“Great place to stop”

Paloma Beach Apartments
Reviewed 13 November 2013

We have just returned from a week break at the Paloma Beach Apartments it's our 3rd visit this year we always book to stop in one of the 2 bedroom penthouse rooms. The standard of all of the rooms we have stopped has always been of a superior standard compared with and of the other apartments that we have stopped in around Los Cristianos. They have always clean upon arrival, the communal areas are always clean and the pool is cleaned every evening. You may have to empty the bin yourself but it's not hard as the recycling bin and rubbish bin is only a few steps away from the side entrance. You do have to pay 2euro for a sun bed which I did find a bit of a pain the first time we went but there is a big up side to this, you don't have to get up at 8 in the morning to get a sun bed, what ever time of day you want to go to the pool you can get a sun bed. As an overall consideration I would highly recommend these apartments to any of my friends or family.

Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Mark C
There are newer reviews for Paloma Beach Apartments

Reviewed 11 November 2013

Book early to avoid disappointment! We are in one of Paloma Beach apartments as I write. They are spacious, well situated and well run by a team of friendly, helpful and efficient staff. Any problems (few) reported to reception are dealt with immediately by the reception lads or the cheerful cleaning girls who all work their socks off to make your stay enjoyable. (John is neither obnoxious nor rude and can only pass on management rules so don't shoot the messenger! )There are facilities for a wash and brush up if you are leaving later as apartments are rarely available after 10am because of the high turnover of visitors to this popular resort. Many are return clients like ourselves; this is our 3rd three week stay since November 2012 with another four weeks already booked for February next year. It seems that some bring cameras just to seek out trivialities instead of photographing a beautiful sunset from the balcony or taking shots of the lovely well maintained pool and gardens. Sheets changed, towels changed, just remember self catering means exactly that!

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 10 November 2013

having read some recent reviews i have to say i was a little bit anxious about staying here i need not have worried our apartment was clean and spacious with everything we could need for our stay i particularly liked having the security gate outside the front door and the lockable shutters on the patio doors the apartment came equiped with ceiling fans a safe and an excellent shower we didnt have a problem with towel changes bed linen changes or emptying our own bins as all of this is clearly stated on the web site i cant comment on the staff as we had very little dealings with them apart from checking in and booking a taxi to the airport overall we really enjoyed our stay and would return again

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled with friends
3  Thank maggie1430
JohnParkes, Owner at Paloma Beach Apartments, responded to this reviewResponded 11 November 2013

Hi Maggie,

Thanks for your review! I must admit it's been a strange month for reviews and we've taken a kicking - prior to the recent run of poor reviews we had 25 consecutive 4 star or 5 star reviews - so we knew we were going to come down to earth wih a bump sooner or later!!!

The positives from the poor reviews is that we have re-invigourated the cleaning & maintenance and paid closer attention to detail, basically we're putting in steps to up our game - we hope our guests will bear the fruits of this over the coming weeks and months. We are all human and we do get things wrong from time to time and in a way it's good to get some criticism - even if it does upset us!!

Anyway, I'm very pleased to read your experience was a good one - we hope to welcome you back again soon.

Kind regards

Reviewed 10 November 2013

Our family stayed for a week in a Teo bed apartment. Staff was nice other customers were calm, mostly retired pensioners, but the pub placed within the hotel both kept us awake and woke us up In the morning. The pubs cut the music at 12 and then closes down quite loudly which also of course is as loudly as when they opens before 0800 in the morning. The very odd thing about loud music and noise is that your are not aloud to swim in the pool after 6pm because you might disturbe the other guests??? Someone said it also was because they put chemicals in the pool during that time. Well why not be a little more precise about the chemicals than between 6pm and 8 am or why not invest in another cleaning system.

Internet exist but is very slow, they clean the rooms once a week when you leave but change towels pretty often.

If the pub could stop playing and the pool could be open I would definitely recommend this hotel. It's a nice area and the pool is pretty warm. But today I recommend you to find another hotel.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled with family
5  Thank Hampewik

Hi there and thanks for your review.

You are correct with regard to the opening hours of the onsite bars and restaurants - unfortunately we have no control over their opening hours - however there are very few complaints like this, so I think it's fair to say this is not an issue for most guests. However had you had mentioned this during yor stay we would have done all we can to move you to another apartment where youwould have not been disturbed.

Regarding the pool, the official opening times are 10am to 6pm because that is the time table for the lifeguard. Guests can swim after 6pm but it is on the understanding that there is no lifeguard and therefore at their own risk.

On the welcome letter which all guests receive it says in the internal rules of the complex:

"Do not use the pool between 8pm and 9.30am. "Why?" – Aside from the perils of swimming in the dark, chemicals such as chlorine are put into the pool in the evenings to help keep it clean, if you go in the pool during these times it can be dangerous if you were to swallow the water or get it in your eyes as the chemicals will be at their most potent. The pool is cleaned manually in the morning and is ready for use at 10.00am."

Internet is slow at the moment, this is becuase we are the furthest complex away from the telephone exchange in Las Americas. We are working on a new system that will send a much faster line across to us via microwaves, which we hope will not only give guests faster free wifi at the pool area but also free WiFi in the apartments - this will hopefully be available in the not to distant future. At which point I believe we will be the first accommodation in Los Cristianos to give free WiFi in all units - that is a fantastic bit of added value that all guests will appreciate I'm sure.

Thanks again for reviewing us and thanks for staying with us!

Regards

Reviewed 5 November 2013

I booked 2 apmts in this complex for my family (2 adults 2 kids and Nana). The very first thing I was put off by was the guy on the phn. He was anything but friendly and I felt he just wanted me off the phn as I was delaying him. On arrival however, we met with a very nice security guard who went to great lengths to show us to our apmts which were on complete opposite sides of the building to one another which was unfortuneate for us.) The differences between the two apmts were unbelievable, one totally new and trendy and one old, shabby with smelly presses and utensils that you wouldn't even attempt to use. We used the modern apmt for everything apart fm sleeping. We decided not to make a fuss and just got on with our holiday. Then it came close to check out and as we didnt need to leave for the Airport til noon the next day, I went down to reception @ 5pm on the day before to ask for a possible late checkout for perhaps one of the apmts. I immediately recognised the voice of being that of the guy I'd booked the apmt through. He was every bit as unfriendly, obnoxious, arrogant bordering rude as he had been on the phone when booking(John, he said his name was, he's the ginger haired guy who doubles up as the sunbed guy around the pool). He didnt even ask me what extra time I needed (even an hr in one of the apmts would've helped) It was clearly much easier for him the say 'No'. I then went on to ask him to book our transfer for us but because we didnt give him 24hrs notice for a minibus as there were 5 of us and only 19hrs he would have to book us 2 individual taxis @ €25each......how ridiculous is that????!!!! (This red haired guy John definitely needs a change of career I think....dealing with customers just isn't for him) We got a number of a local Taxi firm ourselves who collected us in a people carrier for €25 in total for 5 people, the number is:0034922747511.

Room Tip: Do not book here unless you know what apmt you're getting as standard of apmts vary too much. D...
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled with family
24  Thank Regular_13
JohnParkes, Owner at Paloma Beach Apartments, responded to this reviewResponded 7 November 2013

Hi there,

Firstly thanks for staying with us and thanks for taking the time to write a review. You are right that some apartments are more modern than others, this is thanks to an ongoing update of all of the apartments that we are constantly working through – at some point we will finish this round of updates but I’m sure you & other guests will appreciate the end product, and it’s good to know you were pleased with the apartment that had received a face lift.

Although this is largely irrelevant in the grand scheme of your review; the apartments weren’t on the opposite side of the complex from each other, they were about 1 to 2 minutes away from each other albeit on different floors. It is always our aim to get customers close to each other but it is not always possible especially when special requests are made as was your case – my apologies for not getting you as close as you would have liked.

I feel your criticism of John is very unfair, he is extremely hard working, helpful, friendly and well known here for being extremely good with guests – indeed he has worked with customers his entire professional life. I have, until now, never met anyone with a bad word to say about him regarding his professional work or his personal life, and he’s been working with me for 6 years on a very small island.

Looking at the things that upset you during your conversations with him I can confirm that the transfer company El Mar do not take reservations less than 24 hours in advance – so he was right that they wouldn’t have taken a booking and it was futile attempting to get you on a mini bus at such short notice – the cut off point for transfers is 2pm the day before departure, and 2pm on Saturday if departing on a Monday (El Mar’s office do not work Sundays). We are unable to change other companies policies.

The maximum number of passengers a taxi will take is 4 unless you can get a mini van etc – the company you got one through are the same company we use. It was always our understanding that although there are bigger cars, they are only available to order “on spec” (if available) and cannot be pre-booked. Because of this John offered you two taxis and he was correct to do so based on his, and our knowledge and experience of working with the local taxi company – HOWEVER: upon calling the company this morning they informed me that we can now pre book 5 seater taxis but the rules for 6 and 7 seaters remains as we understood previously. So your review does at least give us one positive in so much as we learned something new – albeit something that the taxi firm should have informed us about a long time ago, and something that John would have gladly offered you if he had known.

Regarding your check out time, firstly the time for checking out is as a rule 10am. If we can stretch that to 11am, 12 or 1pm, we will – and it will be free of charge and our pleasure to help – but this is always based on the arrival times of the next guests. You were given a time based on the arrival time of the next guests, who were both arriving early morning. I can confirm to you that John did look into this for you but was genuinely unable to help you – the times you received were not just “standard times” as I overheard you say during your conversation with John.

Upon speaking to John about your review, I can tell you that he is very upset by your remarks. He is a genuinely nice guy with a gentile nature who always does his best to help everyone – he has no personal agenda to make your last day or journey to the airport difficult. He had nothing to gain by not booking you on a transfer or taxi - he couldn’t do as you wanted based on his understanding of how each provider works – it also does not benefit him to have an unhappy customer writing a character assassination of him on Tripadvisor.

I think your critique of him is very unfair and totally unjustified – some of the personal remarks are personally insulting, derogatory and in my mind just wrong.

I’m sure in your working life you are sometimes unable to help a customer because of time scales and outside circumstances – I’m sure all reasonable people do their best to help customers, I know John is more than reasonable and i know he is a kind man - but sometimes it is not always possible to do what the customer wants. When that happens I don’t think the solution is to try and destroy that person with personal insults on a review site.
None of your gripes about the apartments were ever mentioned during your time with us and if we’d had known how you felt we would have tried to rectify the situation during your stay. Your review seems to be based on a personal clash of characters based on you not being able to get what you want from someone who was unable to give you what you wanted.

I think you should genuinely consider retracting this review.

Hoping you reconsider your remarks.

Yours truly,

John Parkes

Reviewed 3 November 2013

We stayed for a week at the end of October. Our apartment was a 2 bedroom apartment, plants of space, nice and clean, good powerful showers. Our apartment was above the pool bar, and not overly noisy. We hired fans so that we could close the doors if needed. A small fee for the sun beds, but this reflected the lovely clean pool, pool area, so not an ordeal to pay. Staff we're very helpful and nothing was too much trouble.

A safe, clean and well located complex. We travelled with 2 adults, a 5 yr old and an 19 week old baby. A good holiday, we will return next year.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled with family
2  Thank LondonSJKk
JohnParkes, Owner at Paloma Beach Apartments, responded to this reviewResponded 5 November 2013

Hi guys,

Thanks very much for your review - I'm glad you enjoyed your stay in Paloma Beach Apartments. It was a pleasure having your family stay with us.

See you again next time!

Regards

Reviewed 2 November 2013

We arrived at Paloma Beach at 8pm, as expected directions and access were left behind reception in an envelope. We completed the check in the next morning at 10am.
Our appartment was spacious and clean and kitted out with all the mod cons - flat screen TV, Sky and stereo along with all the essential kitchen appliances and a nice big fridge freezer. Admitidly, the appartment was slightly dated but it did not cause any concern to us.
The complex itself was well maintained, a sizeable pool and plenty of sunbeds to rent for a couple of euros a day. There was also a playground for the younger ones which was in excellent condition. The bar was great, local beer and sangria were our favs!
The Paloma Beach apartments are tucked away, but within a 5 minute stroll you can be amongst the bars and eateries which are in abundance.
We are looking forward to next year when we plan to return with our boys.
Big thank you to all the staff at Paloma Beach who made our stay perfect :)

• Stayed: October 2013
2  Thank Kevdeb123

Hi Kevin & Deb,

Thanks so much for staying with us and taking the time to write a review, it was a pleasure having you and we look forward to seeing you again next summer with your kids this time.

Kind regards