New Guest House
La Villa(Pondicherry)
US$185
US$171
  • Breakfast included
All reviewsmoney orderac roomclothes linehot wateraurobindo ashrammain doordining hallchennai airportper daypromenade beachfrench quarterrstowelsbalconyconstimingindia
Reviewed 23 January 2014

I stayed ten days in New Guest House in December 2013. It's clean, well-maintained, and especially well-located. The streets nearby are full of interesting restaurants and gift shops. The Seaside Promenade is about two minutes away. Thus, the location is away from the hustle-bustle and yet accessible to what you'll be seeing.
The rooms are sparse but adequate. Bedding is provided but not towels. Bathrooms don't have hot water, but plenty of steaming hot water is easily had from a tap in every hallway, and a bucket is provided in each room. If you're looking for an eco-friendly place, this is it.
The central courtyard is really beautiful with flowering plants of all sorts, a fish pond, and statuary. I saw some guests moved to photograph it!
The problems with New Guest House is that friendly service and hospitality are nonexistent. I was never, repeat, never greeted with a friendly word. Every request to the reception seemed to be a burden to them. Paying for food in the dining room without correct change was met with sighs of exasperation. Do not expect the normal hotel service ethic. It's not at New Guest House. The staff are ensconced in the Aurobindo Ashram, and I can only guess that they feel this affords them a superiority. (Every room has prominent photos of Sri Aurobindo and "The Mother"--there's no escaping the two saints of India's wealthiest ashram.) The guest house staff were aloof and not at all ready to help.
On the day of my departure I asked for some help bringing my heavy suitcase out to the street, only to be told "Guests do for themselves here." So, I did for myself, bumping the suitcase on its rollers step-by-step down to the entrance. All the while, two able-bodied staff men looked on, never once offering to help me.

Room Tip: Ask for a room that's away from the kitchen. Otherwise there are continual cooking smells and the banging of pots and pans to put up with.
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled solo
3  Thank Nanckauf
Reviewed 6 October 2013 via mobile

I was happy enough at the guesthouse - it's fantastically priced, great location, secure & clean. I stayed for four nights this time, and I've stayed in the past.

However, because of the 10:30pm curfew I stayed over with friends on one of the nights. Management called me the next morning to say that I had to inform them if I wasn't coming back. I explained that our dinner ran over so I was hardly going to call at 11:30pm. I was told that I have to inform reception by 8:30pm as to my whereabouts. Because I didn't do this I was no longer allowed to stay and was instructed to check out by 12pm.

I've never experienced anything like this. I felt like a child rather than a paying guest. And after all of this, I asked if I could keep my bags downstairs while I made other arrangements and they reluctantly said only for 2 hours.

So unnecessary and disappointing. How can a guesthouse not allow its guests to stay elsewhere if the guest has already paid for the room? It's baffling.

Stayed: October 2013, travelled with friends
5  Thank Global_Bumble
Reviewed 3 October 2013

I wanted to visit Pondicherry ashram from long time so when i had trip to chennai i immediately booked my weekend for Pondicherry. Since I was traveling alone I was scared and did a lots of review on net finally i settled for some asharam guest house. It was weekend so The PArk guesthouse was booked, I was guided to New Guest house which is recent entry to Ashram Guest List. Initially staff was skeptical abt me visiting alone, but later they were very friendly and very helpful and cooperative.I took single non Ac room, it was Spotless clean nice and spacious room.they have small beautiful small garden inside. Food was Avg but hygienic. Over all Awesome experience. they provide cycle on rent. Guest house is just 2 mins from beach . beach can not be view form hotel room but in case u have rooms on left side you would be able to see the light house. I took lots of memorable moments from this trip back home

Room Tip: USe there Cycle rentals its 50 rs per day. Their check-i check out time is 10 AM so plan ur arrival accordingly.
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled solo
9  Thank mailtonehagarg1
Reviewed 15 July 2013

Be prepared for spartan settings. There are no lifts, no room service, no hot water in the rooms.
Besides, that, it is a neat little place to put up and save costs, if you plan to be out exploring Pondicherry for most of your vacation. The rooms are decent, though there are no cupboards, only wall shelves. They have quaint names, and some have balconies. There is a lot of greenery in the courtyard.
The rules are strict - it shuts early, no outside food/ drinks are permitted, meal times are to be strictly followed.
The staff are polite and helpful, within the limited rules. Very close to the promenade next to the beach. So well located and inexpensive. Almost worth the money.

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank tanmayamar
Reviewed 8 April 2013

The guest house is very comfortable and well maintained. It is very neat and clean and rooms are very decent for the price charged. Food at the guest house is tasty and very reasonable. The location of the guest house is also good with the sea front very close by.

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled with family