“basic hotel but Spa is EXCELLENT, a hidden gem.”
Review of The Millrace Hotel

The Millrace Hotel
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Bunclody
Naas, Ireland
“basic hotel but Spa is EXCELLENT, a hidden gem.”
Reviewed 18 August 2014

Great deal offered for this generic hotel. Food, rooms and bar, Pool all acceptable and average, But the the Spa deserves all the credit. I am only surprised the wall wasn't covered in awards for this excellently run and luxurious spa. Skip any pool use as its the main pool on a different floor which could well be busy with children and other guests/ gym users.The basic poolside jacuzzi not worth the waddle down in your robe! My parents and sister and I had prebooked treaments. We all thoroughly enjoyed ours. The two therapists were attentive relaxed and knowledgable, I was pleased to learn that my excellent massage was provided by the same therapist that also managed the Spa. (ask for Sianne) So professional yet down to earth.My elderly parents were treated so well by both therapists, with an instinctivley caring attitude. My parents even booked additional treatments. The therapist that treated my mam, who has a cancer diagnosis actually gave mam a wonderful Reflexology treatment and coincidentally had trained in the US to give cancer care massage, which my mam vowed to try next time!.Ive never heard of that being offered before and the Hotel should be shouting about their Spa!! I highly recommend a beautiful walk up the long avenue (1km) to the Golf course directly across road from hotel.

Room Tip: Ask for room away from Kitchen air condition/ generator, not sure what noise was but heard loudly in...
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
Lorraine G, Manager at The Millrace Hotel, responded to this review, 28 August 2014
Dear thatbyrneone

Thank you for taking the time to write your review and I am delighted to read your very positive comments on our Danu Spa.

Both Saraan and Laura were delighted with your kind words and they also both remarked on what lovely guests you all were during your time in the spa.

We are especially proud of the fact you mum thoroughly enjoyed her time in the spa and that we were able to offer a wide range of treatments that were suitable considering the course of treatment that had been in place.

We would like to wish the family all the best for the new arrival coming to the family and we look forward to welcoming you back to the Millrace Hotel for another Break in the future.

Rooms Division Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (131)
Reviewed 12 August 2014

Just back from a weekend stay and its a lovely place, food was 5star and the staff excellent all in all a fab time. Would highly recommend this hotel to anyone, it was also very good value for money also.

Room Tip: We had a back room so anything on the first floor was fine.
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
Lorraine G, Front Office Manager at The Millrace Hotel, responded to this review, 21 August 2014
Dear 18 Alan

Thank you for your lovely comments and we are delighted you enjoyed your stay with us at The Millrace Hotel.

We are very happy to hear your comments regarding the food as we have made some changes to our menu and it is great to see they are going down well.

I look forward to welcoming you back to the Hotel hopefully in the not too distant future

Reviewed 12 August 2014

This hotel feels like a closed and abandoned hotel - eerily quite, I can't put my finger on it. Staff are few and far between, although quietly polite, there is NO interaction with customers. Hotel is devoid of character which only adds to that 'closed' feeling. Food was in fairness very nice, took ages to arrive. Glass from the fridge for the wine, nice touch but the diet coke was actually flat.

3 Thank myjellybean
Dear mrjellybean

Thank you for taken the time to place your review.

We are delighted to say we have enjoyed a very full hotel on most nights of the summer and I am sorry that you did not feel this during your stay with us.

My apologies that the mineral you received was flat and I do hope this was replaced for you when mentioned to a member of our team.

Thank you for your comments and I do hope to welcome you back to the Hotel in the future.

Rooms Division Manager

Travellers are raving about these Bunclody hotels

Reviewed 11 August 2014

Myself and husband stayed here the weekend of Friday 8th and Sat 9th Aug just gone. The hotel looked nice from the outside and when we went in it was pleasant enough. We got there at 4 (as check in is at 4) and were told that our room was not ready it would be another ten minutes and that we should go into the bar and have a drink. Eh hello why should we have to go into the bar and have a drink and spend money because you didn't have our room ready in time??? Very bad start and very un professional from a 4 star hotel. Anyway we waited in the lobby and the room was ready in ten minutes. Was not impressed with the room at all-again it would be fine if it was a 2 or 3 star you get what you pay for but it most definitely was not a 4 star but it was 4 star price. Our weekend cost us 220euros and this did not include breakfast! I would be definitely expect a nicer room and hotel for the money we paid. Anyway the bed was very disappointing, it was two single beds pushed together. I couldn't believe it. How are you to share a bed with someone if there is a big gap in the middle! There was no light in the middle of the room. There was a lamp either side of the bed but we needed a light to light up the whole room. I just couldn't believe the most basic things that were not found in a 4 star????!!!! There was ONE (yes ONE!) towel each. The shower was impossible to turn off it was so stiff. When I say the walls were paper thin I mean PAPER thin. We were kept awake both nights first by the band that was just below us-they may as well have been playing in our room and then by the couple next door who decided to have "fun" at all hours and our room felt like it was being hit by an earthquake. I wouldn't even think they realised how loud they were its just that the walls are paper thin! So no sleep either nights! I didn't visit the spa or leisure centre so I cannot comment on them. I didn't visit the restaurant or bar for food either as hotel wanted 40 euro for our breakfast for both mornings. I wouldn't spend another penny in the hotel as I feel we were over charged for a very poor room with a lot of noise from every direction. I think you should seriously consider dropping a star or two off your hotel because seriously 4 star is a joke. If I had of paid 49euro a night I would have just said well sure what do you expect for that money but for the price charged and the amount of stars it is supposed to be It was a rip off. Didn't feel like I had a break to be honest. I am not one of these people who would moan about everything and I don't expect the ritz but I do expect what I pay for. Would not return if I got a free weekend.

Room Tip: Ask to be as far away from lounge where band is playing. Ask for a room with no one near you as you...
9 Thank Shortnsimple
AnnieEnright, Front Office Manager at The Millrace Hotel, responded to this review, 15 August 2014
Dear Shortnsimple

I am very sorry to read your review of the Millrace Hotel.

I will be speaking to the Front Office Team, Housekeeping & Maintenance on the points that you have raised in your review and I would hope that you would return to the Millrace Hotel in the future to allow us to rectify the issues and restore your faith in the Hotel.

I would appreciate if you are back in the Bunclody area that you give myself a call on 053 93 75 100 and I will ensure your return stay is a very different one to the above.

Reviewed 8 August 2014

Did not think much of this hotel.... First the check in time is so late 4pm and rooms not ready .
Rooms poor and mean... my room had the curtains half off.... hair dryer not working just hanging there... shower impossible to turn off

Leisure centre very poor built on the cheap. Food ok but service terrible , the staff were like as if they were training for a marathon but only one girl that knew her job.the men were all show but no show... promised me a desert menu but never got it.

This hotel is depending on tourist... I know they do well on golfers but we pay as well to stay in decent hotels. while there a guest said he was just after coming off the ferry and had requested a check in for 1.30, the reply he got we cant promise your room to be ready.... now I had checked out of my room at 9.20 and so had 6 more rooms vacated... so how come a room is not ready until after 4..... staff are easy to be got casual or part time or ay to day...

Wont be in a hurry back....

Room Tip: Play Golf You Might Like IT.
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled with friends
2 Thank monica227
Dear Monica227

I was extremely disappointed to read your feedback.

I do apologise that your room was not ready for you to check into on arrival and the room was not to your satisfaction. We are currently in the process of refurbishing a number of areas in the Hotel and I will ensure our maintenance team look at the points you have raised.

With regards to service again this is something that we have great pride in but have failed on this occasion.

I do hope that we will see you again and that we have the opportunity to put things right for you, please do let us know if you are planning a trip to Bunclody.

Reviewed 6 August 2014

Recently had an overnight at this hotel. Found the staff very attentive and the food really good. Breakfast was nice with a good choice available. We were upgraded to a suite which was very comfortable. If you like walking, across the road there is a lovely walk up to the golfcourse or take a stroll around the sleepy town. All in all very relaxed and welcoming
Helen and Liam

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Helen T
Dear Helen & Liam

Thank you for taking the time to write your review.

I am delighted you enjoyed your stay and dining experience with us and I have passed your nice comments onto our staff Members and Head Chef

Our suites are perfect for a special occasion or just to treat yourself but we are delighted on this occasion we could treat you.

We look forward to welcoming you back to the Millrace Hotel soon.

Reviewed 30 July 2014

i stayed in the hotel around 3 to 4 weeks ago. im not going to go on about how good the hotel is because im is an excellent hotel with very kind staff and good facilites. the reason i am writing this review is because during my staff i met a young accomadtion worker by the name of jamie. i have to say this young chap was the best groomed and best mannered chap i have came across in my time of staying in hotels. he done his upmost to make my stay enjoyable her told me all the great attractions nearby that i could go to visit and he was there if i had a problem. i must say that this young boy made my stay he put a smile on a 65 year old golfer's face. i gave him a tenner tip after he helped me with my bags when i was arriving, but later that day i found a tenner on my floor when i came back to my room along with a note saying "dear sir, thank you for your kind tip but i get paid every week and there is someone in the world that needs this money more than me thank you again regards jamie". these are the type of staff that every hotel needs and i must say he is a credit to your hotel and i will be back not only for his kind service but for the brilliant service all other members of staff and the hotel provided for me

• Stayed June 2014, travelled solo
1 Thank oldgolfer1
AnnieEnright, Front Office Manager at The Millrace Hotel, responded to this review, 6 August 2014
Dear oldgolfer1

Thank you so much for taking the time to place your review.

We have excellent staff here at the Millrace Hotel and I am only delighted to hear of Jamie’s kind gesture in return of your own.

I have also passed your kind words onto the owners of the hotel and they are very proud that one of their staff members could be so thoughtful and will ensure Jamie is also made aware of this.

Thank you again and we do hope we get to welcoming you back to the Hotel soon

Rooms Division Manager
Also consider these accommodations in or near Bunclody
The Riverside Park Hotel & Leisure Club
Mount Wolseley Hotel, Spa & Golf Resort
Clayton Whites Hotel
Clayton Whites Hotel
#5 of 5 in Wexford

Been to The Millrace Hotel? Share your experiences!