“5th stay at millrace”
Review of The Millrace Hotel

The Millrace Hotel
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Bunclody
Reviewed 14 July 2014

w/end break sat ,sun , left Monday morning, Overall hotel getting tired ,staff great/friendly,
we had evening meal 2 steaks w/done, well mine was bloody, my wife's was medium, and hardly any chips, not much choice on menu,i think menu could be a bit more varied, and cooked properly, breakfast time was chaos, no plates, no bread, no eggs no orange juice, 2 staff serving everyone, they had to much to do, As this was our 5th stay we were very disappointed,
and could not recommend this hotel in its present stage, we hope that improvements are made to bring this good hotel back to standard.

Room Tip: 3rd floor south side.
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
3  Thank seanmurdoch
john O, General Manager at The Millrace Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 17 July 2014

Dear sean murdoch
Thank you for completing a review following your recent stay with us. I am really disappointed to learn you were not happy with aspects of the Hotel. My team and I have addressed your concerns and can assure you we are continuously working on consistency of our standards throughout.
Thank you also for your kind comments in relation to the staff. We look forward to welcoming you back to the Hotel on your next visit to Bunclody. I have emailed you directly .

Reviewed 13 July 2014

Was looking forward to our family weekend away in the millrace hotel but I have to say I left very disappointed. Rooms really need a revamp, dull and dreary but nice bathrooms. Had a meal included in package which we had on Friday night, starter ok but I got a well done sirloin steak which was that burnt the fat was rock hard, couldn't eat it. Waitress just took it away no questions asked. Decided to give it another go on Saturday night so we went for the set menu which states it includes a bottle of house wine. What we were given was 2 small bottles, but food was better. Then I Woke up at 3.30 in the morning and there was no power in our room, didn't ring reception as I didn't want kids waking up and freaking out. When I did go to reception all I was told is " I'll send someone up" no apology of any sort. And both mornings we were told we had to wait in the lobby for a table for breakfast when we could clearly see available tables. So let down by this so called 4 star, don't feel like I was on a break at all.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Michelle C

Dear Michelle C
Thank you for completing a review following your recent stay with us. I am disappointed and apologise that there were some aspects of your stay you were not happy with. Your feedback is important to us and we have since reviewed our Dinner Menu and our Kids Menu to meet guest expectations in the future. I have emailed you directly on trip Advisor .

Reviewed 8 July 2014 via mobile

Stayed for 3 night b and b with one dinner included. As title says the staff are very friendly and do really try hard but the do need training and direction!
We had the steak offer on the monday night which at first glance seemed like a great offer( and could easily be!) We upgraded our meal and got starters and desserts. Firstly my wife nearly choked on the sauce on the wings! It was horrible. My ceaser was ok.
Steaks arrived, with no cutlerly, presented ok but mine was cold and off color! Sent it back to be heated, no big issue. At this stage the manager came our way but turned right back when seen my plate was gone, didnt seem to want to know!
When steak came back i couldnt eat it, it was rubber!
The desserts where very poor quailty
Which where not homemade!
When i was paying for the meal i spoke with the waitress about my issues and she spoke with the manager on duty but again it was like he didnt want to know as he never approched me!
We where very dissapointed with our experince, this place could easliy be a very strong four star but at present is an average 3 star!
Just to note, i am in the industry and was looking forward to spend 3 enjoyable days within the hotel, however, at present i couldnt recomend it to anyone, i really hope the new managment and owners can turn it around.

• Stayed: July 2014
1  Thank JOHNB2007Ireland

Dear JohnB2007IRELAND
Thank you for posting a review following your recent trip to Bunclody. I was very disappointed to read your review and your recollection of your experience in the Hotel. We will certainly take your comments on board and have addressed many of the issues you have raised already.I have called you on a number of occasions already and would be grateful if you would contact me directly on 053 9375100

Reviewed 24 June 2014

Stayed in The Millrace for two weekend nights. We chose this hotel as a base for spending the weekend in Wexford.
What we liked: 1)The reception was very friendly and efficient. 2)We got a suite which was a nice surprise as it gave us plenty of room for two adults and two children. 3)The bar staff were friendly as were the waiting staff. 4)The food was good and reasonably priced.
What we didn’t like: 1) The Swimming Pool / Sauna was not as nice as most other hotels we stayed at. We just used this once. 2) There’s very little to do in Bunclody.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank eobyrne
john O, General Manager at The Millrace Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 28 June 2014

Dear eobyrne
Thank you for your review. I am delighted you enjoyed your stay and will pass on your comments to the team We are currently refurbishing areas in our Leisure centre so please accept my apologies for any inconvenience caused.
I look forward to seeing you again soon.
Have a nice summer
Kind regards
General manager

Reviewed 22 June 2014

This was the second time we visited - this time for a midweek spa break. Our room faced the back of the hotel and was quiet. The bed was comfortable and there were soft towels in the large bathroom. The room was clean and there was no problem getting extra tea and milk for the room. There is a older type television and no iron in the room. The hotel is close to town and the golf course. The staff are excellent and the onsite bar/restaurant is great with outdoor seating. We will go back to Millrace again a third time!

Room Tip: Room at the back of the hotel quiet (but no view to speak of).
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Maura Rose M

Dear Tourist Rose
Thank you for your review. I am delighted you enjoyed your stay and I will pass on your comments to the team. Have a great summer.

Reviewed 21 June 2014 via mobile

Visited this hotel on a motorcycle trip with a group of friends. Hotel is on a lovely setting and well located in the centre of Bunclody. Receptionist was friendly when booking in and was chatty. My room was on the third floor and the lifts were centrally located. Room was a very spacious single room with en suite. The weather on the day was extremely warm and after 200 or so kms I decided to have a cold shower to cool down. The shower was lovely and powerful. Unfortunately I could not regulate the temp so a warm shower was had.
Breakfast the following morning was decent with cereal and a fry up available in a buffet. The breakfast was quickly cleared up at 10 am.

That evening a 3 course meal was had in the dining room. Sirloin steak medium-rare was ordered but a medium-well produced. The order was confused with another person at the table. Also the chip portion with the dinner was horrific with only a tiny bowel being produced. The desert was death by chocolate was a very dry brownie, hard and cold. Service at dinner was extremely slow and hap hazard.

A few pints were had in the hotel and price of a large cider was 5.40. The residents bar stayed open late and no rush was put on us to leave.

Check out on the final day was hassle free and no pressure to leave was put on any patron.

To finish, nice hotel but if I was staying here again I'd eat elsewhere

Stayed: June 2014, travelled with friends

Dear ConoFJR
Thank you for your review. I am delighted you enjoyed your stay . I look forward to seeing you again soon.

Reviewed 20 June 2014

The very friendly staff made this trip pleasant and the food was very good indeed - we had the dinner menu the first evening and couldnt fault it - we ate here again the next evening and our steaks and my fish were superb - probably the lightest batter I have even had on deep fried fish. Excellent work by a chef who knows how to cook fresh fish. The breakfast was very good and we really enjoyed our stay here - especially the brilliant golf course across the road. If you play golf do not miss this course it will test your skills and reward good shots. Enjoy

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with friends
john O, General Manager at The Millrace Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 21 June 2014

Dear CRC55
Thank you for your review of your stay at The Millrace. I am delighted you enjoyed your experience especially our food and the golf ! I look forward to welcoming you back in the near future and will pass on your kind words to the Millrace Team.
Have a great Summer !
John O'Grady

Also consider these accommodations in or near Bunclody
The Riverside Park Hotel & Leisure Club
Maldron Hotel Wexford
Maldron Hotel Wexford
#1 of 1 in Barntown
Whitford House Hotel Health and Leisure Club

Been to The Millrace Hotel? Share your experiences!