“Nice weekend break”

Ranked #2 of 2 Hotels in South Normanton
Gainsborough, United Kingdom
“Nice weekend break”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 June 2014

We stayed there on Friday and Saturday evening in June and thought it was pleasant and good value. We checked in on the afternoon and the receptionist was very efficient and polite. The room and bathroom was clean and the shower worked well. I noted someone's comments re old fashioned TV which was very true and was somewhat surprised they had not been updated.
We did not use the restaurant so cannot comment but used the Brewers Fayre across the road which was very good (see separate review).
The beds were comfortable and our room was quiet even though there was a wedding party.
Breakfast was very good with plenty of choice and the cooked food was hot.
I used the gym which was relatively small but all of the equipment worked well and the air conditioning worked well.
There is not much around the hotel but it is convenient for the popular Derbyshire tourist spots
We would certainly use it again and parking is not an issue

Joel F, Manager at The Derbyshire Derby, responded to this review, 4 July 2014
Thank you for your review. We are delighted to hear you had a good stay, we are very lucky with our location near the Peak District.

We hope to welcome you back again soon.

Best wishes,
The Management Team

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (282)
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 June 2014 via mobile

The brochure pictures probably raised my expectations of the hotel so I'm a little disappointed. The staff are very friendly & helpful, it is very clean with decent facilities in the gym & pool. The room is clean & reasonable size. So why am I dissapointed? Some might think some of my comments petty but still here they are. The TV is an old cathode ray bulbous monstrosity with poor snowy picture, only 5 channels & no TV guide. A wet towel which I had used 4 times & left on the floor for the laundry had been folded up & put on the bath side, toilet roll not replaced. I'm staying on the lower level near the spa & it's hot, the corridors are a bit gloomy too, it needs sprucing up.
I noticed other comments on TripAdvisor about ample parking my experience is different the last 2 nights it's been packed with cars abandoned everywhere & parked on double yellow lines.
I would still return just a little disappointed, I feel slightly guilty using there free WiFi to write & post this

Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
2 Thank 1302andy
Dear Andy

Thank you for your feedback. We are sorry that you feel the hotel does not match all the pictures, this not our aim. We do have a rolling programme of refurbishment ongoing at all times, having recently done the Lounge and Reception area. I will review your comments with the Housekeeping Manager too.

We are pleased the team looked after your well though.

south cave
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 June 2014

We only had night at this hotel. Its actual location is near housing, but it is near to some beautiful countryside so is a good base. The room we had was spacious (for a couple and a young child), clean and well-equipped. The hotel facilities such as the pool were good, too. We had a stay which included an evening meal as well as a breakfast. The buffet breakfast was very good with lots to choose from and you didn't feel rushed. The evening meal was all right. I'm glad we had it included in our deal as the restaurant was quite pricey. The food was really nice, but the portions were Cordon Bleu size. However, I would have to recommend the sticky toffee pudding with brandy snap and butterscotch sauce as one of the most delicious desserts I have ever eaten! The staff were friendly and helpful.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
Joel F, Manager at The Derbyshire Derby, responded to this review, 27 June 2014
Thank you for your comments. We are very lucky with our location on the edge of the Peak District. We are pleased you made the most of our great location.

Stratford-upon-Avon, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 June 2014

We recently returned from a stay at the hotel on a travelzoo deal and were very impressed. The staff couldn't be more helpful and very friendly and the food was excellent. Really enjoyable stay. Thank you.

Joel F, Manager at The Derbyshire Derby, responded to this review, 27 June 2014
Thank you for the feedback. It is great to hear you enjoyed all aspects of your stay. We have a range of offer on the Principal Hayley website at all times.

Ryde, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 June 2014

We stayed here some years ago and enjoyed it, so tried it again for two nights. It was as good as before. It's a full-service hotel, rather than the usual chain hotels that are everywhere and all feel the same. The staff are super people and really want you to enjoy your stay.
The location is very convenient being just off the motorway and there is plenty of free parking. It has a very intelligent layout, the function rooms are off to one side of reception and all the bedrooms are on the other. This means that you are very unlikely to hear the noisy disco!
We chose the standard room and it was perfectly adequate with a comfortable bed and plenty of room and a very good shower. The decor was a little dated, but as I suspect my room was cheaper than the nearby Premier Inn I am not complaining.
We ate in the hotel restaurant on both nights and the food was excellent and fairly priced. I ordered something from room-service one evening and it arrived promptly. We didn't use the pool or leisure facilities but it all looked clean and well-presented. We paid for the breakfasts at time of booking, don't be put off by the cost as the breakfast choice was fantastic!
In summary, you get full-service for little difference in price to the normal budget chains.

Room Tip: Ask for one of the upgraded rooms as the decor and fittings in the standard rooms are a little tired...
Joel F, Manager at The Derbyshire Derby, responded to this review, 27 June 2014
Thank you for your comments. It is good to hear that you enjoyed your stay as much this time as you did a few years ago. We pride ourselves on our team and they always aim to deliver for our guests.

We hope you make it back again.

Bromsgrove, England, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 June 2014

I stayed here on business for 2 separate weeks in May & June. I have Coeliac disease and was initially concerned that this would be an issue, but in fact I was really well catered for. I called prior to arrival and was able to arrange to have a room with a mini fridge, which was really handy because I also need lactofree milk. At breakfast each morning, I requested a specially prepared breakfast (not contaminated by being part of the buffet) and within a few minutes a lovely fresh breakfast of bacon, fried eggs, mushrooms, tomatoes and beans was brought to me. At evening meal, I was able to have the steak along with the triple cooked fries (but only cooked twice so they were gf!) and salad. Also chicken supreme and some of the fish dishes, plus they had reasonable gf rolls. On the second week, I attended a course that was held at the hotel itself, and again was catered for with lovely hot lunches - beef pie specially topped with mash (instead of puff pastry), cajun salmon, chicken stroganoff, etc. One day there was even a strawberry meringue pudding that I could have - gf heaven!! (More gluten free friendly puddings other than fruit salad would have made me even happier!).

I found the staff at the hotel to be very friendly and they could not do enough to assist me. At breakfast they were constantly whizzing around serving tea/coffee and taking away dishes. The main areas of the hotel are lovely, and air conditioned. The hotel is let down slightly by the standard of the rooms. They are clean, comfortable and perfectly adequate, but the decor is quite old fashioned and the rooms do have old large tvs, slightly noisey bathroom fans (most sorted by closing the bathroom door at night) and can get warm on hot days. The room I had on the second week (room 271) was larger, cooler and quieter than the first week (room 320) though it was a longer walk from reception (worth it).

Whilst there I used the spa facilities, there is a small gym, swimming pool, jacuzzi, sauna and steam room which was all nice. The jacuzzi was out of order on my first stay but working again by the second stay with notices announcing that it was being replaced shortly.

There is loads of parking (never seen it full) and I could not hear the motorway at all once inside the hotel. The location was handy for most things - found a morrisons, sainsburys, cinema, ikea, loads of eating places, etc. all nearby and there is also a designer outlet with M&S, Cadbury shop, etc. on the other side of the dual carriageway.

All in all, this is a good hotel and the slightly dated decor is more than made up for by the friendly staff working hard to make your stay as pleasant as possible. Visiting Coeliacs need not worry about being catered for (I was not once made to feel like it was any trouble to accommodate my diet). I would stay at the Derbyshire again without hesitation.

Room Tip: Some rooms are are larger, cooler and quieter than others (room 271 was a good one as long as you do...
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
Joel F, Manager at The Derbyshire Derby, responded to this review, 27 June 2014
Thank you for the review. We are always happy to cater for special dietary requests and the Head Chef and team will endeavour to ensure everyone gets a good selection and range of dishes freshly prepared.

We hope to welcome you back again soon.

Cambridge, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 June 2014

I stayed one night as I had a conference arranged in this hotel. Good location, ample free car parking space, pleasant staff, no lifts but staff are happy to help you with luggage, clean rooms (I stayed in a standard room), good quality sleep, breakfast was very nice. I think internet was free but I did not need to use it so can't comment on the quality of the network.

Things to improve:
Breakfast time could be extended on weekdays
If possible please provide a bottle of water in every rooms (I have stayed in one of the best B&B's in the UK which charged me around £50 for a double room that included complimentary fast internet, breakfast and they were happy to provide a water bottle free of cost; when you charged me around £90, I think you could do easily).

• Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank sbsdrive
Joel F, Manager at The Derbyshire Derby, responded to this review, 27 June 2014
Thank you for your review and recommendations. We are pleased you enjoyed your stay with us; we do offer free internet to all guests. We welcome guest feedback as it enables us to continue to improve.

Also consider these accommodations in or near South Normanton
3.5 of 5 bubbles 1,122 reviews
Ringwood Hall Hotel
Ringwood Hall Hotel
#1 of 1 in Brimington

Been to The Derbyshire Derby? Share your experiences!