“Average 3*”

Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Bunclody
cork,ireland
“Average 3*”
Reviewed 11 June 2014 via mobile

Stayed here for 2 midweek nights. Room old fashioned and shabby, leak marks on the ceiling, marks on the walls etc. Nice comfortable bed and good shower but bath towels around along time, off colour and frayed. Had a great meal on steak nite the first nite but breakfast really left the hotel down on the 2 mornings. One morning we had no toast till our breakfast was cold/eaten. Buffet selection was very poor and pastries were hard as if they were left out all night. Leisure centre is small but acceptable. I agree with alot of other posts that this hotel is a good 3 star but def doesn't compare to other great 4 star that we have stayed in.

Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank sk1980
john O, General Manager at The Millrace Hotel, responded to this review, 13 June 2014
Dear sk1980
Thank you for your review of your recent stay at The Millrace.
I look forward to welcoming you back to The Millrace Hotel in the future.
John O'Grady

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (131)
Dublin, Ireland
Reviewed 9 June 2014

There is plenty of free parking in the grounds of the Millrace and quite a few wheelchair parking spaces directly outside the front door. We were checked in promptly by a very cheery receptionist, and all the staff we met for the duration of our stay were of pleasant disposition. Our room was on the 2nd floor and it was rather disappointing to see that the décor was exactly the same as when I stayed here many years ago on a girls overnight. The rooms were fresh and new back then but not so last night. The corridors, and our room, were tired looking, and would benefit from a freshening up. The TV was very old fashioned and small, and reception wasn’t great. The choice of stations left a lot to be desired, and we couldn’t get UTV despite it being listed in the information guide in the room. We enjoyed a lovely meal in the hotel in the evening time. There’s a special deal of a 2-course meal with a bottle of house red or white wine for €59 per couple. This was excellent value and the meal was beautifully cooked and presented. We had to dine in the hotel bar as the Lady Lucy restaurant on the top floor wasn’t open. This was a pity as I remember there were beautiful views from it last time I stayed. There is a Leisure Centre in the hotel, but we didn’t have time to use it. The hotel was very quiet during the night and we had a good night’s sleep. Being on a ‘room only’ basis and we opted to have breakfast in a small café called Thirty, in Bunclody village. We had very nice and freshly made scrambled eggs and toast with tea and coffee for under €10 – very good value by any standards. We enjoyed our short break in the Millrace, but we certainly wouldn’t rank it as either 4* or luxurious and it didn’t have the ‘wow’ factor or sparkle that I remember it had the last time. The crazy paving which runs the whole length of the outside of the hotel needs serious attention too. It’s very nice paving but is badly broken in parts, there are pieces which rock and wobble when you walk on them, and it’s an accident waiting to happen. The hotel needs some internal refurb work done quickly before it descends into a shabby establishment.

3 Thank DubTwosome
Dear DubTwosome
Thank you for your review of your recent stay at The Millrace.
The Millrace is very recently under new ownership and we are working hard on addressing all the areas of the hotel that need attention. We have fixed the paving outside , new televisions have been ordered & the Lady Lucy restaurant will be re opening again in July .
If I can be of any assistance in the future please do not hesitate to contact me.
Thank you for choosing to stay at the Millrace.
Dungannon, United Kingdom
Reviewed 8 June 2014

Me and my fiancé stayed here for two night's, The staff were helpful enough and leisure facilities were good,.Communal area's were nice and modern but rooms were a but shabby and i think let the hotel down,Overall I wouldn't say it's a 4* hotel more like a 3*.

Dear Traceylou31
Thank you for taking the time to review your recent experience at The Millrace Hotel. The hotel is very recently under new ownership and we are in the midst of upgrading many areas of the hotel including those mentioned in your review.
Thank you for choosing to stay at the Millrace.
Kind Regards
Sunnyvale, California
Reviewed 4 June 2014

We stayed here after our trip down the 'Wicklow Way' as it was convenient to the stop for the bus to Dublin the next morning. We finished our walk in Clonegal and I called this hotel, which I had already booked, and the person on the phone was a bit brusque. After getting a taxi ride to the hotel and entering the lobby I understood why; there was one person working the front desk and phone, and she was definitely torn too many ways. They really could have used another body at least during that time. After check-in we went to the room, which was fine: big enough and clean. The best part of the room was the bed; my wife has back issues and the best mattresses for her are relatively firm memory-foam mattresses, and that is what we found.

During check-in we noted that Mondays were 2 for 1 steak night in the hotel's restaurant, and we just happened to arrive on a Monday. We availed ourselves of that, and the meals were very good, especially for the price. The downside of the Monday arrival is that the spa is closed on Monday. Bummer, as my wife had been hoping for some pampering to take away some of the kinks from the week of walking.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
john O, General Manager at The Millrace Hotel, responded to this review, 7 June 2014
Dear CyclistRick
Thank you for taking the time to write a review of your recent stay.
We have taken on board your comments and look forward to welcoming you back to The Millrace Hotel in the future. We hope you have an enjoyable summer.

Wicklow
Reviewed 3 June 2014

Stayed here recently and the hotel did not give us the wow factor the bed room is basic and was dusty could do with a good clean , we had food in the hotel bar and was terrible to say the least from the staff constantly mixing up the order and forgetting what we ordered i had the beef and was a very poor effort with just two tin slices of beef and two small scoops of potatoes when the desert finally arrived it was horrible we ordered banoffee pie and the bananas were black and must have been there foe two days at least . My Wife had a spa treatment and this was fantastic with a very friendly person giving her a facial and massage this was probable the best part of the trip

Room Tip: Book a spa and leave it at that unless there is drastic changes
Dear KCD1980
Thank you for your review of your recent stay at The Millrace Hotel. I am disappointed that you did not enjoy your stay with us.

I would welcome the opportunity to speak to you in person and would be grateful if you would contact me at 053 93 74900

Kind Regards

Dublin, Ireland
Reviewed 2 June 2014

I visited this hotel in April and although I had an okay stay it was mostly because of the staff.

The hotel was fine, my room was average size but clean. The leisure facilities were awful. We were greeted by this dreadful smell in the reception area, we almost had to cover our noses, and rushed into the locker area. It was fine, clean enough. The pool was absolutely tiny and there were kids in it with floats, so we had no room and left after 5 minutes.

We had spa treatments which were lovely. We were left waiting a while in the relaxation area, to the point if we weren't sure if somebody was going to come and get us. I went out and asked after about 15/20 minutes. I do think we were forgotten about to be honest.

Breakfast was included in the price and was fine. We were seated and given a menu, our order was taken quickly and our food brought out in a very reasonable time.

But the aspect I was most happy with was the staff. Upon arrival we were greeted with such warmth and friendliness, and the exact same on check out. We decided fairly late about getting spa treatments, and as the spa was closed the receptionist told us we would get a call in the morning to discuss treatment times. Instead, we got a call to our room from the therapist, who wasn't even working. It made such a difference, because we could plan the following day in advance. We really appreciated it.

There wasn't much in the immediate area to see or do, or even anywhere to eat, so I wouldn't be in a rush to return. But the rate we got was very reasonable, and the stay was worth the money we paid.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
Golden, Ireland
Reviewed 24 May 2014

Got offer on pigsback.ie for this hotel so got a very good deal. However, we did spend money in the restaurant and bar also which i'm sure is how they make their money back on such cheap rates for their rooms.

On arrival the hotel looks impressive with the stone front and glass building. The rooms however are very average. The restaurant was part of the bar which was actually very comfortable and they do a very good "wine and dine" offer for €59 for 2 includes a bottle of wine. The staff in the hotel were very nice and friendly and made you feel welcome.

Now what really let the place down was the Leisure facilities (they would be better off if they didnt even provide this facility and focused more on the above). I have to say it was one of the worst facilities I have seen in a hotel...very dreary and drab pool area that is so mouldy and scummy I really was disgusted how bad it was...so much so that I could not even use the showers after coming out of the pool (went straight to my room to shower) as they were so smelly and scummy, really grimmy. Nothing about the pool/leisure area was nice. Originally going into the leisure reception area it looked like a community hall that was badly organised and drab...very uninspiring. I didnt complain to the girl at reception as I felt that I wouldnt know where to start it was that bad.

The leisure centre really did leave a bad reflection for me on my stay at the hotel unfortunately!

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Marie O
Also consider these accommodations in or near Bunclody
The Riverside Park Hotel & Leisure Club
Clayton Whites Hotel
#5 of 5 in Wexford
Mount Wolseley Hotel, Spa & Golf Resort
Whitford House Hotel Health and Leisure Club

Been to The Millrace Hotel? Share your experiences!