“A Wonderful Stay at Le Pondy”
Review of Le Pondy

Le Pondy
Ranked #9 of 85 Hotels in Pondicherry
Reviewed 26 March 2012

Le Pondy, is a fantastic property. It has a lake on one side and the beach on the other. Very picturesque. More than anything else, the staff , led by their General Manger Mr Ramesh Kumar is the highlight of the trip!!.
The warmth and service of this resort is overwhelming. I wish the second opening of Le Pondy, (after cyclone Thane hit it) a great success.
Regards
Srikant.R.Das

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Rads_Sri
Write a ReviewReviews (1,127)

Reviewed 26 March 2012

Its an excellent property with calm and clean beach. We were upgraded to presidential pool villa which is excellent. Both food and service is very good. Staff is alway ready to help you. It was badly damaged by a recent cyclone and were out of business for 2 months. Everything is back to normal now.

Room Tip: If you have a choice, choose rooms as close to beach as possible
  • Stayed: March 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank mithink
Reviewed 26 March 2012

We were a group of about 15 people from work for a weekend break. The resort is located a little off pondy on the pondy cuddalore road - was not very difficult to find it, access road is a little narrow; no parking lots, you just have toi park your car on the road outside the resort - however, its a dead end road, so there's sufficient space and decent security.

The resort is lovely - has been done up after cyclone thane battered it.. while restoration is still on-going, i must say a very nicely done up place. Th rooms are great, comfortable and clean. A couple of us had been upgraded to pool villas, which were brilliant with their own private pools and a poolside bar and a place to sit around..we had a blast every evening..! and this is specially cool if you're travelling as a group. The resort is nicely spread out.. a nice pool with a lot of lawn space to play, etc.
The food is very average but the rest of the place made up for it. Service was good too with friendly people around
Overall a brialliant experience and good value for money -will definitely go back.

Room Tip: ground floor rooms have no view!! whether lake or sea view!.. ask for the first floor rooms preferab...
  • Stayed: March 2012, travelled with friends
1  Thank Betttsss
Reviewed 23 March 2012

Stayed in October 2011. The resort is well laid out. Beautfiul buildings and rooms. Stayed in a regular room which is spacious and well maintained. Our ffriends stayed in a pool villa. You need to be aware that the pools villas have open bathrooms and some of them are not quite private.
The pools is great and the service passable. A downside is the food which is quite ordinary which is unfortunate because when you want to chill out at a beach resort one does not need to have to go out for meals.
The beach is reasonably clean although this coast itself is not as good as the western coast of India.
It is a 15 minutes drive to Pondicherry from the resort.

Room Tip: If you are taking a pool villa, take the villas which are towards the compund wall.
  • Stayed: October 2011, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Sundeep-travelbug
Reviewed 1 March 2012

le pondy is a excellent property with outstanding service the beach is very clean buffet meals are also great although scope of improvement is there it is sad to know it was devastated by storm thane hope they get going soon our best wishes.

Room Tip: 1st floor sea facing rooms have a good view
  • Stayed: October 2011, travelled with family
2  Thank moumitam173
Reviewed 2 January 2012

This is the best i could do , write a review for Le Pondy for now it stands battered and destroyed due to the cyclone "Thane" and hope them a early recovery. We had spent an amazing company trip at this property . The staff is very cordial . The property was fabulous .Just before our stay(Dec 16,17) there was news of another cyclone near Orissa-Andhra border and my dad had already warned me about it , but it had passed by without touching Pondicherry .But there were strong but tolerable winds when we were there.

Coming back to the hotel , they have a great bar , a great restaurant . Since we were a big group of around 60 people of various age groups many arrived late for their meals but they were served with a hot meal even though they came late.

The staff took good care of everyone among the guests.

Its away from the city , so you might be having your own ride.

• Stayed: December 2011, travelled with friends
4  Thank Buzzvishwanath
Reviewed 30 December 2011

I stayed four nights near Pondicherry at Le Pondy, at a beautiful seaside resort. The place was so beautiful and relaxing that I decided to just chill there on my last day. I walked out to the beach after lunch, but access was closed and an attendant explained that a cyclone was coming. Cyclone?!? That’s like a hurricane, right? A cyclone/hurricane is coming?!? I checked online and saw that the path of cyclone Thane was headed straight for my behind. This was late in the afternoon and at this point it was too late in the day to move inland. I asked the manager of the hotel if I should be shi**ing my pants and he told me to relax - Pondicherry never gets big storms he said. He was even going into town that evening for dinner. It started raining and the wind picked up in the late afternoon. Later I went to bed in my room on the first floor above ground level that was facing the Bay of Bengal and hoped for the best. Around 5 am I was woken up by the sound of the wooden blinds on my terrace being whipped around by the intense wind. At this point the winds were strong, but not frightening. However, their strength increased and they soon destroyed one and then another and then another of the blinds. The wind was so strong I felt like I was listening to a sound effects recording of a storm. It seemed like the wind was blowing directly from the ocean to the glass wall and glass door that were the front of my hotel room. I was worried that the air pressure would break the glass, so I unlocked the door and let the wind sort of blow through my hotel room. Physics degree comes in handy again! Of course, also blowing into my room were the thatch from the roofs and the splinters from the blinds and other whatnot that had been dislodged by the storm. I then moved one room back to the bathroom because it was more protected – if the glass shattered in my bedroom at least I would be one room away. I had no clue what was up with the rest of the hotel because I didn’t have a view of the other buildings. There was a lot of debris outside my room and the lawn was turning into a lake. At this point the wind was so ferocious that I couldn’t imagine anyone walking around in it, so the thought of making a run for it didn’t occur to me. Also, where would I have run to? Around 6:30 am three hotel employees came up to my room to collect/rescue me. I was really shocked. I couldn’t believe that they were able to move around in the storm. I went with them on a mad dash and eventually ended up in the reception area of the hotel. It was then that I realized that the hotel was completely trashed. Significant portions of the roofs of all of the buildings were gone. I spoke to several people whose glass doors had shattered. I heard that the living quarters for the staff had been almost destroyed. The reception area was in a breezeway I guess you’d call it. Anyway, it was trashed. Furniture had been blown about, blinds had been destroyed and the drop ceiling was only partially there. While the hotel obviously had made no preparations for this calamity, they sure did deal well with it once the storm hit. The guys who came for me in my room really demonstrated some bravery. In the morning there was no electricity or running water, but somehow the staff managed a hot breakfast and lunch for the guests. The road to the hotel from the main road was impassible in the morning and all went to work to remove the trees and other debris. The manager of the hotel, Ramesh, was a total mensch throughout the ordeal and I give him credit for dealing well with the crisis, which included handling complaints from of the less patint guests. As far as I was aware, nobody at the hotel was injured from the storm. Unfortunately, other people in the area of where the storm hit were not so lucky. The road to the hotel was cleared at about 3 pm and I was able to leave the hotel, the cyclone night being the last night of my stay and my room also being uninhabitable. When I went to retrieve my luggage there was about an inch of water on the floor which had been blown into the room.

That’s all fine and dandy Mrs. Lincoln, but how was the play? , i.e., what other things about the hotel, which pale in comparison to the fact that a cyclone struck while you were staying there, were notable: The le Pondy complex of buildings is on the coast with views of the Bay of Bengal. The food was consistently very good. As a westerner, I don’t normally think of Indian food as breakfast food, but it works at Le Pondy. They also served a few western/British dishes for breakfast. My room, before it was trashed by the cyclone, was very nice, spacious, clean, with a big nice bed and a, somewhat unfortunately now in retrospect, view of the Bay of Bengal. Keep in mind that the hotel is a few kilometers outside of Pondicherry so if you want to see Pondicherry you should probably have a car and driver. I never used the pool, but it appeared very pleasant.

One last comment: It will take a bit of time for Le Pondy to recover from the damage from the storm, but when they do, I would definitely recommend staying at the hotel. Just keep an eye on the weather forecast!

• Stayed: December 2011, travelled solo