Villa Mandi Golf Resort
Like saving money? We search up to 200 sites for the lowest prices
Excellent 5/5
Gran Oasis Resort(Playa de las Americas)
  • Breakfast included
  • Pool
Golf Resort(Playa de las Americas)
Excellent 5/5
    Green Garden Resort & Suites(Playa de las Americas)
    • Pool
    Compostela Beach Golf Club(Playa de las Americas)
    • Restaurant
    Marylanza Suites & Spa(Playa de las Americas)
    • Pool
    Coral Los Alisios(Los Cristianos)
    Hotel Andrea's(Los Cristianos)
    • Bar/Lounge
    • Restaurant
    LABRANDA Reveron Plaza(Los Cristianos)
    1,037 results
    All reviewskids clubthomson staffself cateringsiam parkgreat holidayquieter poolmin walkfamily resorthotel supermarketevening entertainmentbaby poolpool areamain poolroof terraceplay parkon site shophired a car
    FilterAll languages
    Reviewed 26 April 2014

Within 15 minutes of leaving the airport we thought that we had really chosen well with Villa Mandi, the two reps that guided us to the transfer bus both said "Villa Mandi? Wow excellent choice!". A fellow holiday maker, on the bus, said that she had stayed there at the same time as us last year (Easter holidays) with her young family and said it was excellent, kids clubs and entertainment! Just what we wanted to hear! Ten minutes after we had arrived at the resort (at 8.45pm) the excitement turned to dread, the onsite supermarket was closed and as we decided to go self catering, as three of our children are Coeliac, we had no choice but to leave our bags in reception and rush down to the restaurant as it was closing! All that remained on offer was the final scrapings of the buffet, which my wife and I endured, we ordered chicken breast and boiled potatoes for our children, all of which was pretty inedible, it was more Michelin tyre than Michelin star - suffice it to say we didn't eat there again especially as €70 had changed hands. Our first impressions of the apartment were good, but beware as looks can be deceiving! The beds were rock hard, almost akin to sleeping on a mortuary slab, the kitchen was infested with ants and filled with dirty cooking utensils. Tucked away in one of the cupboards we found the coffee machine which was still full of coffee from the previous inhabitants!

The welcome meeting with the Thomson reps was the usual excursion sales chatter, when we asked about any kids clubs or evening entertainment we were given one of the three key phrases that were drilled into them "sorry, that doesn't start until the 1st of May" - although the brochure did mention season dates we have seen and been told by others that there's always something on and during the school Easter holidays we thought that they may have been - there wasn't. Then we noticed a few kids’ activities on one of the notice boards, we enquired about this and were given stock answer number two "ah yes, that's for TUI's (European arm of Thomson’s parent company) Scandinavian holidaymakers, BUT FEEL FREE TO JOIN IN". My wife spoke to a fellow Brit who tried this with her children and was basically told they couldn't - certainly no joining in as far as they were concerned. The third stock answer was "oh am sorry about that" when we complained about our problems - we did return to our apartment afterwards to find a can of "bug spray" to control the ants! No worries Thomson, we only forked out £3000 for flights and 7 days with an ice cold pool and 6 rock hard beds, that was pretty much all that we received in return.

The biggest gripe was the location of the apartments, it is a mile from anywhere - no man's land fills the void between the resort and the two main towns, Los Cristianos and Playa de las Americas. You have the option of running the risk of being chased across the wasteland by Tanzanian beggars, I wouldn't recommend that excursion especially with young children - it left my wife and daughters petrified, or spend a sizeable portion of your holiday budget on taxis (and as we have four children this usually meant 2 taxis each way as six seater taxis are a rarity). Villa Mandi was listed as a family friendly resort, for this single reason alone I would strongly advise against taking your family here unless you can afford to spend £150 on taxis over 7 days or you have great negotitating skills with scary beggars.

Overall my wife and I were in agreement that this was the worst family we had ever experienced and will never revisit the Villa Mandi or use Thomson or any of it's sister companies ever again.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family
    11  Thank Sean P
    Reviewed 20 April 2014

I went here for a week with my mum and 2 boys aged 9 and 6. We stayed in a 2 bedroom apartment (to sleep 6 really), which was very spacious, very clean and tidy and 4 star. One bedroom was downstairs with a very spacious bathroom, the other was upstairs with another very spacious bathroom and 2 terraces. The air-conditioning was very good and very quiet.The kitchen /eating area was a little small, but we didn't eat in. I wouldn't have wanted to try and attempt at cooking! We ate at the poolside bar everyday, and here the food was okay, although a little expensive. The pool and sunbathing area was very clean and tidy and well-kept. Although the complex talks of 4 pools, only 2 of them are any good for serious playing/swimming - the 2 others are great for toddlers/babies. There was a large climbing frame/park area. The staff were very friendly. My 2 boys made friends and were very happy for 7 days. We went at Easter, there were plenty of people/children in the complex for Thomson to warrant some evening entertainment, because this is what this accommodation lacked, especially as it was a little far out of the towns. It is a taxi ride away to both towns and I wouldn't have walked over the 'waste land'. To rent the pool towels from the hotel was very expensive - so take your own! There was a supermarket on site which was ok, it saved you a car ride into the town for bits. The big 'let down' was the food - this was NOT 4 star quality. The quality of food was poor and the selection was poor - I complained to the Thomson rep. One evening the children's food selection was cold due to a problem. Another evening our fish and chicken was under-cooked. We have had a lot better 3 star meals. And I'm sure they think that children only eat pizza and chips! The food was a let down, which was a shame, because everything else was very nice. Due to the location I wouldn't have wanted more than 7 days here, simply because there was no evening entertainment and my boys would have started to get bored! We would not go there again, but other than the food we were not disappointed with the holiday.

Room Tip: There were 4 of us and we booked in a 2 bedroom apartment (which really sleep 6) but this way you get 2 proper bedrooms with 4 proper beds and 2 bathrooms, as opposed to a 1 bedroom apartment where you would sleep on a bed-setee. We had enough room to move around comfortably.
    • Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family
    3  Thank christine p
    Reviewed 22 March 2014

Just returned from 2 weeks at the villa mandi. To start with I would like to say I agree with all the comments made by gourmet gabi who I believe we often saw sitting by the pool and said hello. Her mum looked like she was having a lovely time.
    Our apartment overlooked a quiet area of the grounds, had a huge balcony which had the sun from midday to early evening. We booked bed and breakfast and were pleased we did. Good selection to suit all tastes and this set us up for the day. My only complaint would be that at times the food could have been warmer. In the evening we walked into los cristianos and found a couple of good restaurants within 15 mins walk. If you are seeking quiet accommodation away from yhe hustle and bustle of los cristianos and las americas I would highly recommend villa mandi.

• Stayed: March 2014
    10  Thank lyarwood27
    Reviewed 16 March 2014

Following a very difficult year of ill health, my Mother asked me to take her for some sun. Our hotel requirements were different from our usual and after a lot of research I opted for self catering and the Villa Mandi seemed to tick all of our boxes. The reality, as it transpired, exceeded our high expectations.

I contacted the complex in advance explaining that we needed a ground floor apartment near the pool. We were allocated what I would consider to be the best room in the house and throughout the holiday the reception staff enquired repeatedly whether or not we were happy with our apartment.

It was undoubtedly the largest one bedroomed apartment I have ever stayed in. There was an enormous terrace beside the main pool and this was furnished with a good quality table and four chairs. I brought two sun loungers onto it so Mum could lounge in the shade. Inside was a large sitting room with a cream leather couch and another armchair, two occasional tables, and a TV storage cupboard with large flat screen satellite tv. A section of this room was dedicated to a self contained kitchen with yet another table and four chairs, a sideboard, and plenty of storage space. A wardrobe completed the storage in this room.

The bathroom was, once again, huge with twin sinks, a bidet, and all the other facilities one might hope for.

The bedroom contained two large and very comfortable single beds pushed together, two lockers, and double mirrored wardrobes. There was plenty of lighting with an attractive feature where some of the lights were concealed behind panels fixed as a backdrop to the beds.

Outside there's a pleasant restaurant and bar (the food is good and very reasonable priced, contrary to other comments here), two adult pools, two child pools. two pool tables, a table tennis table, a crazy golf area, a waterfall, and a well equipped children's playground. There are beautifully landscaped gardens and the entire complex adjoins a full eighteen hole golf course. There is also on site entertainment for children. In the dining room a special banquet is laid out for children with coloured plates, cutlery, and glasses.

The complex is in three distinct sections - the upper section has crazy golf and the quieter pools, the middle section has the main pools and is the liveliest, while the lower section has the main garden area and is the quietest.

There is an on site supermarket, which is expensive, but the convenience far overrides the expense PLUS you simply cannot beat the fresh breads and pastries that are baked there every morning.......not to mention the friendly and pleasant service.

The place is immaculately clean. Yes, we experienced some ants, but that was only when we left food out. The problem was immediately solved by a small cleaning with disinfectant wipes.

Service is impeccable and friendly - I am at a loss to understand the people who found otherwise.

The location is in a very quiet area but this would be entirely suitable for people who do not want to be right on the middle of the hustle and bustle of the main tourist centres. Taxis to and from Los Cristianos and Las Americas cost us anything from €3.90 to €5.00. We walked to Los Cristianos twice and the waste ground referred to in other reviews is, in fact, a network of disused roads which are well paved.

We would undoubtedly go back and I highly recommend this complex.

Room Tip: Ask for a room in your preferred section of the three based on my explanation above.
    • Stayed: March 2014, travelled with family
    9  Thank GourmetGabi
    Reviewed 11 March 2014

This review is about Villa Mandi and not Thompson. If you are interested in hearing about my experience with Thompson then I've written it at the end...so stay tuned.

We are a couple in our mid 30's with a two year old toddler. We love places that:
    1. Have everything we need for our little boy
    2. Aren't chavvy, tacky or feel like a overseas version of Butlins
    3. Have nice spacious and well appointed rooms
    4. Have friendly staff and lovely food

Villa Mandi ticked all of these boxes. It truly provided us with the perfect stay for a family holiday.

We stayed half board. Breakfasts were excellent but the evening meals did become a little repetitive. However it was of a good standard and saved us the walk in Los Cristianos which despite what the Thompson brochure says is a 20 min fast walk definitely not a 10 min walk! This was the only drawback of the hotel. There isn't really anywhere close by to walk to so we had to get taxis and the local bus. It didn't spoil the holiday though, in some ways it was nice to be away from the hussle and bussle. The supermarket next door is very expensive. There are cheaper ones in Los Cristianos with a lot better variety but be prepared to walk back with bags or get a cab.
    One other thing I would say is that the drinks in the hotel are incredibly expensive. Most people bought bottles of water or juice from the supermarket and drank them by the pool. Or you can buy your own wine and beer and keep them in your own kitchen.
    The play areas for Casper were amazing they even had an indoor soft play area which was incredibly well equipt. Even thought the creche wasn't open the facilities were and these were a lifesaver for us.
    It really was the perfect place for our family holiday. We'll be back, but next time we'll hire a car!

For those of you interested in the Thompson experience then in short:

The flights have zero leg room and no TV's so take your own entertainment.
    They kept us waiting at the airport for 2 hours as there was no coach. When it did finally arrive they then wanted us to wait to pick up passengers from the next flight until I kicked off and threatened to change Casper's dirty nappy on the bus!
    The Rep was nowhere to be seen.
    It would have been cheaper and quicker to get a cab rather than pay for transfers.
    The airport staff were rude an unhelpful.
    We won't be travelling with them again.

Room Tip: There are some suites available with roof terraces but there have very narrow steps up to the top with no lift. Just be mindful of that if you're unsteady on your legs or have a child with a pushchair. We had a ground floor room with a private garden terrace which was perfect for us.
    • Stayed: March 2014, travelled with family