“What a waste !”

Cuisines: European, Indian, Fusion
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Reviewed 6 April 2014

We went with a lot of expectations as it was our last day in Pondy but as fate had decided it was the worst meal we had in our entire trip. The signs were ominous as we were the only people around till around 8:30 pm and how true it was. The soup was a disaster.. and main course took years to come. Even when the main course arrived the sides with the chicken and steak were burnt. The waiters seemed to be lost and unawares.
My suggestion to the management is to kindly give more focus to the food as the property seems to be relatively well done up.
Though on a positive side there was a earnest call from the GM of the hotel when we arrived back and has assured me that she will be personally looking into the matter.

Reviewed 19 March 2014 via mobile

nice place to stay this hotel.restaurant was smal but good food.price not alot.

Reviewed 24 February 2014

We went in this Restaurant for dinner as; many local people suggested having dinner here or at Shanti villa Restaurant. Ambiance of Restaurant is really awesome. Food was very tasty. We tried Couscous with curried summer vegetable (average veg dish but curry was tarty), Ravioli con fungi (nice veg dish) and Sautéed snapper fish fillet (amazing taste but I customized to make bit spicy). Also we tried other small dishes like soup n appetizers.
Service was also good and they made our dinner as perfect. Do visit their wash room for unique wash basin. Overall good for dinner.

Reviewed 13 February 2014

I came across the restaurant by accident and it was a wonderful surprise - I had the 4-course menu - a bargain at 450Rs! The food was fresh and beautifully presented, and the dal makhani was the best I've ever had. Service was attentive and cheerful - they were concerned that I wasn't able to finish the main dish (enormous on it's own), and came around with words of encouragement ;) The building has been skilfully renovated, keeping the colonial charm and adding original twists (viz. the restrooms!). Highly recommended!

Reviewed 31 January 2014

My daughter and I went to the Hotel Dupleix restaurant as part of our venture to eat at a different place for every meal while in Pondicherry. We visited the hotel in the morning, and our booking for dinner was accepted by a charming receptionist. When we arrived in the evening, the staff seemed too busy to seat us, and were not aware that a reservation had been made. No matter, we were finally given a table in a charming outdoor area. The service was very very slow: order taken after some time, and ages and ages of waiting before my soup (billed as French Onion, but extremely ordinary) arrived. The waiter did not check, nor saw, that my daughter had no plate, napkin or cutlery and had to be reminded of this. Eventually, after two reminders and finally a threat to leave if the mains food did not arrive (this after a one hour wait) the food did arrive. I have to say that my fish was excellent, and some good humour was restored by the quality. However, we felt that there was no point ordering dessert as it had gotten just too late.

A shame, because the main course was very nice, but any dining experience also relies on service which may not always be prompt but must always be pleasant. We were made to feel that the staff simply didn't care: they told us that the kitchen was backed up; but we saw a group at the next table being served a lot faster -- also, if it's going to take time, a polite apology and some info about delay should have been forthcoming rather than us searching for staff to ask about the meal.

I don't know if I will ever go back, indifferent wait staff really put me off.