“Quiet haven in India”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Pondicherry
Gratitude, a Heritage Home
Ranked #3 of 156 Pondicherry B&B and Inns
Reviewed 27 December 2013

The Gratitude Heritage Home is a homely and beautiful place in the old French town of Pondicherry. The rooms are in colonial style, and there is taken great care of every aesthetic detail. There is a nice courtyard with plants and a large Ganesha statue, where breakfast is also served, and a sheltered roofterrace with a large bed, where one can lie in the wind being both indoor and outdoor at the same time. Staff is nice and very helpful. A peaceful and very nice experience. On the negative side; the beds are very hard and the internet grumpy.

Room Tip: Room nr 6 is more expensive but has a bath tub.
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
gratitudeheritage, Owner at Gratitude, a Heritage Home, responded to this reviewResponded 28 December 2013

Hi. Thank you for taking time to write a review. We really appreciate all the kind words and the feedback.
Regarding the wifi, there was a problem from the service provider end last few days and hence the connection was erratic for some people while others could connect easily. As a result I had opened my own study and allowed guests to use my personal wifi. I believe the problem has now been resolved. The mattresses we have are a combination of U-foam and coir...hence they are not meant to be too soft or too hard. As all our beds are of different shapes and sizes, being vintage, we had to get the mattresses made to size. Its an item which cannot be catered to suit individual tastes. We will be happy to chamge them if we get more feedback from others.

There are newer reviews for Gratitude, a Heritage Home

Reviewed 18 December 2013

I don’t know where to start – my stay at Gratitude it is one of the most important stays abroad I´ve every had (and I´ve lived on five continents… for MUCH longer that the 6 weeks i spent in pondi) but somehow my stay in Pondicherry made a huge impact. In a very low key way i guess – it gave me a glimpse of a pace of life and mood about things that did me very good. And thats definitely not just Pondi – but more specifically Gratitude.

I spent 6 weeks at Gratitude, as a writer-in-residence, and cannot fully express in words how wonderful my stay was. Staying at Gratitude is one of the best decisions you´ll ever make. I kid you not.

I felt welcome from day one. I miss everyone of the staff! Vijay and Anton really made my stay so wonderful – it felt like we were all a big family. It was just so great that they were not your typical hotel-traiend staff. Whenever I spent the days away, writing at the library or just going out for adventures, it felt like coming home every evening when I returned to Gratitude :) if a message was delivered a tad late, or something not done exactly as at an hotel - it did not matter at all - and for me it was anton and vijay who really carried the spirit of gratitude – for six weeks – after organizing all my stuff, hanging out, surviving a pest control, a bunch of other wonderful guest, vegan food eccentricities and a number of things i don’t even remember anton and vijay still was smiling to me – friendly and genuine as ever!

I miss the food too. Both discovering the world of vegan food, and especially when the cook, Shanti dished up some of her own local home cooking – great stuff! (And on days where I had too much to do, or needed a bit extra encouragement I would get my favorite for lunch - croissants with cheese)

And not to mention all the people i got to associate with Gratitude. Wonderful friends of the house kept dropping by. Like Maya – she randomly dropped by on my first day at Gratitude, and again randomly on my last day – she left an impression on me. When I think of gratitude, i think of the wonderful owner Kakoli and her - they both made me feel so incredibly welcome, and carried the message of what Gratitude is about in an incredible way.

Ok – I am rambling now… I guess this is all just a very detailed way of saying THANK YOU KAKOLI so much for giving me the opportunity to stay at Gratitude. I had one of the best times I have ever had!!!

And I am coming back! I hope Gratitude will become a home away from home for me. In a sense it already is - but it is a place I would like to return to, again and again. Both for the stunningly beautiful building, and the unique, serene and including atmosphere. But most of all for its people!

Room Tip: I almost do not want to leave any tips, as the rooms are so wonderful I want them to myself... but O...
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled solo
gratitudeheritage, Owner at Gratitude, a Heritage Home, responded to this reviewResponded 20 December 2013

Thanks dear Silje...finally!
We hope to see you back soon. Anto and Vijay will be delighted with your praise I am sure. They deserve it as does Shanti. Her cooking gets better by the day!

Reviewed 18 November 2013

I spent a wonderful five days at Gratitude. It's a beautifully restored heritage property with mango-coloured walls, wooden furniture and charmingly rustic touches such as earthen water jugs in the room. The staff is warm and helpful, the South Indian breakfasts delicious and the outlook eco-friendly. I'll be visiting again.

Room Tip: I stayed in the room closest to the reception and facing the courtyard so mornings and afternoons te...
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled solo
Reviewed 28 October 2013

Gratitude is steeped in the great care and pride the owner and staff have for this historic building. The building's heritage is an aesthetic delight and each staff member makes the place all the more lovely. The courtyard is inviting and peaceful, the rooms are impeccably decorated and breakfast is truly amazing with spreads including fresh croissants, fresh fruits, omelettes and Indian dishes like idli and upma!

Deepa and Anto were an absolute delight and Vijay was very efficient in arranging things for us! I chose this hotel because the Indian National Trust for Art and Cultural Heritage (INTACH) aided in the building's restoration. I am an INTACH member who has worked with the organization in the past and I appreciate their work. Kakoli, the owner at Gratitude, helped to put us in touch with INTACH Pondicherry and we were able to enjoy wonderful strolls through Pondicherry's French and Tamil quarters while learning about their history and modern threats to the town's heritage areas.

Lovely, quiet location on the fringes of the French Quarter, gorgeous property, amazing staff with whom we fell in love.....We will be back to Gratitude Heritage very soon!

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 27 October 2013

I went to Gratitude with my best friend. We were there for two nights and 3 days and they were the best. It was so relaxing and the staff is so sweet and helpful! Especially Anto and Deepa. We loved the culture that is part of Gratitude Heritage. We will definitely be going back there and I will also take my family there!

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 23 October 2013

We chose to be in Pondicherry for my husband's birthday. After a lot of research and review reading(i am very finicky about places i stay in) we chose Gratitude Heritage. This is what i felt.

Upon entering the larger than life wooden doors, one is immediately transported to the beginning of a different era. As you enter the door you will meet either of the soft spoken, bubbly girls Anto or Deepa. There is nothing like a check in. You enter the seating area which is tastefully done with a huge photo of Mother and surrounded by timeless furniture and art deco pieces. They welcome you to have a cup of masala chai or green tea. Once you've done that, they take you to your room(each room is different, pictures available on their website). We chose Room number 6. The room had a beautiful antique poster bed and draped in blue and white rajasthani muslin cloth. The unique feature of this room was a flight of stairs to the washroom. The bathroom contained also a writing desk(you can imagine the size of the room!). beautifully done up in mango yellow with small windows. The entire house opens up into a verandah, which has swing, chairs to sit. The dinning area is large again with antique furniture. Its just not the soul of the house that captures you but also of the people who own and run this place. Kakoli and team create an atmosphere of peace, openness and trust. I have stayed in 5 star properties across the globe. I choose to lock my stuff and be safe. But, at Gratitude it did not matter where my wallet was or where i left my ipad. The didis there came cleaned while we lazed in and around the room. The breakfast is humble and home cooked. It is a place that I am sure of going back again.

Room Tip: If you love poster beds and huge bathrooms then it choose room 6.
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank KaveaGuptaa
Reviewed 20 October 2013

A wonderful serene and calm green space in a urban setting, situated in the heart of the city, it's in the lovely part of Franco Tamil part of Pondicherry, the location is brilliant with the beach very close by and lots of restaurants and shops to choose from nearby
Gratitude welcomes you literally with a feeling of entering your home space. The building itself is revived beautifully from an old bungalow but has retained all of its old world charm. The small greenery inside definitely adds to the ambience and the rooms are cosy. Great place for artistes , writers , and anyone on a creative pursuit, if your looking for anything remotely commercial than this is not your choice of spot! I would go there again for sure .....

Room Tip: The top floor room with a large window facing the courtyard
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled with family