“Exceptional”

Ranked #22 of 28 Restaurants in Waihi
Dining options: Breakfast
Dining options: Breakfast
Reviewed 3 February 2014

Stopped here for a coffee and ended up staying for lunch. Good coffee, nice food, reasonable prices, lovely surrounds and exceptionally friendly staff. This is everything you would wish for in a cafe.

Reviewed 19 January 2014

Nice atmosphere but very slow. It took them almost 15mins to warm a lasagne in the microwave.

There seems to be some complaints from dog owners about not being allowed to take in their dogs.

3 cheers to the owners!!! The sign is clear to see - no dogs please. I wouldn't expect to see a dog in any other cafes so I don't see why they expect people to bend the rules around them They seem to be very selfish..

Reviewed 6 October 2013

We had coffee and a pie here after our Karangahake Gorge cycle. The cafe is lovely, atmospheric, and lots of though has gone into its decor and styling. Both outdoor and indoor seating is available.

And, our coffee and food was just perfect.

Reviewed 13 September 2013 via mobile

Love this place and location. Great place to stop and have a coffee and cake on way to and from Tauranga and Rotorua.

Reviewed 19 May 2013

Today I had no choice but to go back to this place, as we were driving past, in need of a coffee and a rest between Tauranga and Auckland. We had our small (1.7kg) Pom in the car with us, and of course, we brought her in to the garden area of The Talisman. We didn’t think anything of it, as most cafes are very willing to allow dogs in to their outside areas. Our dog always sits on my lap whenever I go to cafes with her, and is always very quiet. We weren’t going to leave her in the car – it was a hot day.
We only came in for a coffee, so in and out in 10mins or less. Didn’t think this would be a problem at all.

My husband ordered our coffees and came back outside to sit down with me. Our coffees came out, and the waitress told us of the Talisman’s “no dog” policy. I asked if we could just sit for a few minutes while we drank our coffee, and she said, “You’re okay for now”.

Moments later, a man came out (presumably the owner), and started actually yelling at us, calling us “ignorant” and “stupid”, saying that we weren’t allowed to have our dog in the cafe grounds. He continued to yell at us in the same, obnoxious way, for several minutes.

How’s that for customer service!! We gave up trying to talk with him and got up to leave (I hadn’t even had the chance to touch my coffee), when he went up to stand centimetres from my husband, and continued to yell at him. I thought that he was about to attack my husband, he was that angry at us.

I understand that living out in the middle of nowhere makes you lose touch with your people-communication skills, and apparently your manners, but you are in the hospitality industry —- be hospitable. If they had told us nicely about the dog policy, we would have left just the same. No need to verbally abuse us and frighten the other customers with your language and tone. I’m sure they won’t be back either.

What an awful experience. We left the grounds shaken and deeply disturbed.

This cafe is meant to provide a rest stop for worn out travellers (who will probably have pets with them).

If you have a problem with dogs, make your signage outside the cafe clear. A peeling business card-size sticker in the carpark is a bad excuse for signage.

Talisman is losing so much business from having this policy in place – it’s no wonder there are other reviews just on this website complaining that staff at Talisman were rude to them for having their dog in the cafe grounds.

Awful. Absolutely awful. We’ve never been treated like this by anyone. All because of a 1.7kg dog, that sat on my lap and didn’t make a sound.

3  Thank pacificNZ