“5 star hospitality and services at reasonable good deal”
Review of Liquid Dumaguete

and 1 more site!
Liquid Dumaguete
Ranked #5 of 15 Hotels in Dauin
“5 star hospitality and services at reasonable good deal”
Reviewed 18 June 2012

What makes Liquid stand out of the crawd of millions of dive shops in the Philippines is definitely Zeo's instant response to queries and request. Zeo and Tim are the super friendly and responsive owners. I was choosing among different locations the Phil by contacting dive shops of different areas: Dumaguette, Anilao, PG. A lot of them ended up in vain and irresponsive, but Zeo was the one who would reply you within 24hours and reponded to all concerns and queries. This was what caught my attention and would like to try them out.

Arrived there early in the morning by a red-eye flight. The dive shop was located by the duin coast, which can only be reach by arranged van. The ride to the resort was bumpy and rough, which was the only downside. But we were immediately impressed by the nice simple bamboo huts with beach front sea view once we get to the resort, which gave us the sense of nature that we longed for. I was arranged for my first dive right after the flight at 9am. I was not into Muck diving until I have experienced it here in dumaguete. The diversity and richness of bizarre creatures have completely blown my mind off. Ornate Gost Pipefish, Robust Ghost Pipefish, Flying Gunard, Snake Eel, Moray, Sting Rays, Nudis, and of course my Favorite, FLAMBOYANT CUTTLEFISH, and I did not only see 1, I met a family of 3 at one time at malaplad north. I basically spent half of my dive following them and observing their bizarre movement and vibrant color changing. I knew that I already have a wonderful trip at that specific moment. In fact, dumaguete has so much more to offer, Sea Snake, Sea Turtle, Schools of Barracuda were something that I didnt expect to see before this trip on muck diving. Dwarf Cuttlefish and diver's long time favorite FROGFISH, I've met a handful of them throughout the trip : ). Diving here is insanely fun and you would be surprised everytime you hop in the water. I was attacked by big Triggerfish and Mantis. 12 dives in 3 days. Insane fun and no 1 dive disappointment. Apo Island was great.

Ok, let's go back to the dive shop itself, nice well maintained gears, great dive master Alf and dive instructors Jim and Yanick, helpful and friendly staffs, Nes, Lovely, and the boatmans, amazingly funny and helpful owners, Zeo and Tim who played Wii and drinking games with their guests and make them feel like home (mostly get them drunk), and of course, their lovely children. And even though you can barely get out to the city for a dinner or lunch as the dive shop is kinda remote, you would never have to worry about food as Liquid has a good chef who makes good food. I can still taste the SMORES : P

Afterall, a very nice and simple dive shop which make simplicity to perfection. Zeo was amazing in a way to offer us a low-season budget deal, which allowed us to have a fabulous holiday with 5 star hospitality and services at reasonable good deal.

Thanks Zeo and Tim. U are amazing, keep up the good work ; )

Room Tip: u can always ask for a beach front sea view room. I stayed in a no-AC room, and it was perfectly fin...
  • Stayed June 2012, travelled with friends

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (57)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Polish first
Powell River, Canada
Reviewed 12 June 2012

I rocked up to Liquid the end of May '12 & signed up for their fantastic low season offers. My introduction to the resort was a complimentary beach BBQ put on by one of the staff who was leaving. The 'home away from home' feeling was set from that point till the day I departed. Expat owners (Zoe & Tim) are fantastic, as was my DI Jim and the entire local staff. Every meal I had was luscious & plentiful. Their concept of 'family' dinners together every nite was a great way to socialize, especially for me being solo. The beach in front of the resort is lacking but that is compensated with a great swimming pool/lounge area behind the cottages. Their chillout area adjacent to the restaurant was a superb place to read/study, browse the internet, watch movies, play their in-house Wi or simply enjoy the sea breezes. Liquid also offers a great, cheap happy hour everyday that usually results in drunken Jenga or better yet, late nites of listening to whatever tunes you want on the stereo system.

The cottages are spacious and detached from one another. There is no A/C but it's not necessary when you have a fan and daily winds. The showers are brilliant as the water comes from the nearby hot spring, clean & warm. You also get your own private veranda which always comes in handy. Even the WIFI connection stretches all the way to your bed...awesome!

As for the diving...it is freakin' awesome. Their setup is a first class system that PADI would be proud of. Extremely professional & provide very good gear. The shore dives that are close to the resort are abundant, diverse and good. But at Liquid, it's all about Apo Island. This is by far the best diving I have experienced in the Philippines & SE Asia. That is saying a lot considering my OWD course was done in El Nido.

If you're looking for an excellent, good value diving holiday that is hosted by some of the friendliest people you'll ever meet, then look no further...Liquid Dumaguete exceeds every requirement.

Room Tip: Cottages 6, 7 & 8 are nearest the beach with uninterrupted sea views.
  • Stayed June 2012, travelled solo
Newcastle, Australia
Reviewed 22 May 2012

Liquid transformed us to another place totally different to any other holiday that we have ever experienced and once there we could see absolutely no reason for anyone wanting to leave except the shortfall of finances, work committments or in our case, as retirees, family.

It's a small resort, just 8 cottages at this point of time, with plans to add a few more. Cottages are quite spacious and very comfortable, those looking directly out onto the sea perhaps the nicest of all. Hot water from natural springs so no showering in the cold. For the price, these were among the best value "beach-hut" style accommodations - you could easily pay double elsewhere for something far more inferior.

The centre of the resort is the lodge, which encompasses bar, restaurant, chill out area and dive shop, and overlooks the small but lovely swimming pool. Breakfasts are good, lunches vary every day and generally are light and tasty, and dinner is served "family style", everyone sitting down to eat together round a large table. For people travelling solo, or if you want to get to know your fellow guests, this really is a great idea and one which helps to make Liquid one of the friendliest places that we have visited in a long while.

The diving was absolutely fabulous and variable! Dive trips include Apo, Sumilon & Siquijor Islands, and of course, muck diving along the Dauin Coast and directly off the resort's beach on their own house reef is also offered daily. The DMs' professionalism and a reassuring response for those less experienced was evident at all times. Apo Island provided the best coral/wall diving we have ever experienced, plus exhiliarating drift dives. It's a great variety of dive sites, you can easily dive 3 dives a day for a whole week and not have seen all the dive sites around.
The diveshop operates very well, all the equipment is quite new and the staff takes care of everything. The boxes with your equipment are all prepared in the morning and the dive gear is washed and stored in the afternoon. So nothing to worry about at all while you're enjoying your holiday. .
Liquid is a true advocate for scuba divers as well as an ambassadors for all the aspirations of Padi. I recommend Liquid to anyone and everyone. Tim and Zoe, the owners, could not be more helpful or welcoming.
Why don't you find out for yourself?

Doug & Robyn

• Stayed May 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Robynschmidt
Seoul, Korea
Reviewed 8 May 2012

I went to Liquid in April 2012 planning to stay for 3-4 days, ended up staying 8 days (and missing meeting up with friends on Cebu). Simply, once I was there I could see absolutely no reason to leave.

It's a small resort, just 8 cottages at time of writing, though I think there are plans to add a few more. Cottages are quite spacious and very comfortable, those looking directly out onto the sea perhaps the nicest of all. Hot water from natural springs so no showering in the cold. For the price, these were among the best value "beach-hut" style accommodations I've ever stayed in - you could easily pay double elsewhere for something inferior.

The centre of the resort is the lodge, which encompasses bar, restaurant, chill out area and dive shop, and overlooks the small but lovely swimming pool. Breakfasts are good, lunches vary every day and generally are light and tasty, and dinner is served "family style", everyone sitting down to eat together round a large table. For those like me travelling solo, or if you want to get to know your fellow guests, this really was a great idea and one which helps to make Liquid one of the friendliest places that I have visited in a long while.

As for the diving it was top notch, my two trips to Apo Island were a real highlight of my trip to the Visayas. I did my Advanced Open Water course here with DM Gui and it was excellent, all the dive staff are professional and I felt very at ease. In fact, the staff generally were very friendly, even when you asked them to make a very long and complicated cocktail for the fourth time in one evening... which, if you taste their mojitos, you will do, trust me!

For the purposes of balance I am trying to think of constructive criticisms of Liquid. It's a little far from Dumaguete so while you can certainly go there for dinner, it's not really practical to pop into town for a quick visit. The coffee could be better, though that's true in many parts of the Philippines. And Gui's effort at making a pina colada was distinctly dodgy. That's really about it.

I'll stop because it sounds like I'm gushing, suffice to say I recommend Liquid to anyone and everyone. Tim and Zoe, the owners, could not be more helpful or welcoming. Go!

Room Tip: As far as I saw, all the cottages were very similar - ask for one of the seaview huts, they are the...
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled solo
2 Thank AndyH74
Den Haag
Reviewed 1 May 2012

In one word my stay in Liquid was simply fantastic! I came to Liquid in February to do my Divemaster Traineeship in 5 weeks, but ended up staying for 2,5 months. The atmosphere in this resort is amazing, mostly because of the great people that work here, but also because the guests that come up here are always in for a laugh. The family style dinners are a great concept, as a single traveler myself I loved this. It means that you never have to eat dinner by yourself and you always end up having a good conversation (of course mainly about diving). The food is great, chef Pedi is amazing. Western food, Asian food, it's all great. Every night the dinner is set menu, but they always whip up something delicious. If you're a vegetarian, they will cook you something different.

Liquid works because it's a small resort with just 8 rooms which makes it very nice to be around. It's far away enough from the road to have no traffic noise at all, but still it's quite easy to get to the markets of Dauin and Bacong or to Dumaguete town. The only sounds you'll hear at night are the rolling waves and the occasional gecko.

The diveshop operates very well, all the equipment is quite new and the staff takes care of everything. The boxes with your equipment are all prepared in the morning and the dive gear is washed and stored in the afternoon. So nothing to worry about at all while you're enjoying your holiday. They do dive trips to Apo, Sumilon & Siquijor Island. And of course muck diving at Dauin Coast is also offered daily. It's a great variety of dive sites, you can easily dive 3 dives a day for a whole week and not have seen all the dive sites around. Even after 2,5 months I didn't feel bored at all. Liquid can arrange day trips to Twin Lakes, the waterfalls or motorbike rental as well.

If you're looking for great dives, a good dive training or just a nice time to relax, this is definitely the place to go. The Divemaster Course was great, excellent instructors and divemasters to teach you all about the business of diving.

Can't say enough good things about Liquid. I've been diving in many countries in Asia and Liquid is by far my favourite place to be. I wish them well and hope business will keep up like the way it has been for the past months.

Tim, Zoe and the rest of the staff: thank you for a very memorable stay, hope to return soon!

Room Tip: Rooms 1 & 8 are great for the view of the ocean.
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled solo
1 Thank DenHaag1988
Reviewed 30 April 2012 via mobile

Had one of my best dives ever with Liquid. Love love love the natural hot spring shower in our own room....Food is wonderful!, Zoe,Tim and the staffs are amazingly friendly and helpful. We love the fact that all the huts have a seaview.

For those of you who loves muck diving, make sure to get DM Alfred as your guide..he is brilliant and has THE EYE for those teeny weeny critters.

• Stayed April 2012
1 Thank siQ-gracy
Seattle, Washington, United States
Reviewed 20 April 2012

From the moment we arrived Zoe and Tim and their wonderful staff took great care of us. They call it a budget accomodation but you are treated special. The staff are always there to help with anything you may need. And if they don't have it ...they will do what they can to help you get it. Hot water showers feel great. Dinners are a family affair where you all sit down together to enjoy a relaxing meal. And then there is the diving...really great. You really don't have to lift a finger they get your gear ready for you and wash it when your done. We are probably the most persnickety customers and we really enjoyed our time there and would not hesitate to return. You won't be sorry if you choose Liquid for your holiday in Dumaguete.

Room Tip: We like the rooms closest to the beach they get more ocean breezes we stayed in room 1
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank Susan J
Also consider these accommodations in or near Dauin
Mike's Dauin Beach Resort
#3 of 3 in Zamboanguita
Atmosphere Resort
Atmosphere Resort
#2 of 15 in Dauin

Been to Liquid Dumaguete? Share your experiences!