“Not A Golfer”
Review of The Millrace Hotel

The Millrace Hotel
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Bunclody
Reviewed 8 August 2014

Did not think much of this hotel.... First the check in time is so late 4pm and rooms not ready .
Rooms poor and mean... my room had the curtains half off.... hair dryer not working just hanging there... shower impossible to turn off

Leisure centre very poor built on the cheap. Food ok but service terrible , the staff were like as if they were training for a marathon but only one girl that knew her job.the men were all show but no show... promised me a desert menu but never got it.

This hotel is depending on tourist... I know they do well on golfers but we pay as well to stay in decent hotels. while there a guest said he was just after coming off the ferry and had requested a check in for 1.30, the reply he got we cant promise your room to be ready.... now I had checked out of my room at 9.20 and so had 6 more rooms vacated... so how come a room is not ready until after 4..... staff are easy to be got casual or part time or ay to day...

Wont be in a hurry back....

Room Tip: Play Golf You Might Like IT.
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled with friends
2  Thank monica227
AnnieEnright, Front Office Manager at The Millrace Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 15 August 2014

Dear Monica227

I was extremely disappointed to read your feedback.

I do apologise that your room was not ready for you to check into on arrival and the room was not to your satisfaction. We are currently in the process of refurbishing a number of areas in the Hotel and I will ensure our maintenance team look at the points you have raised.

With regards to service again this is something that we have great pride in but have failed on this occasion.

I do hope that we will see you again and that we have the opportunity to put things right for you, please do let us know if you are planning a trip to Bunclody.

Reviewed 6 August 2014

Recently had an overnight at this hotel. Found the staff very attentive and the food really good. Breakfast was nice with a good choice available. We were upgraded to a suite which was very comfortable. If you like walking, across the road there is a lovely walk up to the golfcourse or take a stroll around the sleepy town. All in all very relaxed and welcoming
Helen and Liam

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Helen T

Dear Helen & Liam

Thank you for taking the time to write your review.

I am delighted you enjoyed your stay and dining experience with us and I have passed your nice comments onto our staff Members and Head Chef

Our suites are perfect for a special occasion or just to treat yourself but we are delighted on this occasion we could treat you.

We look forward to welcoming you back to the Millrace Hotel soon.

Reviewed 30 July 2014

i stayed in the hotel around 3 to 4 weeks ago. im not going to go on about how good the hotel is because im is an excellent hotel with very kind staff and good facilites. the reason i am writing this review is because during my staff i met a young accomadtion worker by the name of jamie. i have to say this young chap was the best groomed and best mannered chap i have came across in my time of staying in hotels. he done his upmost to make my stay enjoyable her told me all the great attractions nearby that i could go to visit and he was there if i had a problem. i must say that this young boy made my stay he put a smile on a 65 year old golfer's face. i gave him a tenner tip after he helped me with my bags when i was arriving, but later that day i found a tenner on my floor when i came back to my room along with a note saying "dear sir, thank you for your kind tip but i get paid every week and there is someone in the world that needs this money more than me thank you again regards jamie". these are the type of staff that every hotel needs and i must say he is a credit to your hotel and i will be back not only for his kind service but for the brilliant service all other members of staff and the hotel provided for me

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled solo
1  Thank oldgolfer1
AnnieEnright, Front Office Manager at The Millrace Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 6 August 2014

Dear oldgolfer1

Thank you so much for taking the time to place your review.

We have excellent staff here at the Millrace Hotel and I am only delighted to hear of Jamie’s kind gesture in return of your own.

I have also passed your kind words onto the owners of the hotel and they are very proud that one of their staff members could be so thoughtful and will ensure Jamie is also made aware of this.

Thank you again and we do hope we get to welcoming you back to the Hotel soon

Reviewed 28 July 2014 via mobile

We ate here for a celebratory birthday. On Monday nights there is a steak and chips offer for €25 for 2, which is obviously excellent value. There was a group if us and we all ordered steak l, and of course everyone wanted their steak cooked differently. I don't know if it was the kitchen or the waiting staff but all of our steaks were not cooked to our liking and the waiting staff didn't seem to know which steak they were serving to whom.

The dining area was very busy, the steak offer must have been drawing in the crowd. The waiting staff were under pressure as there was not enough people on duty, as a result they were not able to provide a service of the quality one would expect from a hotel. We had to ask for menus, then we had to ask to order. We requested a wine menu and had to ask 3 time to order wide from it. When our plates were cleared we were not offered a dessert menu and had to wait 20 mins to catch the attention of a waiter to see the menu, the waiter never came back to see if we wanted to order dessert.
There just wasn't enough staff on and this was evident from the service.

Although the €25 for 2 steaks seems like excellent value, it's just not worth it when the food is not cooked as ordered and you have to chase the staff for service.

Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Cullen101

Dear Cullen101

Thank you for taking the time to place your review.

Our Monday Night Steak night is a fantastic offer and we are delighted to say is very popular with all our residents and local guests.

Our apologies that your celebratory birthday dinner was not to the standard we expect or hope to deliver at the Millrace Hotel. I have passed your comments onto our Head Chef and also our Bistro Manager

I do hope that you will give our Steak Night or our Fajita Night on a Tuesday another chance and we look forward to hopefully welcoming you back in the not too distant future

Reviewed 28 July 2014

We recently stayed for two nights with two of our young children on arrival we were greeted with a warm reception, we booked a suite and we were extremely happy with the room we were given the only one thing that let the room down was there was only a small window ( the heat was unbearable at night) .The best qualities of the hotel that I must mention are the reception staff especially Callie who was extremely helpful with any questions we had,Katie and the team who worked in the kids club where fantastic and really made our daughters holiday.The staff in the leisure centre were also extremely friendly the last person I would like to praise for their extreme professionalism is Chris who worked behind the bar he was extremely over stretched as the bar was so busy on the second night of our stay as there was a function in one of the rooms yet he still managed to take our food order and be extremely polite he was a gentleman to deal with. The problems we encountered was waiting staff who look at you as they walk past you numberous times not asking once if you are ok and if they could help you and when you go to ask them a question they almost run by you, this is not acceptable in a hotel industry especially when you are the only person standing there at the time. I was not impressed by a conversation I briefly had with a lady who I later found out to be the person who is over the food and beverage section of the hotel as to the way I was spoken to when I made a complaint about the lack of service. I would like to end this on a good note that the chefs are amazing and the food was fantastic just the lack of service really let the hotel down badly

• Stayed: July 2014
1  Thank Dkerrigan1

Dear Dkerrigan

Thank you for taking the time to place your review.

We are delighted that overall you enjoyed your stay with us and I have passed on your kind remarks to Carrie, Chris, Katie and the team in the Kids Club & Leisure Centre.

We have also noted your comments with regards to the service you received in the Bistro and this is currently being dealt with.

I do hope we get the opportunity to welcome you and your family back to the Millrace Hotel in the future.

Reviewed 27 July 2014 via mobile

Just back from an overnight stay in this hotel. Lovely from the outside & inside didn't disappoint either.
Nice friendly receptionist upon check in, told us about the leisure centre & spa, but as we only had 1 night here we did not have time for either.
Dinner was very nice and quiet a busy restaurant, pleasant if not a bit overworked girl was our waitress for the night, could have done with more staff on duty.
Breakfast was self service buffet & plenty to choose from, fresh fruit, cereal, juice, toast & hot food.
Bedroom was big enough with big comfortable bed & nice clean bathroom.
Overall a pleasant stay in a lovely hotel & would recommend it .

• Stayed: July 2014
1  Thank davesbirdDublin

Dear davesbirddublin

Thank you for your lovely comments on your recent stay with us at The Millrace Hotel. I am delighted you enjoyed your break with us and I have passed your comments onto the Team.

We look forward to welcoming you back to The Millrace Hotel in the near future.

Reviewed 21 July 2014

I called here for dinner last May and was very disappointed, the service was slow, the food was poor quality. Besides that I decided to called in again after a round of golf last week and was pleasantly surprised with with how the hotel had changed. There was friendly efficient staff, we received excellent grub and we all agreed it was incredible value. I would now highly recommend it to everyone. Keep up the good work!

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank PeterKK
john O, General Manager at The Millrace Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 22 July 2014

Dear PeterKK
Thank you for your your review , I am delighted you returned after your initial poor experience.
I will pass on your kind comments to the team and I look forward to welcoming you back to the Millrace Hotel again soon.
Have a great Summer
Kind Regards
John O'Grady

Also consider these accommodations in or near Bunclody
Mount Wolseley Hotel, Spa & Golf Resort
Whitford House Hotel Health and Leisure Club
Maldron Hotel Wexford
Maldron Hotel Wexford
#1 of 1 in Barntown

Been to The Millrace Hotel? Share your experiences!