My wife and I and our two kids (aged 6 and 2) stayed here for 3 nights and 4 days during the hot month of May!!! (Well we could not find other options and decided to zero in on Pondicherry - and going by most reviews online, Le Pondy stood # 1).
In listing the negatives below, we are comparing it to the other 5-star properties in South India.
Let me list the positives and negatives that we observed:
1) Property has a great ambience overall - while you drive in, there is a feeling "wow" which is extremely critical - considering it is located 12 km further from Pondicherry City and you would be exhausted reaching the hotel (especially with wailing kids!!!).
2) We took the basic "Lakeview" rooms and they were pretty functional with clean bathrooms, TV, AC and an empty mini fridge. Pretty good overall.
3) The swimming pool is well maintained - my kids loved it.
4) It is tough to please everyone with the food - but the spread was pretty good (though the breadsticks were perpetually soggy!!!). The deserts were minimal and restricted to cakes and souffles though. Rest of the food was tasty and the chef was polite and offered to customize our Indian breads based on our choice). Much appreciated!!!
1) Overall maintenance of the resort is below average in my opinion. The staircases were dusty and dirty in more than one place - even the room flooring was not clean till the staff did another round of cleaning the next day. Disappointing.
2) The staff could do with more training - on our 2nd day of stay there while we were coming back into the resort, one of the staff (whom we recognized) welcomed us once more and asked us if we are checking in now :) (forgetting that we had met her multiple times the previous day!!!). Also, it took me 3-4 reminders to get them to deliver something to my room!!!
3) They give you one bottle of water complementary - seriously 1 bottle for a family of 4?? And you need to buy water if you need more!!! Not fair. Either provide easy access to regular clean filter water or atleast provide 2-3 bottles of water a day complementary - it would cost you 50 rupees at the most!!!! (On the other hand, if we buy from the hotel they would overcharge you for it anyway!!!)
4) Beverages are over priced!!! A bottle of half-litre Pepsi (MRP Rs 30/- outside) is sold for Rs 150/-!!!! Please get your own beverages if you think you are going to need them!!!!!
Overall - if they improve on the maintenance and the responsiveness of the staff, it has good potential to be one of the best resorts around.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Le Pondy, situated at Pondicherry is a premium leisure resort beautifully lounged at an estuary between Chunnambar River and the Bay of Bengal. Le Pondy celebrates Pondicherry in all its true sense - the spirit, the architecture and the revelry. Pondicherry is one of the most popular tourist destinations in South India. It is also known as The French Riviera of the East. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Agoda so you can book your Le Pondy reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Le Pondy Hotel Pondicherry