“Colonial Architecture”
Review of Le Dupleix

Le Dupleix
Ranked #10 of 82 Hotels in Pondicherry
Reviewed 5 June 2014

The best part of the hotel is it's architecture. You feel lost looking at the beautiful designs which amuses you whether you are in France for a second. The hospitality is exceptional and it is very close to sea. A perfect place to rejoice. I strongly recommend this hotel.
Cheers!!

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank Sadala A
Danielle S, Manager at Le Dupleix, responded to this reviewResponded 7 June 2014

Dear Guest,

Thank you for choosing to stay with us recently, it was a pleasure having you as our guests and thank you for taking out the time to review us on Tripadvisor.

I am happy that the entire team of Le Dupleix has been able to exceed your expectations and appreciate your admiration of the beautifully restored building.

Should you revisit Pondicherry in the future, I hope you will be staying with us again. I would be looking forward to welcoming you to Le Dupleix again.

There are newer reviews for Le Dupleix

Reviewed 20 May 2014

The hotel is about 20 minutes drive from the Airport. With Pondicherry no longer having a scheduled service, it took a little time for the cab to get to the airport.
My wife and I had flown in our own aircraft, and the authorities had generously kept the airport open for a couple of hours beyond the normal time; a delay caused by our flight clearance after refuelling at Tirupati due to elections.

The hotel is well located in the heritage town area, close to the Promenade, Aurobindo ashram, museum as well as other places of interest. It is a quaint three storey hotel, with the suites located on the top floor. It was easy to find (with a little help from Google maps).
The local lore is that the rafters and wooden columns from the top floor was a part of the regal home of Joseph Dupleix, the Governor General of Pondicherry. Upon its destruction, the salvaged structures are now a part of the hotel.

We stayed on the first floor. Being a heritage hotel, it did not have an elevator, nor did we expect it or feel the need. I mention this because a disabled person would find it very difficult to get around due to the lack of ramps, etc.

Overall the hotel is quite well maintained.

The rooms are large enough, and the four poster bed a delight. The old style writing table looks good, and the power sockets are located inside the shelves of the table, which is a good way to keep them out of sight. The table itself was broken, and stayed in place only because it rested on the bedside table. It was at a slight slope, and I had to scramble more than a few times to save my mobile phone/iPad from falling to the floor.

Being summer, the Air Conditioner saw a lot of use. Practically speaking, due to the heat and humidity, it was not possible to go out between 11 am and 5 pm, so essentially we had to spend the bulk of the day in the hotel. The AC was quite effective after we figured it out. The remote for the AC was handy, but we were at a loss as to where exactly to point it. After an hour, we called the housekeeping, who showed us that the panel was near the door. The rooms are located in such a way, that one has to get up and walk up to the door, point the remote through the slats and operate it. Could have been planned much better. There are fans in the rooms, but no regulator. You have a choice of full speed or off. We chose to leave it off. It was a bit of a pity, because we would have needed to use the AC much less.

The toilet and bathroom were clean, but no tap or health faucet near the toilet. This cannot be excused in India. The roll of paper was handy, but not having a faucet available is a no no.

There was a long balcony attached to the room. There were fans at either end, but for some reason they were angled to direct the stream of air at the walls. They were not in reach, so adjusting them was not possible. An example of a good idea but poor implementation. It was good to sit in the balcony for tea or a beer.

WiFi was free, quite fast, and reliable.

The use of the computer and printer was available, which was handy to print out my flight plans.

The choice of food was quite limited, and not really to our taste, but there were a lot of very good restaurants nearby, so it was not a problem. the dining room was well appointed, with a good choice of spirits. The waiters however were scarce at times. On two occasions, we had to go looking for one after sitting at the table for ten minutes. One other time, the waiter even managed to get our soup order wrong.

The room service really messed up. The day after we arrived, we ordered for lunch at 1:30. At 2:30 we called back to find out that no order had been placed. Later the explanation given was that the person who took the order had gone out of the hotel (without passing on the order to the kitchen), and got into an accident, due to which our order was never received by the kitchen. I suppose stranger things have happened...
We finally had lunch at 4:00. That was the last time we had anything other than breakfast at the hotel. Breakfast was decent. Cereals, eggs on order, tea/coffee, preserves. For the first two days there were also idlis, which I missed on the latter two days.

The personnel at the front desk were very helpful, as was the customer service. I had forgotten an item at the room, which was promptly sent to me by courier in a few days.

Room Tip: Go for the suite if you can afford it.
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank KingCondor
Danielle S, Manager at Le Dupleix, responded to this reviewResponded 31 May 2014

Dear Guest,

Thank you for being our guest recently, it was a pleasure meeting you and thank you for taking out your time to review us on Tripadvisor.
I am glad you enjoyed the location and especially the historic significance of Le Dupleix, one of Pondicherry's few, authentic heritage properties.

Your concerns about the table and the fans in the room have been looked into and rectified. All our rooms are equipped with an individual air conditioner, these have been installed at strategic places in every room and with the least possible disturbance to the ancient wooden ceilings and panels.

As conveyed in my earlier communication to you, immediately after you checked out, I understand your disappointment in our food and beverage services and I deeply regret any inconvenience this may have caused yourself and your wife. I have spoken to the concerned department and can assure you that all necessary steps to avoid situations like these in future have been taken.

At Le Dupleix we strive to exceed the expectations of all our guests, with this in mind I do hope you will visit us in the future, should you visit Pondicherry. It would be a pleasure having you as our guests once again.

Reviewed 15 May 2014

We stayed at this hotel for 2 nights. We had to choose between a non-sea facing room at the Promenade and this hotel - we were glad we eventually picked this one. The room in itself was rather unique - with a colonial architecture. The room was spacious and clean, had an attached attic (with an additional bed and TV there - which was pretty cozy) and a spacious balcony overlooking a beautiful quaint street. There was a large swing at the parlor in front of the room, which probably was common for all, but being right in front of our room gave us the advantage of using it whenever we wanted. The rooms were very different from the contemporary business hotels we generally stay in and that was the highlight of our stay.

The staff were very courteous and helpful (particularly Gladys and Suresh). They even surprised us with a cake on our wedding anniversary - making our stay even more delightful!

The breakfast spread, though wasn't vast, was pretty decent and filing.

Some small annoyances - the hotel did not have parking inside. You need to park outside on the street (though looks like this is common in most hotels in Pondy). The rooms were also in need of a little maintenance - the floors of the attic were slightly creaky, there was an occasionally leak in the bathroom and the chairs at the balcony needed repair.

Overall we had a very pleasant stay with not too much to complain about.

Room Tip: We stayed in room no.5 on the 1st floor (which was very good). Rooms on the 1st and 2nd floors have...
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple

Dear Guest,

Thank you for choosing to stay with us during your recent trip to Pondicherry, it was a pleasure having you as our guests and thank you for taking out the time to review us on Tripadvisor.

I am happy that we have been able to meet your expectations, your appreciation of Gladys and Suresh has been shared with the entire team and it encourages all of us in our constant endeavours to improve the quality of services offered to all our esteemed guests.

I understand your concern regarding the availability of parking at the hotel, however, we do have 24/7 security personnel at le Dupleix. I have also taken note of your concerns regarding the maintenance of the room, I have shared these with the team and can assure you that immediate corrective action will be taken.

Once again, thank you for being our guest and I do hope to be able to welcome you again should you visit Pondicherry in the future.

Reviewed 12 May 2014

My husband and I recently stayed here for a week end and were disappointed to say the least. Firstly we had hoped for a peaceful week end but the building next door is being renovated and there was a constant banging apart from on Sunday morning. Our room was not the one we had expected (the hotel did apologise and offer a change of room but not worth it for 1 night). It is true that the building is old french colonial (I am half french!) but the insides are a mish mash of styles and in serious need of restoration. Opaque glass from the bathroom onto the landings where people walk past very odd. Mouldy grouting in bathroom, old pot pourri in a brass dish sitting on the floor, a leaky toilet and towels we were not sure were clean so we asked for more. This hotel has such potential and i hope the owners will take heed of comments I made to the manager. The breakfast was basic and I did not see any nice french patisseries, rock hard non french baguette bread springs to mind. Their saving grace was they had earl grey tea! Our dinners and lunches were nice but nothing to write home about. The staff try but the crux of it is the company who own the hotel obviously do not want to spend and make it into something really nice. It would not cost a lot to do! The violinist was a nice touch is a little cheesy. The location is its main benefit.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
Danielle S, Front Office Manager at Le Dupleix, responded to this reviewResponded 14 May 2014

Dear Madam

We thank you for your valuable time spent to leave your feedback in TripAdvisor.

We have noted your feedback in detail about your experience in our hotel. We regret for the trouble and inconvenience you had at the hotel.

We do apologies for not being able to meet your expectations in this regard, and assure you that we will take all corrective measures to rectify all the issues you have faced.

We wish to inform you that we have discussed your feedback in detail with all the teams in order to make sure that this kind of feedback does not arise again.

With Regards

Devanathan Bangaru

Reviewed 3 May 2014 via mobile

This is stunning hotel! I made a very last minute booking (20mins before arrival & very early in the morning, as I was dissatisfied with another hotel I'd booked to stay at, & the staff were so welcoming & accommodating). The hotel is beautiful, restored to perfection, you really feel like you are stepping back into an olden French period. The lobby & restaurant is lovely and the food very delicious. Every single member of staff from the manager to the cleaning staff were warm & friendly (particularly Gladys & Krishna). Nothing was too much trouble & we were really well looked after throughout. The rooms were stunning, very spacious and really clean, with outdoor seating space overlooking the hotel lobby and surrounding area. I took my mum away to Pondicherry for a weekend break and we both had a fantastic time, particularly because the hotel is so nice, attractive & relaxing and also close to all local amenities & attractions. The staff know lots about the area so can recommend things to do, good restaurants etc. I wouldn't hesitate to recommend this hotel. It was a pleasure to stay here...a true five-star experience!!

• Stayed: April 2014
Danielle S, Manager at Le Dupleix, responded to this reviewResponded 5 May 2014

Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking out the time to review us on Tripadvisor and thank you for being our guest during your recent trip to Pondicherry, it was a pleasure having you and your mother with us.

Your appreciation of the staff and your special mention of Gladys and Krishna has been shared with the entire team and motivates us in our continuous efforts to assure that the expectations of all our guests are exceeded.

I am glad we have been able to make your stay with us comfortable and memorable. I do hope to be able to welcome you at Le Dupleix again, should you visit Pondicherry in the future.

Warmest regards,

Reviewed 22 April 2014

very beautiful place and very well maintained. The violin played on weekends for dinner makes it a special place to be in . the daily food menu is something very exciting and interesting to try different things put together as a meal.

Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family
Danielle S, Manager at Le Dupleix, responded to this reviewResponded 24 April 2014

Dear Guest,

Thank you for staying with us during your recent trip to Pondicherry, it was a pleasure having you as our guest and thank you for taking the time to review us on Tripadvisor.

Your appreciation of this true heritage hotel, our cuisine and Saturday evening with David, our violinist, has been shared with the entire team and it motivates us in our constant efforts to assure that all of our guest's expectations are exceeded.

I am looking forward to welcoming you as our guest again upon your next visit to Pondicherry.

Reviewed 22 April 2014

Le Dupleix has the perfect atmosphere of a French colony. I had an amazing stay here. The rooms were beautiful and clean. Amazing food! Staff is friendly and helpful. I had come with my family and we all enjoyed a lot. As this hotel is situated at a place that is far from traffic, it was a very relaxing and peaceful stay. Thanks for everything!!! :)

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family

Dear Guest,

Thank you for being our guest during your recent trip to Pondicherry and thank you for taking out the time to review us on Tripadvisor, it was a pleasure having you as our guests.

I am glad we have been able to exceed your expectations and that the location of Le Dupleix on a quiet corner in the French quarter gave you the tranquillity that you were looking for.

I do hope you will travel to Pondicherry in the future, I would be looking forward to welcoming you as our guest again.