“Worst Service- Avoid Seaside”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Pondicherry
Seaside Guest House
Ranked #8 of 164 Pondicherry B&B and Inns
Reviewed 25 December 2011

I happened to book this hotel for my brothers who come to Chennai every year to stay in this hotel. This year also I booked for him over phone. When wanted to check in , the useless persons in the reception asked for passport copies of my brothers family. Fortunately, I was in Chennai at my home at that time to scan and send images of passports of all the three members and sent to the mail ID they had given to me (info@seaside.aerosociety.org) . Also I had CCed the mail to my brother. I waited patiently to check if the mail got bounced. But it didn't happen. So called my brother to confirm that he could very well get a hard copy from my mail. The untrained, illiterate, uneducated, uncultured, mannerless guys refused to check mail and get the hard copies and denied to check-in. My frustrated brother, booked Jayaram hotel where a warm welcome was given with good hospitality.

Seaside management should better think to avoid appointing pet animals for their booking counters. Being a professor in US my brother has alerted his colleagues, students, friends and family members NOT to choose this hotel when they stay in Pondy.The bitterest experience for a great professor in Pondy

Room Tip: Never ever choose this hotel. They did not even inform me while booking to bring all personal docume...
  • Stayed: December 2011, travelled with family
9  Thank DrAshokanS

Reviewed 11 November 2011

This beauty is located bang on the Promenade, the most happening place of Pondicherry.

It is one of the Aurobindo Guest houses and has some interesting caveats, so it might not be for everyone, especially the jet-setting party-till-you-drop young crowd. Here are the caveats:

1. You cannot consume liquor or smoke cigarettes inside the hotel.

2. The hotel gates close at 11 PM every night and open at 6 AM every morning. So you need to be back in your room before 11 PM, else you need to find another place to sleep the night.

3. Even thought the breakfast is free, you need to inform the reception in advance that you plan to have it. If you don't, you don't get any breakfast. Ditto for other meals. I think the idea is to reduce wastage of food and cook only as much as is needed.

One "Green" initiative of this place is that if you do not use the air conditioner, you need to tell them, and they will reduce Rs.100 from the daily room charge.

The staff is very efficient and courteous, and very tasty and authentic Indian food is served in the hall, an area demarcated for meals. Fixed menu, so you don't get choice as from a menu in a restaurant.

Prices are abysmally low - Rs.1500 (US$ 30) for an AC double room as on October 2011, and Rs. 90 (less than US$ 2) for a lunch or a dinner.

Cleanliness and hygiene is big for this place. If you do not leave your key for the room to be cleaned when you go out, you might be mildly reminded to do so going forth.

Take a sea-facing room by booking in advance. No website, but you can write to info@seaside.aurosociety.org and you will get a response pronto. Booking is strictly by transferring an advance amount to their bank account, details of which they provide over email.

Cheers. Have fun in Pondy.

Room Tip: Ask for sea-facing room on the top floor. If not available, then any sea-facing room.
  • Stayed: October 2011, travelled as a couple
6  Thank PipBhaai
Reviewed 30 October 2011

I decided on 22nd Oct morning and asked for 2 rooms.. i could get it .. now I could say I was [...] lucky !! My family of 6 including my parents enjoyed the stay.. the rooms were spic and span and the place was easily accessible. The staff were polite & courteous. All the amenities in the room were working fine. It was a good value for money. One area of improvement could be to have a look at the food facilities. However, I have no regrets and enjoyed the experience

TK Sridhar, Bangalore

Room Tip: Get a sea-view room.. enjoy the sun rise !
  • Stayed: October 2011, travelled with family
1  Thank tks1968
Reviewed 10 October 2011

It is good value for money. The basic cleanliness is good. Two things that need urgent improvement:
1. Ventilation at the abnormally small bathroom needs improvement. There is no exhaust, and it is so small that water spills over from the shower area and it never dries during the day. A wet bathroom cannot be a clean one. It needs at least an exhaust and a door mat outside the bathroom. It would have rated 'very good', but this feature alone reduced my rating.
2. It has a set of strange rules - such as even though the breakfast is complimentary, it has to be ordered the night before. We appreciate that they are trying to minimize wastage. But these rules are written in small typing in a Notice somewhere pinned up 9in the rooms. It would be so much more convenient if the guests are verbally informed of them during check-in, in addition to putting up notices.

Room Tip: Mention sea facing
  • Stayed: October 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 29 September 2011

this is the best property in ponducherry.it is located right on beach.the rooms are spotlessly clean. the place has aroma of pace and meditative atmosphere.the breakfast is part of meal.
the breakfast is specified veg/non-veg at the time of booking and is specific.the cost of AC rooms is much less than other properties of such location.smoking and drinking is not allowed but for such people just walk out of the gate ,cross the road - you are on beach to do what you like.rooms do not have TV - you won,t miss it ,as your balcony sea view will take all your time.
the property is assoicated with aruobindo ashram - they have fixed timings for community meditation.must do it once.
superb place to spend time with your family or meditation or evolving yourself.you can sit alone for hours together all by yourself.

Room Tip: opt for AC rooms facing beach on second floor.
  • Stayed: September 2011, travelled on business
1  Thank ramesh0
Reviewed 21 August 2011

I cannot recommend this place highly enough. We paid 1500 rupees for an air-conditioned on the second floor facing the sea. The price includes breakfast. The room was simple and spotlessly clean. The location is to die for. The view from our room was amazing. On our trip, we stayed in hotels paying 10 times more than this hotel but I would rate this simple' clean place as the best. You make direct calls from your room and they charge you only the cost of the call.

The place is owned by the Aurobindo Ashram and therefore is slightly regimented. You have to back in your before 11pm but you wouldn't want to be out in a foreign country after that time any way.

Room Tip: Ask for rooms on the second floor facing the sea.
  • Stayed: August 2011, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Elly M
Reviewed 10 May 2011

My travel agent had booked a hotel which we did not turn out to be good. So, in the evening while taking a stroll on the promenade I and my sister checked out a few places where we could shift. After a few disappointing places we saw, we stumbled upon Seaside Guest House. One look at the neat and clean place and we decided we have to stay here. Luckily they had a room to spare. We didn't get a sea-view room but the location of the guest house (and the food) more than made up for it. Staying here, we were able to enjoy sunrise, sunset , late night stroll on the promenade, frequent walks to the ashram, market place etc etc.

• Stayed: October 2010, travelled with family