“Good hotel but nothing special”

The Derbyshire Derby
Ranked #2 of 2 Hotels in South Normanton
Reviewed 8 July 2014

Large room but furniture outdated, comfortable bed and given the location near main roads surprisingly quiet. The only two real downsides was the fact that the restaurant for breakfast is really too small to cope and the food for conference participants was nothing special.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled on business
Joel F, Manager at The Derbyshire Derby, responded to this reviewResponded 11 July 2014

Thank you for your review.

We are very looking that even with our easy access location near the J28 of M1 and the A38 we get little noise plus we have an edge of the beautiful peak district. We are currently reviewing our conference food offering and thank you for your feedback.

The Management Team

Write a ReviewReviews (1,692)

Reviewed 5 July 2014

Stayed this weekend for two nights and paid £130. The price was discounted I think as the leisure facilities are out of action! I think what we paid was fair as in my opinion it is no better than a premiere inn, in fact I've stayed at better premiere inns! There is one NXT door as it happens!! The hotel has the feel of needing a little tlc! Although nothing to really complain about I would have been very disappointed if I had paid the normal room rate!!

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family

Thank you for the comments. We have a range of packages on offer at all times; please see The Derbyshire Hotel website and Principal Hayley Hotels website. We have rolling programme of redecoration.

Reviewed 5 July 2014

My husband and I have visited The Derbyshire on 7 occasions. Each visit has been great. We always feel comfortable in this hotel and lots to see in surrounding areas a good base.
Rooms are a bit dated but always clean. Bar area is nice to sit relax and have a nightcap.
Spa is good, steam room is great , pool a good size.
Breakfast is fantastic, so much variety and topped up regular, staff very helpful and friendly.

Only downside this visit was children in the swimming pool , took over most of the pool and we did not go in until after 7.15pm we were only in pool 5 mins got out .Should really be a cut off time for children.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank jujuhall

It was a pleasure to see you again. Thank you for your review and for suggestion. We look forward to seeing you again soon.

Reviewed 2 July 2014

I joined friends for a Groupon Spa day at the Derbyshire recently. I thought the idea of groupon was to encourage good feedback and recommendations, somethimg I would not do for this spa day experience.
On arrival we were told we could not book additional treatments as they were full, ( we telephoned two weeks prior to book extra treatments and were told to just book on the day!).
The swimming pool was available to use but the whirlpool jacuzzi was broken due to a boiler breaking down!
Lunch was provided - we were supposed to eat in a relaxation room but were told that as there were 5 of us there would not be enough room! The room had 5 seats.
Instead we were told not to worry we will put you privately in a conference room. This room was set out for business meetings with flip charts and note pads. Hardly a relaxing experience on a spa day to be reminded of work!
They had only preperaed 4 lunches so one of our party had to wait 20 mimutes for her lunch. No refreshments were offered. We had to ask for a jug of water.
Back to the pool after lunch and treatments for a lie down. ( the treatments werer lovely).
On departure we experienced freezing cold showers as the boiler of course was broken.
The staff were very polite throughout the day however the point of the spa being to relax was taken away by lack of working facilities and a corporate lunch. I wouldnt be recommending a spa day here to anyone. I believe the spa was to be refurbished the following week however as a paying customer I would still expect the same adequate facilities that I would hope would be provided after the refurb.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with friends
2  Thank JARY2014
Joel F, Manager at The Derbyshire Derby, responded to this reviewResponded 4 July 2014

Dear Reviewer

Thank you for your feedback, we are sorry some aspects of your spa day did not live up to your expectation. We will use all your comments to ensure we enhance our service wherever possible. As you said we have this week finished some light refurbishment work in the leisure club including a new Jacuzzi and Sauna. We are really pleased you enjoyed the main treatments so much though.

Reviewed 28 June 2014

We stayed there on Friday and Saturday evening in June and thought it was pleasant and good value. We checked in on the afternoon and the receptionist was very efficient and polite. The room and bathroom was clean and the shower worked well. I noted someone's comments re old fashioned TV which was very true and was somewhat surprised they had not been updated.
We did not use the restaurant so cannot comment but used the Brewers Fayre across the road which was very good (see separate review).
The beds were comfortable and our room was quiet even though there was a wedding party.
Breakfast was very good with plenty of choice and the cooked food was hot.
I used the gym which was relatively small but all of the equipment worked well and the air conditioning worked well.
There is not much around the hotel but it is convenient for the popular Derbyshire tourist spots
We would certainly use it again and parking is not an issue

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple

Thank you for your review. We are delighted to hear you had a good stay, we are very lucky with our location near the Peak District.

We hope to welcome you back again soon.

Reviewed 25 June 2014

The brochure pictures probably raised my expectations of the hotel so I'm a little disappointed. The staff are very friendly & helpful, it is very clean with decent facilities in the gym & pool. The room is clean & reasonable size. So why am I dissapointed? Some might think some of my comments petty but still here they are. The TV is an old cathode ray bulbous monstrosity with poor snowy picture, only 5 channels & no TV guide. A wet towel which I had used 4 times & left on the floor for the laundry had been folded up & put on the bath side, toilet roll not replaced. I'm staying on the lower level near the spa & it's hot, the corridors are a bit gloomy too, it needs sprucing up.
I noticed other comments on TripAdvisor about ample parking my experience is different the last 2 nights it's been packed with cars abandoned everywhere & parked on double yellow lines.
I would still return just a little disappointed, I feel slightly guilty using there free WiFi to write & post this

Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business
2  Thank 1302andy
Joel F, Manager at The Derbyshire Derby, responded to this reviewResponded 27 June 2014

Dear Andy

Thank you for your feedback. We are sorry that you feel the hotel does not match all the pictures, this not our aim. We do have a rolling programme of refurbishment ongoing at all times, having recently done the Lounge and Reception area. I will review your comments with the Housekeeping Manager too.

We are pleased the team looked after your well though.

Kind regards

Reviewed 25 June 2014

We only had night at this hotel. Its actual location is near housing, but it is near to some beautiful countryside so is a good base. The room we had was spacious (for a couple and a young child), clean and well-equipped. The hotel facilities such as the pool were good, too. We had a stay which included an evening meal as well as a breakfast. The buffet breakfast was very good with lots to choose from and you didn't feel rushed. The evening meal was all right. I'm glad we had it included in our deal as the restaurant was quite pricey. The food was really nice, but the portions were Cordon Bleu size. However, I would have to recommend the sticky toffee pudding with brandy snap and butterscotch sauce as one of the most delicious desserts I have ever eaten! The staff were friendly and helpful.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family

Thank you for your comments. We are very lucky with our location on the edge of the Peak District. We are pleased you made the most of our great location.

Kind regards

#1 of 1 in Eastwood
Travelodge Alfreton
Travelodge Alfreton
#1 of 1 in Alfreton

Been to The Derbyshire Derby? Share your experiences!