All reviewsaurobindo ashramheritage hotelold french villawalking distancewould highly recommend this hotelfrench towncontinental foodmarket areawhite townthe hotel stafffrench heritagecentral locationplace to staydeluxe roomshotel restaurantantique furnituremini bar
Reviewed 18 April 2014

The Hotel du Parc is well located next to an interesting temple, where every evening, an elephant blesses worshipers for some small change. That is about all.
The rooms need a good fresh coat of paint. Breakfast is diabolical. The courtyard is plagued by a kind of metal mezzanine, which kills its colonial charm. I would not stay again, even though I was upgraded to a superior room.
Of all the hotels I visited in Pondicherry, I would have liked to stay at La Maison Tamoule, a superbly refurbished traditional south Indian house.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled solo
Reviewed 12 April 2014

I stayed for 3N with my family in Pondichery. The location of this hotel is good. It is close to most of the places that one would like to visit. Aurobindo ashram is ~400metres, Promenade is ~600m, Ganesha temple is ~100metres, Bharati park is ~300metres. It is on JN Street.

I stayed in a suite room, on the ground floor. The hotel has 9-10 rooms. 2 of them are suites. Now suites by itself is not as much a large, it has a small hall room with 2 small beds and a large bedroom (with atleast 15 ft ceiling). I was a little disappointed, with the room to be very frank. It has only one bathroom. The AC's were not very effective at a height of 15 ft. The furniture was pretty old and needed cleaning. The room did not have any view by itself (the hall had no windows)

Food is not the strength of this hotel/restaurant. The breakfast buffet spread is very limited with very mundane stuff served. so you would be typically served milk shake/watermelon juice. One cut fruit, corn flakes (on some days) and a dosa/pongal along with bread/eggs/omlette. The dosa or uttapam served was cold since the kitchen is on ground floor and by the time one eats the food its already cold. They dont charge any thing extra for room service which is a good gesture. The food that we ordered in our room was good except a chicken dish in which there were 3 small pieces of chicken (with bones) and a price of INR 350 plus.

The staff is very courteous and helpful. They advised me of the places worth visiting. They promptly also arranged for my drop to Chennai. I would like to thank Mr. Ravi, Gerard, Vivek, Venkat and others for extending such warm hospitality. Room services is fairly quick.

Overall its a small old world charm hotel; maintained pretty well and at a good location. I think it needs more staff to man the restaurant because during breakfast it becomes pretty much difficult to please all guests with only 2 staff member. Surguru ( a pure veg restaurant) is located bang opposite this hotel and is fairly good. It opens at 6 am. There is also a Anand bhavan which again serves veg food at competitive rates, which is like ~200metres away from this hotel.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank abhijitchaki
Reviewed 10 April 2014

Olde-world charm and most helpful staff. Thoroughly enjoyed staying here and wouldn't hesitate to do so again. Centrally located, good food and well priced. My only issue was a lack of hot water and pressure.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled on business
Reviewed 2 April 2014

Visited Pondy for the first time last week and we wanted to stay in a heritage villa rather than a plain hotel room....and du Parc fulfilled on both counts...economically too. The staff are well behaved and helpful. The rooms are neat and spacious enough.
The place has a homely feel to it with great ambience...the location is good. It is close to all the major attractions in the city.
The food in the hotel 'La Maree' too awesome. We never bothered to eat anywhere else. Cost is economical too. If you are looking for a stay with a difference...this is the place!

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Vinamrata_Eswar
Reviewed 31 March 2014

I love Pondicherry and visit once in a few months.This time round, I was taking my aunt and uncle here and wanted to stay and explore the French Quarters. Hotel Du Parc was a perfect stay in this aspect. It is a beautiful heritage building. Chrome yellow and difficult to miss, great location- a short walk from Aurobindo Ashram and the rocky beach, this hotel is lush with greenery inside and a beautiful deck to sit out in.
The staff were very helpful and courteous. They even upgraded us to a suite as we were three of us. The room was large and colonial, quite well done as well. Overall our stay was short and sweet.
The only negative here is the breakfast and cutlery. Breakfast is below average and cutlery could do with some cleaning. I would highly recommend getting out and walking a few steps to the left and eating at A2B for some yummy typical Tamilian breakfast.

Room Tip: Corner suite is large and palatial. Good if you are travelling with group.
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled with family