“3 days at Du Parc”

Hotel Du Parc
Ranked #13 of 77 Hotels in Pondicherry
“3 days at Du Parc”
Reviewed 12 April 2014

I stayed for 3N with my family in Pondichery. The location of this hotel is good. It is close to most of the places that one would like to visit. Aurobindo ashram is ~400metres, Promenade is ~600m, Ganesha temple is ~100metres, Bharati park is ~300metres. It is on JN Street.

I stayed in a suite room, on the ground floor. The hotel has 9-10 rooms. 2 of them are suites. Now suites by itself is not as much a large, it has a small hall room with 2 small beds and a large bedroom (with atleast 15 ft ceiling). I was a little disappointed, with the room to be very frank. It has only one bathroom. The AC's were not very effective at a height of 15 ft. The furniture was pretty old and needed cleaning. The room did not have any view by itself (the hall had no windows)

Food is not the strength of this hotel/restaurant. The breakfast buffet spread is very limited with very mundane stuff served. so you would be typically served milk shake/watermelon juice. One cut fruit, corn flakes (on some days) and a dosa/pongal along with bread/eggs/omlette. The dosa or uttapam served was cold since the kitchen is on ground floor and by the time one eats the food its already cold. They dont charge any thing extra for room service which is a good gesture. The food that we ordered in our room was good except a chicken dish in which there were 3 small pieces of chicken (with bones) and a price of INR 350 plus.

The staff is very courteous and helpful. They advised me of the places worth visiting. They promptly also arranged for my drop to Chennai. I would like to thank Mr. Ravi, Gerard, Vivek, Venkat and others for extending such warm hospitality. Room services is fairly quick.

Overall its a small old world charm hotel; maintained pretty well and at a good location. I think it needs more staff to man the restaurant because during breakfast it becomes pretty much difficult to please all guests with only 2 staff member. Surguru ( a pure veg restaurant) is located bang opposite this hotel and is fairly good. It opens at 6 am. There is also a Anand bhavan which again serves veg food at competitive rates, which is like ~200metres away from this hotel.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank abhijit chaki

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (95)
  • Korean first
Wagga Wagga, Australia
Reviewed 10 April 2014

Olde-world charm and most helpful staff. Thoroughly enjoyed staying here and wouldn't hesitate to do so again. Centrally located, good food and well priced. My only issue was a lack of hot water and pressure.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled on business
Bangalore, Karnataka, India
Reviewed 2 April 2014

Visited Pondy for the first time last week and we wanted to stay in a heritage villa rather than a plain hotel room....and du Parc fulfilled on both counts...economically too. The staff are well behaved and helpful. The rooms are neat and spacious enough.
The place has a homely feel to it with great ambience...the location is good. It is close to all the major attractions in the city.
The food in the hotel 'La Maree' too awesome. We never bothered to eat anywhere else. Cost is economical too. If you are looking for a stay with a difference...this is the place!

• Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Vinamrata_Eswar
Bengaluru, India
Reviewed 31 March 2014

I love Pondicherry and visit once in a few months.This time round, I was taking my aunt and uncle here and wanted to stay and explore the French Quarters. Hotel Du Parc was a perfect stay in this aspect. It is a beautiful heritage building. Chrome yellow and difficult to miss, great location- a short walk from Aurobindo Ashram and the rocky beach, this hotel is lush with greenery inside and a beautiful deck to sit out in.
The staff were very helpful and courteous. They even upgraded us to a suite as we were three of us. The room was large and colonial, quite well done as well. Overall our stay was short and sweet.
The only negative here is the breakfast and cutlery. Breakfast is below average and cutlery could do with some cleaning. I would highly recommend getting out and walking a few steps to the left and eating at A2B for some yummy typical Tamilian breakfast.

Room Tip: Corner suite is large and palatial. Good if you are travelling with group.
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Prithviii
Bengaluru, India
Reviewed 30 March 2014

My husband and I are fans of antique/ heritage homes converted to hotels. Du parc is exactly that, with its French style entrance doors, high ceilings, duplex rooms and all that jazz. The property was built in the 1700s by the French colonials, which gives my husband and I a breeze of history that it might've witnessed during those times.

The hotel is in the French side although its just a few meters away from the hustle and bustle of the shopping market. About the hotel and its services, our booking was relatively hassle free; we were able to get a reservation 2 days in advance. The property is maintained alright, could do a bit better. The best part is the cozy courtyard in the middle. Breakfast was good enough, didn't try the restaurant though.

The room was really pretty with matching wall colours and drapes. The bathrooms were devoid of toiletries - moisturizers, shampoos & conditioners, although the soap and shampoo are ones that you wouldst want to use on account of it drying out your skin and hair. So don't forget to bring your own!

We enjoyed our little vacation because of the quaintness of the place and the sense of "cut-off" that it gives when you enter.

Happy Staying!!

• Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
Chennai (Madras), India
Reviewed 23 March 2014 via mobile

I think we have been here around ten times, and the stay was never disappointing. Most of the times, luckily, we get upgraded to deluxe rooms inspite of booking a standard room. My husband loves anything that's antique n we both fell in love with this place instantly. My friend introduced me to this place before 5 years n we visited this place every six months since then.

Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
Copenhagen, Denmark
Reviewed 23 March 2014

I also stayed at the Hotel du Parc based on Tripadvisor. Many visitors had highly praised it. I must say I was disappointed. As a visitor has written before me:
“Hotel doesn't look as good as good as pictures, but a fairly clean place to stay. Staff is helpful, friendly but slow. Breakfast is sufficient. Beat about this hotel is location in the French section of Pondicherry.” The first evening I had to ask the bed sheet to be changed, it was not clean! The Internet is best after midnight, but perhaps this is the overall Indian system and not the hotel. I came to Chennai by flight and the hotel arranged a car to bring me to Pondicherry for 3,200.00 INR. That was fine!

This may be a hotel that can satisfy backpackers and the price for a room per night was low. Unfortunately this hotel was not for me, which had to do with the standard of the facilities not the friendliness of the staff or the quality of the food.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled solo