“Close to the Peak District” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of The Derbyshire Derby

The Derbyshire Derby
Ranked #2 of 2 Hotels in South Normanton
Birmingham, United Kingdom
“Close to the Peak District”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 September 2014

Hotel tucked away just off junction 28 of the M1. Just 30 minutes drive to Bakewell and lovely walking area. Spotlessly clean room and comfy bed, my only gripe with the room was that it was very hot at night and although we opened the window we could hear traffic from the M1 and A38 but that was preferable to being cooked alive in the room. Used the swimming pool, jaccuzi steam room and sauna, it was lovely after a day walking in the dales. At one point we had the whole swimming pool to ourselves for a good half hour. Found the bar and restaurant a bit pricey so we went to a Brewers Fayre pub which is opposite the hotel. The breakfast which was included in our price was excellent. I give it 10/10 every taste was catered for, didn't need lunch after such a hearty meal. Thought the staff were lovely, very kind and helpful, nothing was too much trouble. I would recommend this hotel and would definitely return.

Room Tip: We were in room 227 no sound from motorways unless window opened.
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Joel F, Manager at The Derbyshire Derby, responded to this review, 7 September 2014
Thank you for your review.

We are very lucky with our location just off Junction 28 of the M1 but still very near the Peak District as well as Derby and Nottingham city centers.

The Management Team

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (273)
Minehead, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 September 2014

Stayed here recently as part of a group. Our room was clean and comfortable with a good size bathroom and lovely large white fluffy towels. We found without exception all the members of staff pleasant and helpful. I was not able to connect my I-Pad to WIFI even using the supplied codes but the Receptionist soon did this for me. Breakfast was excellent, plenty of choice and all well cooked and presented. Evening meals were disappointing though. The starters generally very good, deserts on the whole OK with the exception of the Bread and Butter Pudding, which was completely inedible but the main courses were not really up to standard. The drinks were very expensive. Many of our party stopped buying wine after the first night! You may well sell more if you lower your prices.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled with friends
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Thank you for your feedback. We will use it help develop our Food & Beverage offering.

It is great to hear all the staff looked after you so well.

Best wishes,
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 September 2014

Stayed for four night bed and breakfast with friends. Lovely, clean hotel. Good rooms, very friendly staff. Good choice at breakfast and even though was buffet style a good well cooked and hot selection. Will stay here again.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled with friends
      Sleep Quality
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Thank you for your review.

We are pleased to hear you had such a good stay. We look forwarded to welcoming you back again soon.

Best wishes,
Northumberland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 August 2014

The hotel is ideally situated just off the M1 and very easy to find. There is ample car parking even when there is a function taking place. Check in was very quick and I was directed to my room 265 in no time. The room is very spacious and well equipt with trouser press, ironing board and tea making facilities. Room and bathroom were nice and clean, lovely comfy double bed. I used the gym and spa on both days, the gym is only small but all the equpment was in good working order and plentyful. The pool, sauna and steam room were like new a lovely surprise after a long journey. Next to the recepion area there is a good selection of brouchures with things to do out and about. The food in the hotel is a bit on the expensive side, I had a 12" pizza £12.50 and a pint of Boddingtons £4.30 on day one and fish & chips £14 on day two both in the bar. I didn't experience any traffic noise from Motorway but that could just be the position of the room I was allocated. WIFI was very good as was the tv reception but there are only 6 channells to watch. The breakfast is excellant but go early as it does get busy at the later times. All in all a very enjoyable stay and I will use the hotel again without wasting time looking at other alternatives.

Room Tip: Ask for a room away from the reception area but other than that 265 is a good choice tucked away fro...
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled solo
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Joel F, Manager at The Derbyshire Derby, responded to this review, 28 August 2014
Dear Guest

thank you for your review, I am pleased you found 265 to be good and always pleasing to hear the room was of a good clean standard with all the guest amentities one would expect
We are ideally loacted and noise from the nearby motorway is minimal

I am glad to hear breakfast was good we do pride ourselves on the breakfast we offer in the hotel

It was pleasing to read you would use the hotel again and we loo forwrad to you visiting again

Saltaire, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 August 2014 via mobile

We used The Derbyshire Hotel as a base for a Peak District Bank Holiday getaway and weren't disappointed. We booked online direct with the hotel and received a discount and breakfast included for a room only price. Our room was supposed to be a twin but we emailed a request for a double and this was honoured. It was rather warm in the room (there was a fan) and the TV was an old, deep one but everything else was at a good standard. Access to the leisure facilities was included although we didn't make the most of these. Breakfast was impressive although I wouldn't have wanted to pay the £10 per person that was charged when not includdd in the room rate. The hotel is well-placed next to the M1, a dangerously close distance from the East Midlands Designer Outlet and brilliant for reaching Matlock, Nottingham and Sherwood Forest with plenty of parking. Overall very impressed.

Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Sian R
Dear Guest

Thank you for your review, I am glad you had a great break and visited some of the local attractions within in easy reach of the hotel and of course the deisgner village accross the way for some great bargains !
I am glad the team responded to your request for a double room we do try an accommodate wherever possible
Hope you visit again soon
London, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 August 2014

Check in was quick, however the receptionist did not mention the leisure facilities or the free WiFi codes.
Hallway carpet was very worn with holes.
The allocated room was dusty with a very memorable nasty smell and the window was not closing
When I call reception the other receptionist immediately told me the hotel was fully booked and would call me back if it was possible to move rooms. At this point the nearby premier inn was looking very inviting. Luckily the second receptionist was despatched and she was very very good ( Faye). An alternative room was found without the smell, but the windows were still not lockable/close properly
When the key card was changed the first receptionist again made a point of telling me the hotel was fully booked.
I could not log onto WiFi during the entire stay. TV did not work and the remote control was labelled as Radisson Edwardian.
Evening meal was not very good and the only item I could recomend was my collegues burger. The tiramisu was inedible. I would have complained but after it had sat on the table for 30 minutes we were still having problems getting anyones attendtion, when someone did come to the table we asked for the bill. When we left the restaurant was empty (9.30pm).
It was similarly difficult to get anyones attention to ask about breakfast options
I did inform checkout that the hairdryer in my room was broken and that all of my collegues had issues with the water for showers.
Faye had arranged for my room rate to be reduced to reflect my poor experience.

Room Tip: 328 had a very bad smell
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled on business
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank Tea_lover2013
Dear Guest

Thank you for your review, I am pleased the Reception team found you an alternative room without any fuss, we don't usually have any problems connecting to the WIFI which is a relatively new provider and has been great for connectivty
I am pleased Faye was of great assistance and reduced your rate I will let her know your kind words
At present we have a programme in place which involves replacing all showers which I am positive wiil allevaite any further problems

i do hope when you visit again your expectations are met and we can make amends for any previous disappointment

Should you wish to discuss your review please contact either myself or Joel Fagg the General Manager or myself on 01773 812000

kind Regards
Wakefield
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 August 2014

Booked this hotel after seeing a good deal advertised on Travelzoo, but have come away with mixed emotions
First impressions weren't good as it was almost impossible to contact the hotel by phone to confirm our booking. I sent an email but never received a reply, and after trying again by phone I eventually got the booking confirmed.
The room we were allocated on arrival was a good size, with a king size bed and large bathroom but the evening meal which came as part of the package was disappointing, as was the price of the drinks which we had with our meal.
Breakfast was self-service and a big improvement but part of this was cold, though I realise it must be difficult catering for a large amount of people over a 3 hour period
Location is just off the M1 but poorly signposted, but there is only a little traffic noise in the hotel, and its a good base for exploring Derbyshire.
I thought the price we paid was good value, and I would recommend the hotel to friends, but there are the areas of improvement I have mentioned
As a footnote, I realised I left my phone charger in the room when I got home. I contacted the hotel reception (with difficulty) and I was told someone would phone me once they had got it, so it could be collected at a later date.
I'm still waiting for the phone call...

Room Tip: Ask for a room away from the road
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank roddy45
Dear Roddy

Thank you for your review, I am sorry you ahd trouble getting in touch with the hotel, it was disappinting to read your diiner was not great, we usually recive some really postive feedback regarding our food offering, I am glad breakfast was better the next morning

The hotel is situated in a great loaction for all local attractions and it was pleasing to read you would recommend the hotel

i beleive the Manager on duty as located your charger and is in the process of returning it to you

i do hope you will visit again and pick up another great value offer

Also consider these accommodations in or near South Normanton
3.5 of 5 bubbles 1,104 reviews
Ringwood Hall Hotel
Ringwood Hall Hotel
#1 of 1 in Brimington

Been to The Derbyshire Derby? Share your experiences!