L'Escale
Villa Shanti(Pondicherry)
US$130
US$114
  • Breakfast included
Hotel Coramandal Heritage(Pondicherry)(Great Value!)
US$24
TripAdvisor
All reviewsguest housel escalefrench quarterfrench breakfastbest breakfast in towninternet cafenice roof terracenice eating jointsrooms and common areasvalue for moneygiving tipstop floorhelpful ownerwalking distancebalcony overlooking the streethomemade jamsthird floor
Reviewed 10 May 2014

With a day or two left for the weekend, we wanted to do a drive and Pondi was ideal. Gotta a place to stay and tripadvisor tells me L'escale is a good option. Good reviews and I book it in less than 20 mins.

The place was just what is typed out by the fellow travellers in their reviews. No surprises whatsoever. It's a nice, cosy small building with 3 floors. We stayed in the 1st floor with a tiny balcony that had two cane chairs and a glass table, just perfect to sit down and look at the peaceful street with no honks (I hated some people honking with absolutely no logic in this area that has a clear "no horn" boards all across and its not even necessary, maybe they were honking at the sparrows in the trees). Anyway, I didn't sit in the balcony as it was quiet hot but would have loved to spend some time here if not for the weather. Perhaps a book, a drink or whatever you need to spend some time peacefully.

Coming to the stay, the room was quaint, simple but nice cot.. They just join two single beds if you opt for a double bed which I wouldn't really complain as they are even and don't cause any discomfort. The washroom has a little step and takes you in but voila, there's no door sans a curtain.

Overall. the stay was really comfortable and peaceful. It's a stroll away from the promenade. The service was excellent which is always a delight. Parking is on the street side and is at your own risk, and by risk I particularly mean the birds inking your vehicle, my car had quiet a lot of tattoos made by these the next morning.

I felt the breakfast was overpriced, really wanted to try it mainly because the terrace where it is served has a great view of the beach but then opted out. We had ours at the Indian Kaffe in the same street, it was great so we patted ourselves on that (Their pancakes finally reminded me of IHOPS, was great) .

Room Tip: Not sure if all the rooms have a balcony but do check, worthy to have one during your stay. Also, check if the washroom window is closed / has something to cover apart from the mosquito net. We had to use curtains to cover up, ofcourse we didn't want to fuss about this and took care of this ourselves.
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank d_world12
Reviewed 27 April 2014

L'escale is neither a boutique nor a hotel, but a guest house. Though, its located in the heritage area of Pondicherry (Ville Blanche) and the decor will certainly give you a feel of one. It has well appointed, well furnished rooms with antique design furniture and classic decor. The staff is courteous and efficient and serves generous helpings of hygienically cooked breakfast at their terrace lounge in the morning.

Keeping in mind that its a guest house, it doesnt have a room service or a restaurant/cafe/bar in premises, except for their morning breakfast service, which served at the terrace only.

The USP, as mentioned earlier is the guest house offers economical (by economical I mean mid-priced) accommodation being in the heritage area, and is value for money. They can also arrange pick up and drops from Chennai/Pondicherry hotels for a charge and has a laundry service too.

To summarise, a great place to stay and value for money.

Room Tip: book in advance online and ask if they can include breakfast in the price.
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled solo
1  Thank Mukulfaiz
Reviewed 27 April 2014

Only for the second time ever in over 20 years of travel, I changed accommodation in the same location. It wasn’t that my first hotel on the other side of Dumas Street was bad. It was because the L’escale Guest House was so much better. It was clean, the room was much more spacious, the provided towel was not ‘marginal’, there were other guests whereas in the hotel from which I departed I was the only guest, and the L’escale Guest House was less expensive. It was no contest. I had found the L’escale Guest House for breakfast about 30 metres from where I had been staying. It is owned and operated by an Englishman who was cheerily communicative and helpful. The continental breakfast consists of unlimited muesli, a bowl of fresh mixed fruit, a croissant, a glass of fruit juice, three pieces of toast with butter, jam and marmalade, and a pot of tea or coffee sufficient for three large cups. Needless to say, L’escale didn’t need to offer a cooked breakfast option. There was no need to eat anything else during the day until dinner. After three nights I decided it was worth the shift across Dumas street for my final night in Pondicherry on 15th September 2013. I recommend the L’escale Guest House and do so highly.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled solo
2  Thank JohnnyPolo1
Reviewed 21 April 2014 via mobile

We reached pondicherry in the evening without any room booking and were looking to stay near the main beach. we checked 5 hotels but couldn't find anything great so settled for an okay place to stay. While looking for a parking for our car we spotted this place and decided to check it out. The room was very clean and didn't stink like other hotels. On top of that we got a good deal as we opted for room number 1. Very nice stay and highly recommended for all.

• Stayed: April 2014
Reviewed 19 April 2014

What a beautiful place to stay! The rooms are lovely and tastefully decorated, bathrooms are clean with soap, everything you need. Breakfast was 250rs each but absolutely worth it; fruit salad freshly prepared for you when you sit down (watermelon, pineapple pomegranate etc- yum!) as well as croissants, toast, coffee, tea and cereals...the breakfast area overlooks the sea and is cool and breezy, with additional places to sit and relax on the next floor up.

Nicholas is a great host, on arrival he gave us a map of the different areas and a very useful list of restaurants and things to do, and gave a ticking off to a tuk tuk driver who ripped us off. L'escale is very close to the seaside promenade and you can get a tuk tuk/scooter to Auroville, should you wish to visit it.

We'd highly recommend staying here to anyone, it really is lovely.

Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple