“five Australians in our 50's - we loved it”
Review of Hotel Atithi

Hotel Atithi
Ranked #13 of 85 Hotels in Pondicherry
Reviewed 28 March 2012

We stayed in Atithi for two nights, wish we had time to stay longer. The food was excellent, the rooms were big, the beds were comfortable and the airconditioning was unobtrusive. The staff couldn't have been better, nothing was too much trouble. The pool on the roof was a bonus, just the right temperature, clean water and a great view across the city.
The location was ideal, just off the main streets and a short stroll to the beachfront.
We highly recommend Atithi. We'll be back!

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled with friends
1  Thank BillfromAus
Atithi-Pondicherry, General Manager at Hotel Atithi, responded to this reviewResponded 30 March 2012

Dear Mr. Bill,

We appreciate your recent Stay in our Hotel and delighted to hear that you have enjoyed the truly Atithi Hospitality.

We will look forward to welcome you again at Pondicherry and will take every steps to exceed expectation.

E: gm.atithi@aitkenspencehotels.in
M: 91 90030 43214

Reviewed 20 March 2012

On one of our sudden weekend drives to pondy we had no other option but to stay in this hotel.
We were all(my wife and two daughters) pleasantly surprised to find the rooms cosy and comfortable. The toilets were neat and well maintained. Situated in the heart of the city its very easy to walk around. The beach is quite close and requires just a 10min walk. The food was also tasty and simple. Ideal for business stays but in case the resorts dont have space you can stay here!

Room Tip: Rooms on the higher floors are quieter.
  • Stayed: April 2011, travelled with family
Atithi-Pondicherry, General Manager at Hotel Atithi, responded to this reviewResponded 31 March 2012

Dear Mr. Murali,

I thank you for taking your time out and review our Hotel. Your valuable feedback and positive comments are highly appreciated and it will surely motivate me and encourage my Team to excel in “Customer Delight”.

E: gm.atithi@aitkenspencehotels.in
M: 91 90030 43214

Reviewed 13 March 2012

Stayed here as part of a tour had a brief walk out but could not find anyway to eat so were forced to eat at the hotel. Food was fine, in the evening, but when it came to pay the bill this was a different matter the bill was itemised but did not match the prices in the menu, and the taxes (one was classed as service charge) had increased considerably from the 2 stated at 2% and 10%, there were now 3 and alot more.

We asked to see the menu again, in fact we were shown 3 all with the same prices on and the same 2 taxes totalling 12% but none of them matched the bill of course the bill prices were more and there were 3 charges added on at more than double the previous taxes.

We complained in the restaraunt and they took some of the money of after alot of discussion.

We went to reception and said we were not happy a person came out who said he was the restaraunt manager came out with the new menu with the more expensive prices on blamed the goverment for the taxes and declared he had lived in Yorkshire for 5 years - who cares - does this justify him overcharging customers. Another excuse was the restaraunt had just been refurbished and it was the relaunch, so why use the old menus.

I managed to be refunded in the end the amount of the over charge, it took a while.

Nice little earner. And a captive audience.

At the end of the day they are giving customers a menu with one price on and charging you another - other guests on the tour just accepted this. The bigger picture being that there was alot of difference on price, even based on the English pound.

Breakfast next day was nothing exciting it looked like it was from the day before, however some guests took it for their lunch - I question in the Indian heat carrying hard boiled eggs and bread curled by the heat around with you for lunch - please food is not that expensive, and there was opportunities to buy snacks later in the day.

The room was fine, we did expect based on the experience in the restaraunt, for the hotel to try and charge for the mini bar which we never use, but they did not.

We did not use the bar or any other facilties so cannot comment but did hear that they were advertsing alcohol at one price special offer but charging for the branded drinks. We did see a men's bar across the road they may have sold drink to take out

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank crossey
Reviewed 18 February 2012

I was planning for a night's stay in Pondi and was debating which hotel to choose from, I stumbled across a property 2 years old, amazing reviews and decided to stay at Athithi. The reception staff was very friendly and it was one of my quickest check in procedure in any of the hotels I have been across the world. The food was exceptional ...especially the morning breakfast and room service. With just a 5-10 min ride to the beach I Would definetely recommend this place for people who are visiting Pondicherry.

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled with friends
3  Thank HOLIDAYVAC
Atithi-Pondicherry, General Manager at Hotel Atithi, responded to this reviewResponded 26 March 2012

Dear Guest,

Warm Regards

Reviewed 18 February 2012

The hotel is really clean, food is very good, staff is really friendly. Staff understand that the real value of every hotel is satisfied customer.
Perfect pool. We needed a doctor - hotel doctor arrived very quickly. Most helpful was Mr. Karthik - he arranged our further travel and did it in a friendly and professional mannner.
Taxi drivers try to charge high prices - be careful

Room Tip: Rooms on high floors give good view on the city
  • Stayed: February 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank Andrey B

Dear Mr. Andrey,

Reviewed 16 February 2012

It is a good hotel in heart of city, near to Aurbindo Ashram, French Colony ( Walkable). So location wise it is very nicely located.

Rooms were qutie spacious, in fact my wife liked the room very much and she appreciated it to be one of the best we have stayed in. Staff courteous and helpful, we were traveling with our infant kid and restaurant staff helped us out of way in serving porridge for my kid in morning and preparing cutomized dal for our kid. All in all pleasant stay.

• Stayed: December 2011, travelled with family

Dear Mr. Rajesh,

Reviewed 6 February 2012

Had spent a day last weekend with my wife and a coupleof other friends, the overall experience was truly shocking to me from the context of how a hotel of this size could be run (or not run!) in this fashion.

Let me list out the incidents:
- Day 1
- Check in - was assured of 20% discount at the time of my tele booking but denied at check in, after much talking this was given
- Rooms on level 2 - A wedding reception was in progress, the music was so loud we could hear it with the doors closed, and if we were to step out to any of the common areas we needed ear plugs
- Dinner - reached the hotel at 10.10pm asked at the reception if the terrace BBQ restaurant was open, on hearing an affirmative answer we went up, the captain there said the kitchen is closed, on mentioning that the reception sent us he called them and gave an mouthfull in our presence itself! The then 'kindly' agreed to give us some pulav that too only to the room. We agreed as we were dead hungry
- Drinks - we reached the rooms and called the room service at 10.20 and they said the liquor service was closed, I went down to the bar to see a locked door with 10 mins to spare for closing time. One giving a piece of my mind to the reception they 'requested' the bar captain who then consented to take a last order but again only send it to my room which we were ok with.
Day 2
- Breakfast - Just decent/Enough
- Call from the reception (a lady) asking if we wish to extend our stay, we said 'no way' and my wife went on the tell her why, she promptly hung up during the course of the call
- Check out - The room service person was checking the mini bar and asked me if I had the beers, I replied in negative. I said there were no beers to start with. And to my surprise he just said 'ok sir'.. there was no record of any opening stock!!
- Billing - After clearing the bills which by far was the only that was done properly, my wife insisted on a feedback book, on receiving an A4 sheet she demanded to meet the manager.. Now rather than elaborating anymore she just gave up after hearing him!!

Don't ever go here, there are far better places to stay in Pondy if planned in advance.

Room Tip: Avoid at all cost...
  • Stayed: January 2012, travelled with family
4  Thank indrajitkalidasan
Atithi-Pondicherry, Executive: Aitken Spence Hotel Managements Private Limited (Managing Agent of Hotel Atithi) at Hotel Atithi, responded to this reviewResponded 15 March 2012

Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you very much for your feedback with regard to your recent stay with us. We do value your opinion and will definitely take your suggestions into consideration and will relay your feedback to the necessary parties.

The 20% discount was exclusively for bookings made through the hotel website and was not applicable to off-line bookings, however, the discount was granted to you ( deleted the r) after taking your reservation into special consideration. Due to liquor licensing regulations the hotel is not permitted to serve alcohol after 22.30 hrs in public areas which is why the purchasing of alcohol at the bar was not permitted however we made arrangements for your liquor order to be delivered to your room when you made the request at 23.05 hrs.

With regards to the feedback forms, we do apologise for running out of our printed guest questionnaires as such we had to provide you with A4 sheets in order to obtain your feedback.

Thank you once again for taking the time to post your comments.

Best Regards,