“Good hotel with delicious foods :-)”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Villa Shanti

and 1 more site!
Villa Shanti
Ranked #3 of 74 Hotels in Pondicherry
Francescas, France
“Good hotel with delicious foods :-)”
Reviewed 4 June 2014

the hotel is very elegantly decorated, wonderful atmosphere with delicious food and also the staff were really helpful to us :-) We had a great evening with our friends thereover.. The hotle is located at heart of city so it is very easy for us to spend our precious time over there. And the staffs were very helpful especially the front office people.. Excellent bar with gud staffs.. Had a great foods in the open courtyard and especially the chef who handled and helpful to us to chose our foods the foods are really excellent.. The one with prawn was too tasty and wonderful.. I would like to recommend this hotel to my friends also:-) even i too like to visit again for that woundeful foods.. Because of the food i am giving 5 * :-):-):-):-)

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Cathrinemary

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (85)
Le Tampon, Reunion Island
Reviewed 4 June 2014

Villa Shanti is the best place to be in Pondicherry ! Best mojitos ever and delightful food (especially prawn wrap fish). The staff is very polite, curtious and always smiling. I'm staying here for one month and like almost everyday to go Villa Shanti. Plus, you can relax, read a book, have dinner or a drink in the beautiful patio. Handsome place ! I appreciate the Chef Mr. Saravanan and also the rooms are awesome same like heritage style. For sure I'll come back !!

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 1 June 2014

I booked this hotel for a colleague and me when we were on a business trip to Chennai. The staff were super helpful about our reservation (I couldn't quite work out how to pay a deposit so they kept my reservation without one) and organised a car to pick us up from Chennai.

The hotel is really beautiful - lovely open terrace, high ceilings, plenty of old world charm but with spacious and minimalist decor.

We had booked the garden suite to share. The room is beautiful - big and spacious and they provided a second bed. However the room is on the top floor - it was pushing 37C and very humid and even without my bags the walk to the top floor nearly killed me. We also struggled to get the air conditioning working initially (by the end of the two days it was arctic in the room so we clearly worked it out!)

The garden terrace was pretty and I sat out there one afternoon when it finally got a little cooler and before the mosquitos arrived but in cooler weather I would have spent more time there.

The breakfast was great and the service was good, not too intrusive as it can be at some hotels in the area.

I would recommend the hotel but be advised communal areas have no air conditioning and there is no lift so I suggest not going in the heat of the summer if you're inclined to melt as I am.

I would say the hotel is probably on the expensive side for Pondy but it is very pretty and a good location.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with friends
Heaven
Reviewed 28 May 2014

The title says it all, Villa Shanti is a historic hotel, recently modernised, very elegantly decorated, great food in the open courtyard, huge rooms, excellent bar, and helpful staff. I would definitely stay there again

Room Tip: The one above the reception looked fabulous, but all are nice
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank TiddyWinkDigger
Pasig City
Reviewed 23 May 2014 via mobile

We had dinner at the restaurant, and the interiors were elegant and well-appointed, reminiscent of the French-inspired architecture of Pondy's past. The food was good too. I would recommend that anyone visiting Pondy should visit this place, if only to really get a feel of the territory's past and foreign influence.

Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
Phuket, Thailand
Reviewed 14 May 2014 via mobile

Good : the staff is good very attentive you are taken care of

Bad : the location isn't great,the state bank of India is right opposite and many bikes scooters and cars or cabs r really fighting to park there...am convinced that "white town"..have seen better days

Ugly : go figure the rest :-)

Stayed May 2014, travelled solo
New Delhi, India
Reviewed 11 May 2014

I loved every design and feature of Villa Shanti when I walked in - it is done up very tastefully and keeps the mood of Pondicherry. The hotel is not too big, just perfect and aesthetically pleasing. The rooms were all of different styles - fresh stylish look with an Indian touch as well. I had a room on the ground floor just next to the atrium and the doors help in shutting out any noise coming in from the restaurant. The room had a great airy feel with high ceilings. The bathrooms do not have a door and this needs some unlearning to do. What was missing I felt is a full length mirror and fire exit signs. The service was very warm and forthcoming - especially by staff at the restaurant. The food was superlative. We tried another hotel restaurant that failed miserably and landed up eating most of our meals in this superb restaurant. The vegetarian food was stellar - the sorbets were to die for and truly French. The hotel is two blocks away from the Pondicherry Beach and nestled in the very clean and lovely French quarter. Aurobindo ashram was walking distance and so was the beach. The hotel - Must go. Must try. Must visit. Highly recommended.

Room Tip: Ground floor rooms may be noisy due to restaurant in adjoining atrium but I had no problem.
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled with friends