“Pretty Good...”

The Derbyshire Derby
Ranked #2 of 2 Hotels in South Normanton
Reviewed 22 November 2011

Stayed here for 1 night. Room was pretty standard but no problems. Was clean and comfortable. Parking not a problem. Drove past the turning for the hotel as not signposted but only took a couple of minutes to get back.. Breakfast was good.

My only issue was checking in. 2 people in front of me but I waited 15 minutes.... and that was only because another member of staff finally arrived and checked me in in less than 2 minutes. Not very efficient !

Other than that I would quite likely stay again...

• Stayed: November 2011, travelled on business
GlynnJ, General Manager at The Derbyshire Derby, responded to this reviewResponded 28 November 2011

Thank you for taking the time to post your feedback

It was pleasing to read your comments you would quite likely stay again. The bedrooms are very clean and comfortable as you mention.

I am sorry check in was not too efficient, we usually receive excellent comments how efficient the Reception team are, I have forwarded your comments to the Front Desk Manager so she can ensure two staff are on the desk at busy check in periods

I do hope we have the pleasure of welcoming you back to the Derbyshire sometime in the not too distant future

Glynn Jones

Write a ReviewReviews (1,689)

Reviewed 14 November 2011

Stayed at this hoel at the end of September 2011. We booked through Superbreaks & had a meal included on the first night ! There were lots of guests on the first night, this made getting a table in the resturant difficult, As there were only the two of us they squeezed us in so to say. We found the staff very helpfull & northing was any trouble. We booked the Hotel as we thought the location was perfect to explore Derbyshire. Was out all day on the Saturday, and seemed to have walked miles ! When we returned to the Hotel we went straight to the Pool, it was lovely just to relax and refresh our tired legs ! There is a Gym, Steam Room, Sauna & Spa. The room we had was clean & tidy, there is free Wi - Fi for 30 mins and then a small charge ! Breafast was ok, plenty of choice, but it does tend to get busy. Would definately return to this Hotel & have no complaints at all !

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled as a couple

Thank you for taking the time to post your review

I am pleased to read your comments that you would definitely return to the Derbyshire Hotel and had no cause to complain during your stay.

My staff always do their up most to accommodate our guests and I am glad a table was made available in the restaurant, as you point out they are always helpful and nothing is too much trouble.

The hotel is in a very convenient location to explore Derbyshire with its many attractions, I am glad you had an enjoyable day out and you where able to relax on your return. We do receive many comments on how relaxing our pool and spa is, one of the reasons our guests like to return.

We always offer a good breakfast with plenty of choice, we have been extremely busy over the summer months.

I do hope we have the pleasure of welcoming you back to the Derbyshire sometime in the future

Glynn Jones

Reviewed 17 October 2011

First of all I would like to explain that my Partner and I stayed at this Hotel via a booking with a 'Short Break Company' and so, the price we paid for a 3 night Bed, Breakfast and Dinner break was extremely good value for money. However, should we ever want to stay in this Hotel again, it would only be on a Bed and Breakfast basis. Why? Please read my further comments.

This Hotel is in an excellent location for striking out in all directions. Situated, as it is, at the junction of the M1 and A38, gives easy access to the whole of the Midlands. Although within a stones throw of both these major roads, we found the Hotel extremely quiet, shielded from traffic noise by the landscape.

Inside, the Hotel was very pleasant and welcoming as was the bedrooms. The Hotel has a bit of a 'Tardis' quality about it as some of the rooms (ours in particular) appeared to quite a 'hike' from the reception area including bar lounge and restaurant. As my partner is disabled, it proved to be a chore navigating the multiple corridors and 'fire doors' to reach our room. Unfortunately for us, despite the best efforts of the very friendly and helpful staff, there were no rooms available any closer to reception. It is advisable therefore, that anyone who does have mobility problems, to try and arrange a room as close to reception as possible.

My main 'gripe' with this Hotel however was the rather high prices for both drinks and meals. In our case, meals were included in our price so we couldn't complain regards the price of meals but considering the limited choice and only average quality, meals were way overpriced. In my opinion, 4 star prices for 2 star quality. You do expect to pay a little over the odds for drinks in a Hotel bar but the prices charged were ridiculous, even more so when the service was terrible and served up by a barman who thought he was doing you a favour by serving you. Especially when you could walk 100 yards across the road to a pub/restaurant and pay half the cost.

My summary therefore is, a lovely Hotel with very friendly staff (the barman being the exeption), in an ideal location. Would visit again but only on an overnight bed & breakfast basis and assuming a room closer to reception was available. Any longer stay would certainly involve planning to go elsewhere for drinks & meals.

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled as a couple
H0telGeneralManager, General Manager at The Derbyshire Derby, responded to this reviewResponded 19 October 2011

Thank you for taking the time to post your review

I am pleased you found the hotel to be extremely good value, I am sorry my friendly staff could not find you a room nearer to Reception we have been very busy over the last few months, If you had contacted us before your arrival I am certain a room closer to Reception would have been allocated.

The hotel is in a very convenient location although its close proximity to the M1, the landscaped grounds do make it very quietly pleasant.

We regularly complete competitor analysis within the local hotel set and our prices for food and drink are very similar to our 4 star neighbours. The prices across the road as you mention are slightly cheaper but it is classed as a pub.

I am sorry the bar man was an exception to the other staff you met during your stay, please feel rest assured your comments will be taken very seriously.

Reviewed 17 October 2011

Just had a fabulous weekend at this hotel.After reading some of the reviews I was somewhat sceptical about our visit,but I have to say I could find nothing to complain about.All the staff were extremely friendly,the bedroom comfortable,and the food very good.For value for money it was an excellent deal and we shall be looking for similar offers in the coming months.

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled as a couple

Thank you for taking the time to add your feedback

I am really pleased you had a fabulous weekend, with good food and a value for money stay, the Travel zoo promotion was a fantastic offer, it was disappointing to read some comments, although nearly almost all of our guests like yourselves did have a good time

I am certain some similar offers will be available over the coming months and do hope you can return to the Derbyshire on a similar deal.

Reviewed 17 October 2011

Every 3 to 6 months we look to have a weekend away with my father who, in his senior years, is less mobile than he used to be. Our booking always includes a request to be close to the reception / restaurant for this reason. The rooms we were allocated were hardly close. We were told this was due to the rooms requested being executive rooms and that was that, no further discussion about the matter at reception. The rooms are a little dated, with old style TV's which in my case didn't work so I had to change rooms. They are comfortable though and the beds are huge. There is a main bar which isn't too bad but suffers from a lack of staff and facilities. At one time I waited some 15 minutes whilst the barman looked for the (apparently single communal corkscrew) to open a bottle of wine. Even in these days of screw cap wine bottles I tend to think a barman in a 4star hotel would normally have his own corkscrew. Dinner was interesting in that there was no al a carte menu however the choice was fair taste good and the staff very good so the meal was enjoyable on both occasions we took dinner. Breakfast was a help yourself buffet and quit tasty with a good selection and the ability to order specials such as black pudding. If location is everything the Derbyshire is right by the M1 so getting out and about is easy. Overall not too bad but not the place I would be chomping at the bit to go back to.

Room Tip: If you have mobility problems make it clear at the time of booking.
  • Stayed: October 2011, travelled with family
H0telGeneralManager, General Manager at The Derbyshire Derby, responded to this reviewResponded 24 October 2011

Thank you for taking the time to post your review

We have been very busy over the last few months, If you had contacted us before your arrival explaining your father was in his senior years, I am certain a room closer to Reception would have been allocated, it was however pleasing to read the room was comfortable with a large bed.

The hotel is in a very convenient location making it easy to visit the local attractions although its close proximity to the M1 the landscaped grounds do make it very quietly pleasant.

I was sorry to read your disappointment with bar service and that the bar man did not have a corkscrew, all the food service staff receive a corkscrew with their uniform so a little shocked he did not have one, thank you for bringing this to my attention.

We do pride ourselves on the food we serve both for breakfast and dinner, I am glad you found it to be enjoyable on both occasions.

Reviewed 15 October 2011

I booked this via travelzoo and what a fabulous value for money. We booked a three night stay which included full English breakfasts and dinner. The room was excellent, a good selection of toiletries, iron and ironing board all you wish in a room. The food delicious, the staff were happy, helpful and professional. The Peek District is a beautiful part of England so exploring it was a pleasure. Terrific value for money - left us wondering how on earth they manage to provide all this for the money, this is a hotel group I will definitely be returning to.

Room Tip: The hotel is only two stories high therefore there really is no a need for a lift unless you have a...
  • Stayed: October 2011, travelled as a couple

Thank you for taking the time to post your feedback

It was pleasing to read your comments regarding your recent stay three night stay on the Travel Zoo offer, I am glad you found your room to be excellent and all you could wish for, we do get many comments on the complimentary selection of toiletries.

The staff are very happy and always try hard to offer a helpful and professional service to all our guests ensuring our guests want to return.

We do pride ourselves on the food we serve, the Chef will be very pleased to hear the food was delicious.

Reviewed 12 October 2011

We have just returned today from a 3night break through easy break. This included dinner bed and breakfast. From arriving at the hotel to leaving there was not one thing I could complain about.room lovely, meals great and health suite just the perfect relaxing finish to the day. The staff where very helpful. Would love to return.

• Stayed: October 2011

Thank you for taking the time to add your feedback

I am so pleased you could not find anything to complain about, we do have a new Management structure in place and this certainly does make a difference to the service we offer.

The Leisure Club does have a relaxing atmosphere and is a great place to relax after a busy day sightseeing in the Peak District.

I certainly do hope you can return to the Derbyshire sometime in the not too distant future

Also consider these accommodations in or near South Normanton
11 mi away
Ringwood Hall Hotel
Ringwood Hall Hotel
#1 of 1 in Brimington

Been to The Derbyshire Derby? Share your experiences!