Hotel & Restaurant Guancascos
US$75
Hostelworld.com
Finca Bavaria(Gracias)
TripAdvisor
All reviewsthe ownerplace to stayrooms are cleangreat viewin townrelaxing atmospherefree wifinational parkbeautiful hotelplenty of hot waterexcellent foodnice spotspent nightslush gardenssecure parkingenjoy the viewceiling fan
Reviewed 1 May 2014

Man, I could have just told everyone to pack up my things and send them here, and put down roots in this lovely place! The hotel is an environmentalists's paradise, complete with growing plants and trees of all kinds, good practices for conserving water and electricity, and food all made from scratch using fresh local ingredients. Frone, the Dutch proprietor, has spend more than 20 years of her life building this place up and training her employees to take care of it (as well as giving them a decent salary and health care, rare for hotel employees here), and it shows. Medical brigades love this place, because the rates are decent (less than $40 a night for a double room) and it is in the small city of Gracis, Lempira, surrounded by agricultural areas with local people in need of their services.
Comfortable rooms and free wifi in the restaurant complete the amenities - check out my photos to see what this hotel looks like. Do not expect to veg out watching TV, reception is not good - but there is plenty to do - visit the lovely hispanic churches, learn about history and botany of this region in the Casa Galeano, go on a birdwatching trip with William or Edwin (twenty-four bucks for two people for three hours, birds guaranteed!), climb the trails in El Parque Celaque to the highest peak in Honduras (Cero de las Minas, 2,849' high), or visit one of the plantations to see how their excellent local coffee is grown and produced. Credit card accepted, so pack your bags and make your reservations!

Room Tip: If you want a view, choose one of the smaller ones under the restaurant; if you'd rather be among the flowers and trees, any other will do fine. Beds a bit on the hard side, and furniture a bit rustic, only reason I gave a 4 in these categories.
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank bouchardjm
Guancascos, Propietario at Hotel & Restaurant Guancascos, responded to this reviewResponded 23 May 2014

I am glad you enjoyed your stay, looking forward to your next visit.

Reviewed 9 April 2014

We arrived in Gracias later at night to find our room ready and a home style restaurant for food . We were there 2 nights and other than the rooster waking us it was ok . With a breeze and the rain the rooms are ok with no AC. We were in Gracias to see our compassion Canada child , bu I looks like a great place to start to explore the national park . The owner speaks English and can help you with that . When we return to Honduras we will stay here again

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 31 March 2014

Hotel is located away from the centre of town but within walking distance.

Rooms are simple, but spacious and clean. My bed was uncomfortable and for this reason I gave the hotel 4 stars. Each room seems to have a hammock out front.

The hotel restaurant/bar is a fantastic place to check emails, watch the condors and listen to life in the town.

The town has frequent black-outs, but the hotel has its own generator.

For the price of US$25/night, the hotel is excellent value.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled solo
1  Thank Kalaharigeorge
Reviewed 26 March 2014

This beautiful hotel on half way up a small hill is truly one of the nicest places I have stayed in central america! It offers a really nice view over the small town and the surrounding nature. The rooms are very nice and spacey, extremely clean and the beds very comfortable. The food in the restaurant is delicious - also try the fresh fruit shakes! I couldn't stop drinking them :)
Jim, who was taking care of the place at the time I was there, is extremely friendly and helpful! Ask him for advice on what to do and see or where to go for a walk or hike! He got me a map and helped me do the best out of my short (too short!) stay in Gracias. When I left this place I forgot my sunglasses somewhere in the hotel and only realized it after I had left the country. Jim found them and tried sending them back to me through mail. It would have cost a small fortune, so he managed to find a way to send them back to me for free! He gave them to another friendly traveler who passed by a month later and happened to live in the same city than me - on the other side of the globe! Thanks again for the great service, Jim, I will come back! :)

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled with friends
2  Thank Simon F
Reviewed 21 March 2014

My partner and I stayed in this lovely hotel several nights. We initially were only going to stay in Gracias for a day as we passed through. After checking in we found the hotel, its owner, and the employees to be so accomodating, and helpful that we decided to stay for two additional nights. The restaurant, rooms, gardens, and setting were more than I could have imagined. We were given tips on what to see, how to get there, and more. I would definitely recommend this hotel to anyone staying in Gracias. Froni the owner and Jim were so helpful putting together trips we took to the local attractions that we were able to see and do everything we wanted. The National Park of Celaque, a cloud forest was one of the excursions we took, as well as a visit to La Campa, a beautiful village in the mountains where Lencan pottery is still hand made by local artisans. The town itself is quite charming laid out to view from the many terraces this hotel has to offer all set in lush gardens. I am already missing it, and can't wait to return. Thanks for a wonderful stay in Honduras.

Room Tip: I would recommend a room on the top floor overlooking the city, it comes with a beautiful view from a terrace, equiped with hammocks, table, and chairs. Oh and the food is great too.
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple