“Perfect, from start to end”

The Derbyshire Derby
Ranked #2 of 2 Hotels in South Normanton
Reviewed 9 December 2013

Stayed here recently on the travel zoo deal and we cannot fault this hotel, or the deal. From the food to the staff to the free tickets to Chatsworth, it was all faultless and if I see the deal on travel zoo again, we will definitely be staying!!

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
Angela H, Manager at The Derbyshire Derby, responded to this reviewResponded 16 January 2014

Dear Guest

Thank you for your delightful review of the Derbyshire Hotel, I am pleased everything was perfect, the staff will take great heart from your kind words, do hope to see you in the near future

Angela Hardy

Write a ReviewReviews (1,666)

Reviewed 2 December 2013

I stayed at the Derbyshire Hotel as part of a coach trip to Chatsworth and the Christmas market. I was with my mother although we both had our own rooms on the ground floor. The rooms were clean and comfortable and had all you could want for a nights stay - my room had a fridge which was very handy although my mothers room didn't?? I have a restricted diet and couldn't eat anything from the standard menu, the staff could not have been more helpful and provided me with the perfect alternative without any fuss. The bar was very busy in the evening and their was a family party going on in the banquet room, the barman was pushed to the limits but still managed to ensure everyone was served without too much of a wait. Mum and I go on a lot of coach trips and the hotel experience can be varied to say the least!! however this is one that I would be thrilled to go back to!!

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled with family
GlynnJ, General Manager at The Derbyshire Derby, responded to this reviewResponded 16 December 2013

Dear Fireater41,
Thank you for your recent review, I do hope you enjoyed Chatsworth and the Christmas markets, they are very popular with lots of guests. I am glad you found your room to expectation and that we could accomodate your food requirements in our restaurant.
We do hope you visit again in the near future.

Reviewed 2 December 2013

Very enjoyable 2 night stay. Rather a busy junction on the M1 (J28) but once you have found the Hotel and hopefully a room not too near the busy, noisy Motorway, it was a pleasant stay and excellant food in the restaurant.
Very comfortable room and well run Hotel, although used mainly by Companies for Conferences & Courses, it was a good Easy-Break deal & handy for Chatsworth, Bakewell etc.,(note, public transport not easily available) but would use again.

Room Tip: ask for quieter room away from Motorway
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple

Dear James P,
Thankyou for your recent review, I am pleased you found your room comfortable and the food in the restaurant to be excellent, I will pass on your comments to the Chef.
The hotel is in a good location for Derbyshire's many attractions and market towns.

Reviewed 1 December 2013

Just got back from a 2 night b&b stay at The Derbyshire, what an excellent Hotel. (Stayed 29 Nov to 01 Dec 2013).
The room was all you could want for 2 nights, bed was extremely comfortable, no complaints.
All staff that we came into contact with we're friendly and helpful. Pool & Spa on site that we didn't use so can't comment on it.
A good location for retail therapy, very close to East Midlands Designer Outlet, Mansfield & Derby.
Would definitely stay here again (if the price is right).

Room Tip: We had room 139 which was near the end of the corridor away from any noise.
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple

Dear Bert B,
Thankyou for your recent review. I am pleased that you found your bedroom to expectation and you found the staff friendly and helpful. The hotel is located near the outlet shopping centre as well as attractions such as Chatsworth House.
If you look on our website you will find seasonal promotions for stays at very good prices.We do hope you stay again.
Glynn Jones.

Reviewed 1 December 2013

Stayed a Friday and Saturday in a standard room. We arrived at 3 and had a warm welcome from Reception. The room was rather disappointing, but clean. The TV made us smile as we didn't realise this type of TV was still being used! It was from the 80's I reckon. Which is the theme for most of the hotel. The staff are wonderfully helpful, pleasant but the decor lets them down. The staff deserve to work in a more 'modern' environment. We eat in the restaurant both evenings. The first night I enjoyed the most delicious meal I had had for a long time. I had the catch of the day....smoked haddock. It looked wonderful and tasted even better. We would both thoroughly recommend the restaurant. Two courses £17. 3 courses £20. Breakfast. This was adequate in the choices. Two areas I think need improvement are: 1) there was a sign as you entered the restaurant asking you to wait to be seated.....numerous times a queue formed as nobody was there to meet the guests and 2) the hot breakfast buffet was often out of hot food. Both mornings there we no fried eggs or hash browns and people started to queue and wait...some giving up.
The restaurant food made this stay.....credit to the chef and staff.

Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple

Dear Tweekie,
Thank you for your feedback on your recent stay. I am glad that you had a warm welcome from our reception team and you found the staff wonderfully helpful. I will pass on your comments to the Chef about your positive food comments.
The hotel has a planned refurbishment programme, recently we have completed the lounge area.

Reviewed 1 December 2013

A great hotel at very sensible prices. Love the pool,steam room,Hot tub and sauna.The hotel is ideally situated being just of junction 28 of the M1 for a variety of destinations around Derbyshire and Nottinghamshire. All staff are very friendly and accommodating, Rooms are adequate and clean.Altogether very good value for money. Across the rd is a brewery fare pub which offers very good value meals and drinks should you want something a little cheaper than the prices at the Derbyshire restaurant and bar.

Room Tip: ask for a room on ground floor next to spa
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple

Dear Gary S,

Thankyou for your recent review. I am pleased that you are a regular user and you find our staff friendly and accomodating. The leisure club is a great place to relax whether on a business trip or leisure time away. We hope to see you in the near future.

Reviewed 28 November 2013

Stayed on Business trip and found this hotel to be well presented and looked after. Resteraunt served nice food (loved the fish pie which was only £15). Thought they over charged for a glass of wine £9. Room was clean if a little small having said that I was on my own so not a problem. Gym a little tired but good enougth. Staff very helpful. Would recommend but business or weekend away!

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled on business
GlynnJ, General Manager at The Derbyshire Derby, responded to this reviewResponded 2 December 2013

Dear SteveWilliams124,

Thank you for your recent comments, I am pleased that you found the hotel well presented and that you found the staff very helpful. Thanks for recommending us.

Also consider these accommodations in or near South Normanton
Mour Hotel
Mour Hotel
#1 of 1 in Annesley
Hallmark Hotel Derby Mickleover Court

Been to The Derbyshire Derby? Share your experiences!