“Just returned from lovely family hol”

Villa Mandi Golf Resort
Ranked #6 of 14 Hotels in Los Cristianos
Swindon, United Kingdom
“Just returned from lovely family hol”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 August 2014 via mobile

Just had 2 weeks at the villa mandi. My first trip back to Tenerife since my clubbing days, this time with 2 young kids & elderly mum in tow

Overall we've had a great holiday and no real complaints. The kids club & reps were fantastic and I think work hard on making the holiday enjoyable for the whole family. The more you participate the more I think you get out of the holiday
Donut dan & fab ab would bend over backwards to sort out any issue no matter how small. The ladies around the pool are always up for a laugh and the kids club made my 2 boys holidays with all their fun & games

The pools are good & we used the upper pool the whole time as it was easier to keep an eye on kids and as it's a relatively small resort there was no shortage of other children or adults willing to join in the games or water fights. Just be aware the ground gets super hot and can be slippy. Both figured out the hard way!

The room was one of the largest I've stayed in but kitchen area was poor and as I was half board didn't really use it much. Only one socket for example so can't use kettle/ toaster at same time! The cleaning was ok but I found if I wanted beds/ towels changed they were done promptly. I did expect washing cloths/ fairy or something as had that previously. Wasn't expecting to fork out to buy some basics which was probably my only real niggle

I liked the location being so far out of town & didn't mind the taxi . Don't feel I missed out on anything

The staff were very friendly at the hotel and always willing to help. I found the food OK. Not the best I've had at a Thomson resort but not the worst I've had. No real complaints although if you were vegetarian I think you'd struggle. I do think half board was a cheaper option than self catering. Once we'd had breakfast, only needed a light lunch/ snack to tide us thro till dinner

My boys are missing it already and there were a few sad faces & tears as they left.

Lots of great memories of the villa mandi

One item to note. If you are going to Loro Parque try & do it under your own steam. V expensive, not enough time and it's packed and Organised trip allows only 6 hours when park is actually open 10 hours. It's not enough time to get around everything/ see the shows without being on a regimented time schedule and don't stop for food or loo breaks! Felt a bit cheated on this.

I also found out that I paid full adult price for my mum but she would have got a senior price at the gate on all the trips. So I'll be taking it up with Thomsons

Stayed August 2014
2 Thank Sam_Swindon

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (184)
  • Finnish first
  • Polish first
Wirral, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 August 2014

This was out third trip to the Villa Mandi, having stayed there in 2010 and 2011. We were pleased to be alllocated the room we requested by emailing the hotel directly before travelling. The rooms have been updated slightly since our last vist, with new couch, curtains and headboards. Unfortunately, they haven't updated the 'kitchenette' area and this alongwith the dining table is showing its age. if you're planning on doing some self catering, be aware that there is no normal oven - you just get a 2 ring hob, microwave, kettle, fridge and toaster. There is no freezer (apart from a tiny slot to freeze ice-cubes.

The air con in the rooms cools them well and can be left running by putting any regular card in the slot (doesn't have to be a key card).

The pool is nice, but you have to be standing by your sun bed by 8:30am to get your preferred position. The maintenance man won't let you put towels down until 9am though. Att least it means you don't have to get up at 6am to get your loungers, but it does mean hanging around for half an hour. They have also put some anti-slip surfacing around the pool area (it was very sllippy on our last visits and there were some accidents.)

Staff were very friendly (both Thomson and hotel staff)

On site shop is well stocked, but the Mercadona is cheaper and only a 10-15 minute walk. A lot of people may not like tthe fact that the hotel is not in the centre, but this does mean it is quiet. Taxi is only 5 Euros into Los Cris and there is also a courtesy bus at 10:30 and 11:30.

Avoid the restaurant. Very poor quality and limited choice of food. My recommendation is to stroll down into Los Cristianos and eat at one of the many restaurants. Little Italy diagonally opposite the Mercadona is very good, with friendly staff.

Lunchtime snacks were poor too and the portions were tiny. Best idea is to prepare some snacks, buy drinks from the shop and take it down to the pool with you in a cool bag. Saves a lot of money too. The shop also serves delicious pain-au-chocolates fresh from the oven.

Thomson reps were good, but Thomson seem to have reduced the number of kids activities over the years - no football training, no swim lessons, no Razzmataz.

Beer and wine reasonably priced.

Overall, we would recommend - but avoid the food.

Room Tip: Avoid the restaurant food.
3 Thank Dave W
Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 August 2014

Let’s start with the taxis as they annoyed me every day. It’s only approx. €5 to the Safari centre in Las Americas and most of them feel it is ok to rip you off by adding either €0.50 or €1.70 as a supplement on. You do not have to pay the extra unless you have telephoned for one (€0.50) or if you have gone to the airport or the harbour (€1.70). I had many an argument with them over these extras and one tried to charge me both as it was a Sunday!! I ended up giving them the exact fare without a tip as they know they can’t charge, their faces were a picture when I pointed out their wrongdoing.

The hotel. We were self-catering so couldn’t comment on morning or evening meals. Lunch was just ok and was expensive as far as we were concerned. (We ate at the Empire and Thai Botanical at the safari centre nearly every night as the food and service were what we would expect when paying good money). The rooms were a good size, cleaner was useless. (after walking in the room barefoot for 5 mins you needed a shower to clean your feet!) They did less than the minimum and there was even a day where they didn’t even make the beds. You have to pay for the safe and even channels on the TV as the free ones were useless for a small child to chill out and watch. The sofa bed has to be the worst I have ever slept on.
We thought the reps around the pool did a very good job but need a little more interaction with people around the pool.
The shop is a little expensive for some things but great for others. €0.50 for a 500ml bottle of water which was €1.20 for the same bottle in the bar! I often bought water from the shop and had it with my lunch with no questions asked. They don’t stop you taking your own food & drink to the pool area either.
The sunbeds… yes you had to get up early-ish (you can't put them on the beds untill 9am (well done to the hotel for this) to make sure you got ‘your’ spot that you liked and an umbrella but if you’re not bothered about an umbrella there were free sunbeds after 9:30 on most days.
The shower room for late flights is a small room in the basement as is quite hot with no AC. The reception staff were ok, we never had an issue unlike others.
The football pitch that they have (apparently not theirs) is €25 for 1 ½ hours and they won’t let up on this even though me & my 6 year old son only wanted a little kick about for 15 mins it was going to cost us the full €25 every time (rip off)
We had a nice quiet room facing the park, night time was really quiet and not loud as in other hotels.
We went to Aqualand and we thought it was great for a 6 year old child. €8 in a taxi, cheapish to get in (€61 for 2 adults and a child) and we had great fun. The food is ok there but you can take your own if you wish and they don’t stop you doing this. The queues were not that bad, waiting approx. 20 mins for some rides or 5 mins for others. If you go back for a 2nd day its only €8 each! The dolphin show was great.
Ultimately there is always pro’s & con’s to anywhere you go to stay as everyone’s taste is different. Overall our holiday was a great one and we will be returning to Tenerife but I doubt we would return to this hotel.

2 Thank Stephen C
Lee, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 August 2014

We chose this hotel for our first trial run holiday abroad with 3 boys 5, 5 & 7 yrs. One week, half board. It was a great choice, we weren't disappointed. The 2 bed apartment (306) was huge over 2 floors and all the self catering facilities that you would need. We were really surprised at the size of the terraced areas outside, one to the side of the living area and one roof top terrace at the side of the bedroom upstairs.

We found the restaurant mostly quiet, but service was always very friendly and pleasant. There was always plenty of choice for us, and catered well for the children too.

Children's entertainment was okay, the entertainers were always very energetic and friendly sometimes. We found our days full so didn't really stay too late after the kids stuff. Outside was a more quiet bar area where a few adults could enjoy a more peaceful drink.

I felt the facilities were safe with young children. Only gripe was the shower area to side of main pool which dipped down about 10cm and tripped so many people over as it wasn't very visible. My son hurt his hands and knees quite badly on this. The apartments felt safe and the one walk we did do to the beach with the kids felt safe too, just a little long for little legs so once was enough.

We shopped in the supermarket on site and found it very adequate for half board needs. We always got sunbeds although we did have to be on the mark at 9am to get a good spot.

Wifi was useless. paid for the week and could only access it once? maybe just me?

We travelled with Thompson and the reps were friendly but we were a little mislead on a trip we booked to Loro Parque. This attraction is a good 1hr 45 min trip (not a max 1hr 20min trip), which is a big difference with kids in tow. Once we had arrived there it was so crowded that we missed loads of stuff, after a few trips to the loo with kids, lunch and 3 shows it was time to leave on the coach at 4.30pm! Definitely not enough time to enjoy even a quarter of the things on offer here.

Siam park on the other hand for the kids was a short taxi trip and amazing. I would happily have done 2 days there. On leaving the park they hand out vouchers for a discounted second visit if its within so many days.

Secondly the rep advised that the transfer back to the airport was about half an hour. It was actually a good hour on the coach around the other hotels of Los Christianos and I would have much rather have had an extra half an hour at the hotel and paid for a quick taxi trip to the airport.

Loved the sun, loved the area, beaches, sea, and had a very good first adventure into holidays abroad with the family!

2 Thank HRmum
Cheltenham, England, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 August 2014

We returned here after our first trip 3 years ago and stayed for 10 days over end July/start Aug 2014 and was really pleased to see the exceptionally high standards had been maintained. We stayed in room 242 (same room we had first time) which is located towards the back of the complex which we liked.

The Complex is exceptionally maintained and to a high standard throughout and I found it quite a pretty resort. The staff were absolutely brilliant and always friendly, cheerful and ready to help. Most of the staff speak pretty good English and all the reception staff speak it to a very high standard and they were always happy to assist the clients no matter what the issue was.

The rooms are very spacious and of a very high quality, the kitchen is ok but we only used the kettle. Their was plenty of spare pillows, linen and blankets. The air conditioning worked great and the room was spotless and in very good repair. The maids came and cleaned the rooms to a high standard every day and we were always left clean towels, sheets etc.

The Pools are split into a smaller one of the higher terrace (which is a real sun trap if you want to work on your tan) and the larger pool which is situated by the main bar/restaurant. The pools were clean and the water temperature was just right and not at all cold. there is also a small paddling pool for the toddlers.

The resort team was very good and always worked exceptionally hard in what is sometimes a thankless task. there was plenty of different activities to chose from and no pressure if you just wanted to relax on your bed by the pool. The evenings are great for smaller kids up to about 10 years and there are shows every night by Local entertainers, some are not that great to be honest and some were absolutely brilliant, the star act being the Magician on the thurs night.

I am not going to comment on the location or anything like that as it already being covered. My only complaint/disappointment is that the food is not great at all and I found it quite expensive compared to going outside the resort. The only plus is that all the waiting staff are incredibly friendly and helpful and were brilliant with all the children. The quality of the ingredients and the preparation is quite average and below the standard I would expect from an otherwise outstanding resort.

My wife and I lived and worked in Tenerife for 20 years are quite familiar with the resorts/island and we believe that for the money this is one of the best resorts and love going to it. All in all this is a fantastic resort and we strongly recommend it.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
6 Thank Andy S
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 August 2014 via mobile

We enjoyed our stay here, rooms were clean, spacious and beds were comfy enough! First few days was quite cloudy and I found the pools were very cold, my kids were chittering and my 2 year old wouldn't go back into the main pools for the rest of the holiday preferring the kids splash pool which was slightly warmer.
Not much around the hotel, We tried to walk into Los cristianos on the 1st night but with a 5 year old walking and baby in a buggy it took ages and we decided to take a taxi to and from the town every night!
Overall a lovely place to stay if you want to get away from it all! For me this hotel would have bn ideal a bit closer to town but I was aware of the walk when booking so I can't complain :)

Stayed July 2014
2 Thank Pinkjen12
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 August 2014 via mobile

Went here with my partner and two kids ages 4 and 11. Apartment was huge and cleaned every day apart from a Tuesday as this was the cleaners day off. Walk to supermarket was about 20 mins and to get a taxi back was less than €5 we went half board breakfast lots to choose from and supper was menu for the first week then continental bbqs. The waiting staff are great and have a laugh with the kids which is great as it saves them making too much noise in the restraurant. We went on the submarine trip that was good fun we also went to loro park just got in to see the whale show and because we had a young kid we were moved to the VIP seats in the middle of the seating arrangements. Play park is good for young ones. Swimming pool really cold so we just stuck to the baby pool. Shop on site is good a bit pricey but it saves the 20min walk to get little things. We would definitely go back to this hotel but trying a HV this year to see the difference.

Stayed October 2013
Green Garden Resort & Suites
#5 of 59 in Playa de las Americas
4.5 of 5 bubbles 1,610 reviews
Hotel Las Madrigueras Golf Resort & Spa
Hotel Las Madrigueras Golf Resor...
#1 of 59 in Playa de las Americas
HD Parque Cristobal Tenerife
HD Parque Cristobal Tenerife
#6 of 59 in Playa de las Americas
4.5 of 5 bubbles 1,223 reviews

Been to Villa Mandi Golf Resort? Share your experiences!