“Verbally abused by the owner”
Review of Talisman Cafe

Talisman Cafe
Ranked #18 of 28 Restaurants in Waihi
Dining options: Breakfast
Dining options: Breakfast
Reviewed 19 May 2013

Today I had no choice but to go back to this place, as we were driving past, in need of a coffee and a rest between Tauranga and Auckland. We had our small (1.7kg) Pom in the car with us, and of course, we brought her in to the garden area of The Talisman. We didn’t think anything of it, as most cafes are very willing to allow dogs in to their outside areas. Our dog always sits on my lap whenever I go to cafes with her, and is always very quiet. We weren’t going to leave her in the car – it was a hot day.
We only came in for a coffee, so in and out in 10mins or less. Didn’t think this would be a problem at all.

My husband ordered our coffees and came back outside to sit down with me. Our coffees came out, and the waitress told us of the Talisman’s “no dog” policy. I asked if we could just sit for a few minutes while we drank our coffee, and she said, “You’re okay for now”.

Moments later, a man came out (presumably the owner), and started actually yelling at us, calling us “ignorant” and “stupid”, saying that we weren’t allowed to have our dog in the cafe grounds. He continued to yell at us in the same, obnoxious way, for several minutes.

How’s that for customer service!! We gave up trying to talk with him and got up to leave (I hadn’t even had the chance to touch my coffee), when he went up to stand centimetres from my husband, and continued to yell at him. I thought that he was about to attack my husband, he was that angry at us.

I understand that living out in the middle of nowhere makes you lose touch with your people-communication skills, and apparently your manners, but you are in the hospitality industry —- be hospitable. If they had told us nicely about the dog policy, we would have left just the same. No need to verbally abuse us and frighten the other customers with your language and tone. I’m sure they won’t be back either.

What an awful experience. We left the grounds shaken and deeply disturbed.

This cafe is meant to provide a rest stop for worn out travellers (who will probably have pets with them).

If you have a problem with dogs, make your signage outside the cafe clear. A peeling business card-size sticker in the carpark is a bad excuse for signage.

Talisman is losing so much business from having this policy in place – it’s no wonder there are other reviews just on this website complaining that staff at Talisman were rude to them for having their dog in the cafe grounds.

Awful. Absolutely awful. We’ve never been treated like this by anyone. All because of a 1.7kg dog, that sat on my lap and didn’t make a sound.

3  Thank pacificNZ

Reviewed 7 May 2013

We arrived here at lunchtime on a holiday weekend. The place was by no means full yet we waited over an hour to get our food. The woman taking our orders was rude and sullen, the food was expensive for what we got - my Panini was soggy on the bottom and tasteless. I left most of it. Don't bother with this café because they won't bother about you.

2  Thank Marlene W
Reviewed 5 May 2013

I am amazed by some previous reviews and can only comment on what we found. The place is lovely with amazing garden. Inside and out have been so interestingly and tastefully decorated it is a pleasure to sit and look around. We had BLT's and a beautiful piece of carrot cake to finish with coffees. The service was not all that quick but we felt that was because our food was cooked to order rather than just sitting around then reheated.

Seems very unfair to say the staff were unfriendly, we found them very pleasant, maybe different staff or different attitude of customer??? We would definitely go back.

Reviewed 27 April 2013

You would think that the person at the counter of a café should be all about customer service. Not here - we had to wait a couple of minutes until she even acknowledged us. No hello, no smile, nothing. Never mind, we ordered drinks and food, and sat down. Correction - we cleared the table, then sat down. It was a while before anything turned up. When it did, it was all okay. Nothing special, but edible. They seemed incredibly short staffed, people all around us had to clear their table before they could sit, ready for the long wait. Overall, not the best experience - I wouldn't rush back.

1  Thank Holsizzle
Reviewed 31 March 2013

We should have followed our better judgement - a busy Easter day and no patrons! The grounds are lovely, the carrot cake was good, large flat white was a single shot and the extra size was all milk. I had an iced chocolate which arrived about 10 minutes after my husband had finished his coffee. To top it all off they charged 2.5% if you wanted to use your credit card. Don't bother going here - others who came in after us also wondered wherever their order was. The lady who took our order was very surly. Not a worthwhile experience.