After some extensive travels in Greece and Turkey it is time to review Hotel Acrogiali on Mykonos. The hotel is located right at the heart of Platis Gialos beach and despite the peak season crowds this beach is a pleasant place to be. This is surely the reason the hotel is so popular - being beachfront - but there is no pool. The hotel itself struggles to reach a four star rating, now being tired, in need of some renovations and without the hospitality ethic we experienced elsewhere in the islands and in Turkey. It is not a cheap hotel for what it offers, our best price being direct booking on their own site (with a discount) at 253 euros for 3 nights ($420 NZ). You would be wise to compare prices and what you want from such a hotel.
The free hotel shuttle pick up and drop off at the port is a bonus that attracted us. Otherwise it is an effort to get from the new port to Platis Gialos, and the new port is a nightmare with poor systems of arrivals and departures - long queues, significant delays, behind schedule, passengers pushing, no courtesy at all, competing ferries and hydrofoils, health and safety challenges, chaos followed by calm - the Greek Island ferries.
The garden view rooms at Acrogiali are very rustic and in need of renovation to achieve 4 star. They are of good size and the bedding is good, but the bathroom and some fittings need attention, and the air con needs to be persevered with. The outside sitting area is very small if you intend to use the balcony or ground floor patio to relax on. Otherwise it is the beach and the loungers where everyone else is. The breakfast is inclusive but is very ordinary and without the expected inclusions for the hotel's rating compared to many similar rated Greek island hotels. There is a small breakfast room for serving, then a large open-air patio dining area which is very basic but it does overlook the beach. Avoid the chain smokers at breakfast. Reception's service varies depending on who is on duty. Within a day or so you will realise this.
We found eating in the evening better at several next door tavernas, where there was music and great house wine carafes, and there is plenty of choice. Otherwise head into Mykonos town early evening for sunsets, happy hours, the pelicans, many tourists off the cruise ships, and great snacks and beers
The beach is narrow and the whole extent of the hotel frontage has sun loungers and nowhere is smoker free. The loungers and umbrellas have the problem of many hotels with conspicuous inconsiderate guests reserving them very early in the morning and not using them - especially impossible to get front row sun loungers. They are in the usual beach pattern rows and the back ones are usually available, but these ones are also hired out to non hotel guests. The sea is cold and therefore we missed having a pool as an alternative.
The best option proved to be spending several days at Paradise (not recommended) and Super Paradise (recommended) beaches which are accessed by small boats leaving from the pier just beside the hotel. Fixed price monopoly and crowded boats but worth the effort for the coastal views and decent expansive beach. Hiring loungers was not expensive.
It is easy to access Mykonos Town by the regular local bus at the corner (3 minutes walk), cheap price and there is an ATM and bank at the town bus terminal that is situated elevated above the port. Below the terminal is the maze of lanes that are the beauty of Mykonos, but confusing and so easy to get lost especially returning to the bus in the evenings. So look for landmarks on the first few occasions. Dining at the old port area is pleasant and there is a variety of cuisines and prices. Great place for a late afternoon beer.
We enjoyed Mykonos and the Platis Gialos beach area but would think twice about this hotel. You are paying for the location on the beach with other expectations of a 4 star rating lacking.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Hotel Acrogiali is a 4-star beach hotel, situated on one of the most beautiful beaches of Mykonos, Platy Gialos.All rooms feature air conditioning, satellite TV, and a balcony with sea or garden view. Free Wi-Fi is available at the Acrogiali Hotel.Acrogiali's restaurant offers both Greek and Italian cuisine at the beachfront terrace.The town of Mykonos is a 10-minute bus ride from Platis Yialos beach. Other local beaches can be reached by boat.A free airport shuttle service is available. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, Ebookers, Travel Republic (UK), Hotels.com, Odigeo, Traveltool, S.L.U., Bookgreece.com and HotelQuickly so you can book your Acrogiali Hotel reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Acrogiali Platys Gialos
- Acrogiali Hotel Platys Gialos
- Acrogiali Hotel Mykonos, Greece