“Had a Lovely stay”

LABRANDA Oasis Mango
Reviewed 10 August 2014

Just returned from Oasis mango apartments after a 7 day from 2nd August till 9th August 2014.
Stayed in room 311, which wasn't too far away from the pool etc.
Everything was very clean no complaints at all.
All staff were very helpful and polite, But a special mention to Miguel and Raul, 2 of the waiters, I have to say they were the 2 best waiters I have ever had dealings with, so so polite, would do anything for you to make your stay pleasurable. Raul never stopped smiling.
Overall a lovely stay would go again.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank David B
manager_oasismango, Directora at LABRANDA Oasis Mango, responded to this reviewResponded 4 February 2015

Dear David,
We would like to thank you for your friendly comment. Feedback helps us to improve our services and we are pleased to read that we have met your expectations.
We are happy you enjoyed your stay and hope to see you again soon.

Reviewed 9 August 2014

I have never felt more compelled to write a review on here as I do now.

As great a tool that Trip advisor is, it also has the potential to ruin the build up to a family holiday that hard working people have slogged all year for, by knee jerk posts from visitors, or those with a specific agenda. Or those that have just had a rubbish holiday and so get stuck into their accommodation.

I read Trip advisor when I book somewhere, but have taught myself to mainly pay attention to the positive comments! Which is what I did when we booked this many months ago. It's good to get a balanced view, but some of the comments on here...well they just don't add up.

I didn't read the latest negative reviews that have appeared the last couple of weeks, but I was advised of them by my partner during our very enjoyable stay. So make of this what you will...

- First up. If you have booked this holiday expecting the Burj Khalifa, then quite frankly you are an idiot, and I would worry about you finding your way through passport control at your local airport, never mind submitting a rational review on a public website.

- Ok, so the hotel looks tired. And when we arrived I did think "well it's only a week" - you soon realise that it is purely cosmetic. I don't think you turn a corner without seeing a cleaner. They really are all over the place. We even commented that the "public" toilets - those in the dining and pool area, actually smell really nice! They are being constantly cleaned. The place could do with a whitewash.The yellow paint is a bit nineties, and probably doesn't help its appearance. Also a new hotel sign probably wouldn't go amiss. But that's about it.

- Most important bit for most people it seems - Food. Well let's be straight. This is an all inclusive place. People use it for different reasons. We generally tend to use it for breakfast and lunch (if we are about), but will go into the town for an evening meal 4 nights out of 7. Whilst many budgets wouldn't stretch to this, what I would say is if you are there for a week then I still wouldn't see eating there every evening as a particularly huge tragedy. The breakfasts are spot on, and everything (and more) than you would get if you went into town and paid 5 Euros for a belly buster. All the pastries are available (I would generally have 3 croissants for starters!) and then there is a full cooked breakfast selection (even English sausages), baked beans, fried and scrambled eggs...then the fruit (that I tend to swerve!). All your hot drinks as much as you like, and the usual selection of highly concentrated fruit juices!

Lunch has the usual pasta, chips, meat dish, fish dish...and it is effectively the same for the evening meal - however, all the food is perfectly edible, some dishes better than others, but there was ALWAYS something to make a meal from, and it certainly wasn't the inedible slop that some people have suggested. It is standard European All Inclusive food. We have stayed in Mexico, where food to North Americans is effectively the Holy Grail - so the standard is very, very high. But on this continent, I don't think we are there yet. But Oasis Mango was certainly not at a terrible standard compared to others I have experienced. We have kids of 6 and 16, and both ate well each day.

- The Hill? Ok. This is Tenerife. A Volcanic island. It's pretty hilly. With respect, when we arrived, we expected we might have to walk. If you are in a wheelchair, you may not be able to push yourself up the hills. But then if that's the case, don't visit Los Christianos unless you are staying on the front. The gradient of a hill is not the fault of the hotel (well I suppose it is, as they built it there), but it would also rule out lots of other hotels that line the "hilly" street. Anyway, I am a 37 year old bloke and carried my 6 year old son on my shoulders most nights up this hill, and dragged his 40 year old Mum and 16 year old sister with us, and nobody uttered much of a complaint. We were even on the 5th level at the apartments, so had more steps to climb when we got back, and it really wasn't an issue. Unless you genuinely do suffer from a disability, or are clinically obese.

- The pool is the only box that could get a low mark, and that is purely due to the fact that there aren't enough beds for residents. However, as is the case with all hotels - get there early and you will get a decent spot! We are not into the racing for a bed, and let others get that out of their system. However it really isn't a holiday spoiler.

- The local area is great for getting out for a meal or drinks. I won't go into this too much, as I don't think this is under any debate. Lot's of very reasonably priced restaurants about (We were fed VERY well at steak restaurant Taurus last night, for a family of 4 with 2 courses each and drinks for 70 euros) - and you can get a pint for 1.50 and a wine for 2.50 a glass. There are a couple of small strips of bars and restaurants 10 minutes down the road, or a 20 minute walk into Los Christianos itself - although if you are staying for a week, you may find the local bars and restaurants do you fine.

So that's my initial take on things....I just want to say, please don't let comments on here ruin your holiday - it really isn't the hovel some people make it out to be! If it was, we would have left on day 1.

Oh, and I saw one cockroach all holiday. It was squashed on the floor, in the middle of Los Christianos.

I would just say go and enjoy!

Room Tip: Rooms on the end of the blocks benefit from larger balconies. We were in 501 which was great.
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family
16  Thank Graham H
manager_oasismango, Directora hotel at LABRANDA Oasis Mango, responded to this reviewResponded 4 February 2015

Dear Graham,

we want to thank you for your positive comment, specially for all the good you said about the staff because they are working very hard and when we read an opinion like yours our goal is reached.! thanks so much .
We would like to thank you for your extensive and positive feedback as it will surely help future guests to get an overall idea of the hotel.

Reviewed 9 August 2014

Stayed 25th July to 1 Aug with husband and 6 yr old son. Stayed in Room 310.

Pros: The pool - our little boy loved the pool! But beware of the big rock at the side of the pool, banged my toe on this a few times, so did my husband. Also, the pool goes from shallow to suddenly a big drop to then quite deep which isn't great for kids. We tried to keep our little boy in the toddler pool as we knew it was safer. The other downside was trying to get a free sunbed but we just couldn't be bothered with all that hassle of queuing up at 9.15am and racing round the pool like an eejit to try and get one.
The staff were very helpful, they did try their best. The waiters were so hardworking and so friendly - really lovely people! Miguel and Juan Carlo - were so friendly and they never stopped. The cleaners were lovely too and worked so hard. If you wanted clean towels you just had to leave the old ones in the bath tub and they were replaced.
Rooms were clean and spacious which is a must for me. We also had a lovely view from our balcony.
The beach was lovely, only 12 Euros for 2 sunbeds. Again our little boy loved this and it was great to get out of the hotel complex for a while.
The beer (it was called Tropical) - my husband loved it.
The supermarket down the hill was great, although carrying lots of bottles of water and shopping up the steep hill can be a bit of a slog especially in the sun. Reception does 5ltr bottles of still water for 2 Euros, (but you can get an 8ltr bottle cheaper at the supermarket).

Cons: The food. We did have to eat out a few times which I think if you have paid all-inclusive (like we did) its defeating the purpose of going all inclusive. I'm not really a drinker but was looking forward to the cocktails. Again I was disappointed - the juice was very bitter and there was a funny taste of the pina colada. I know I'm quite a fussy eater but I honestly believe the average person wouldn't eat chips with brussel sprouts or cauliflower!! Nothing for kids at all - no pizzas or burgers so my little boy lived on bread and chips all week. The desserts were cakes full of synthetic cream (which I hate). The snacks were ridiculous - tired ham sandwiches and more synthetic cream cakes - that was it! The only good meal was breakfast to be honest - I liked the scrambled eggs and sausages, however after a week of lunch & dinner at this hotel I was glad to get home. (Oh and the tea is awful - I drank coffee all week), however we did bring our own teabags for the apartment so at least we got a decent cup while we were there.
No Air-Con anywhere in the hotel (which was kind of open-aired), so there was nowhere to go and 'cool down'.
No entertainment at all not even any music so I found evenings were very understated and a bit boring to be honest, we just ended up going up to our balcony and reading.

Watch out for the taxi drivers - sometimes we were charged between 3.50 & 4 euros to the shops and then another chancer charged us 6 euros 86!!!

I can honestly say I wouldn't go back, it was my first trip to Tenerife and it's kind of put me off.

Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
manager_oasismango, Directora Hotel at LABRANDA Oasis Mango, responded to this reviewResponded 4 February 2015

Dear Gail,
We want to thank you for your comments as your rating helps us to improve our services. We are sorry to read that we have not met your expectations.
We have taken note of your suggestions and see what we can do to improve.
Please get in touch with us through our e-mail:
manager.oasismango@mpihotels.com
The Hotel Management

Reviewed 5 August 2014

We have just returned from Oasis Mango after a 10 day stay, my husband and 2 kids ... Its all about what you expect - perfectly fine for what we paid for but not a five star resort

Staff friendly, everything very clean and well kept, rooms nice. Location is away from the hustle and bustle of the town so if you are looking for somewhere that is a bit more lively, this isn't for you. However there is a bus stop down the road and a taxi costs about 4 euros from the beach so its not like you are in the middle of nowhere. Nice supermarket down the road. We went to Sian Waterpark for the day which was fab and there is a courtesy bus that stops just down the road.

The pool is clean but can get crowded in the middle of the day. The drawback is the sunbeds - if you want one you need to queue up and join the mad rush for sunbeds around 915. If you go late afternoon, you will find some spare ones .... My kids loved the pool and there were some inflatables, however if it gets too crowded they will ask you to not use them.

We didn't eat in the dining room, so can't comment on the food and if you want night entertainment - its not that sort of place. But if you want a nice quiet cheap family holiday, it was perfectly fine.

4  Thank Emma L
manager_oasismango, directora HOTEL at LABRANDA Oasis Mango, responded to this reviewResponded 4 February 2015

Dear Emma,
Thank you for your feedback. We have taken note of your suggestions and would like to thank you for comments, as it helps us to improve our services.
We are happy in overall you have enjoyed your stay and hope to see you back in future.

Reviewed 4 August 2014

Right, this is going to be quite a long review but due to some of the remarks made on here I only think it is fair to cover as much as possible.

I have just spent a week at the Oasis Mango apartments with my wife and three children ages 11, 9 and six.

Two days before we left I read Trip Advisor about this accommodation and I was so worried I would have changed the location if I could have due to the negative remarks made about the Oasis Mango.

I have stayed in some very nice hotels over the years in some of the following locations- Barbados, St Lucia, Florida and several other locations over Europe. I am no snob but neither am I someone who will just settle for anything.

We pulled up outside of the hotel at approximately 15.00 hours and I dared to open my eyes and look at the hotel, first impressions were it was ok, lt is situated in a slightly built up area but it was ok. I then went to the reception area which was clean and we were greeted by staff who were helpful.

We then went to our room 702 which was the block at the top of the hill, the room was clean and spacious and I can honestly say it was the largest balcony I have ever had, much larger than the ones in Barbados and St Lucia. The views were ok and I will try and attach some of the views from the balcony.

Due to the reviews about the food at the hotel we decided to eat out on this occasion as it had been a long day and we needed a decent meal and we didn't think we would get it at this hotel.

We then headed back to our room after eating and yes we walked back up the hill which I will cover later. On returning to the room we put the kids to bed and this is probably my only minor gripe about the room but the beds were quite hard but it is no big deal.

The following day we got up and decided to have breakfast at the hotel, after all how wrong can someone get a breakfast!! We were greeted by the waiters there who treated us as if we had been there for days. There was a choice of fruit, cereal and cooked English breakfast along with toast and rolls which were all fresh.

We spent the day by the pool which was another one of out worries but the pool was clean and there always seemed to be someone walking around tidying up throughout the day. The pool is salt water which isn't what I prefer but it didn't stop my kids spending most of the day in there so what do I know!!

My kids took full advantage of the free drinks and ice cream during the day. There are certain times of the day when the restaurant is closed and snacks are put out which are only basic sandwiches but you really have to ask the question, do you really need snacks between the restaurant being open three times a day??? If yes then this is not the hotel for you and you probably need to question if you eat to much or not!!

I have to admit my kids are not fussy eaters so you cannot gauge to much from them but they ate three times a day and never complained about the food once. I found the choice of food adequate and there was a reasonable choice bearing in mind they are not only catering for British. The restaurant was full every time we went there so the food can't be that bad.

The staff were always very friendly and the kids loved some of the waiters especially as they would often have little games with them. Miguel in particular is a great asset for the hotel.

Going back to the hill, it takes approximately fifteen minutes to walk down to the beach/main town. I am in my forties and don't consider myself to be overly fit but even I managed to walk back up the hill to the hotel a couple of times although I wouldn't recommend it during the hottest part of the day. If you find the hill to much of an issues then a cab from the beach back to the hotel costs about 3.50 Euros.

I could go on much more about how much we enjoyed this holiday but in short if you want five star rooms, meals entertainment and service then pay to go somewhere that offers it.

If you want a reasonably priced hotel with friendly staff, clean rooms and clean restaurant, reasonable food and reasonable views then I would say this is a good choice.

9  Thank Kevin H

Dear Kevin,

Reviewed 30 July 2014 via mobile

We went there for a 10 days holiday. Hotel is very clean and nice. Staff there fantastic! Everyone very helpfull and polite. We really like Miguel, he is absolutely great!
Food is tasty but always the same, snack bar very poor. Swimming pool is nice and clean but too small for that many people, also we didn't like sunbed races! Hill and stairs are definately a bad side of this hotel but taxi cost only 3-4€. Very close to supermarket Dialprix, beach 20 mins walk. Lots of restaurants close to the hotel. I would recommend this hotel to my friends, and we will definately come back there next year!

• Stayed: July 2014
5  Thank Anna T

Dear Anna,

Reviewed 29 July 2014

stayed in apartment 101, it was close to the reception and the pool bar area. The room was very clean and the maid service was fantsastic towels changed when ever needed (just pop them into the bath) apart from Sundays. Food service was ok, good choice, Can get a little repetitive, but tasty, The pool area is a little small for the amount of apartment there are, There is a race for beds after breakfast.

2  Thank flowers74

Dear Flowers,
We are happy you have enjoyed your stay with us and would like to thank you for your feedback, it has been very helpful.
We hope to see you back in future.