“Tricky places, check before stay there.”
Review of Liquid Dumaguete

Liquid Dumaguete
Ranked #5 of 15 Hotels in Dauin
london
“Tricky places, check before stay there.”
Reviewed 12 December 2013

Liquid its very budget place so :
-no air con only fans -when is hot outside is hot inside
-no tv/radio - not a big problem but its nice to hv it
-only 1 small socket to charge ur electronic stuff
-toilet with half open door so if u doing number 2 unpleasant smell fill the whole cottage
-wifi works only in the common place and its one of the slowest one I ever encounter in Philippines

Don't be confused - place its not located in Dauin but around 2 km from it, but thats not the point. Liquid its absolutely in the middle of nowhere with road straight from hell. Road its so bad that drivers charge extra and if u wanna go to eat smth normal (or street food) u hv to spend at least 700 pesos to go / back to Dumaguete.
Place is strictly design for divers, I cant see family with kids using swimming pool (very depth), shallow part has maybe 3square metres.
For some unknown reason they served meals only with specific timeframe. For example lunch only 11-14 , once I came back from dives, had shower went to restaurant (was literally 14 10pm )but they refused to prepare meal.
Dinner (if u wanna heave normal meal ) its served strictly at 19 ( kind of like in the army ) I asked about separate table for my gf and myself, they refused coz "everybody has to eat together".
Also was kind of strange when stuff in very morning asking what I wanna hv for dinner. Well I decide what to eat when its time for dinner not 10 hrs in advance.
When I asked staff about strange meal hrs they said "cook needs to rest" Seriously ?
"Liquid" has 8 cottages so maximum 16 ppl can stay there and its such a big effort to cook for 16 ppl ?
Gz in my short cook's history I was cooking (on my own) for 25 ppl.

diving -they dont hv dedicated speed boat so it takes around 1 hr on super bumpy road to get to the local dive sites instead of minutes by boat. Liquid dosn't pay for table on the beach so when they offer coffee/ tea (for free )it serve on the ground which was bit awkward, obviously when u wait between dives there is no toilet and embarrassed divemaster advise to pee in the ocean (not sure what people should do if they wanna do number 2 )

Liquad has a normal big boat which I didn't use so I cant write about but i believe its solid and nothing to be complain about it.

Do I recon this place?

Simply I cant, I wanna freedom what I eat (very limited menu) and more precisely when. I hv been many secluded resorts where u were stuck but at least they have big menu and full time chief and working generators.
I dont wanna be mean coz staff is super nice and owners are nice folks (home made carrot cake one of the best I ever had) but I simply cant see point off going there. Truth u save on accommodation but u are force to eat in this resort ( no way u can cook smth in the cabin or eat cheap street food in the village) so saving money its a big "no".

Even if u on budget pick another place or stay in Dumagege and all dive resorts will happy pick u up from there for diving . (most of the stuff lives there so easy to arrange pick/drop off)
Don't be confused by TripAdviser ranking I was tricked as well.

ps:
Guys if u can't afford to buy limes (from Robinson )for mojito don't bother to keep it on menu list coz mojito with calamansi its not a mojito and taste like %#%# !

• Stayed November 2013, travelled with family
7 Thank manstain
LiquidDumaguete, Owner at Liquid Dumaguete, responded to this review, 13 December 2013
Thank you for your interesting review, to be honest we were expecting this review from the minute you arrived as Liquid was obviously the wrong resort for you. It is very difficult for us to keep guests happy especially when they are looking for a totally different resort. We have never professed to being a 5* resort and state quite clearly that we do not have those amenities. Our staffs tried their hardest to keep you happy but honestly were rather intimidated by you. Let me comment on your issues -

- We clearly state on our website and in all email correspondence that we only have basic fan rooms with no air con and no additional amenities. There are many other resorts in Dauin that have ac and TV's but there prices are of course a fair bit higher than ours.

- The Wi-Fi in the whole of the Philippines can be slow at times and fast at times, there is unfortunately nothing we can do about this. We have recently changed to a different provider who in our opinion is much better than our previous provider.

- According to our official address we are based in Dauin, just not in Dauin Town where all the other resorts are. We also clearly state on our website that we are remotely located, this is something we like as there are no noisy karaoke bars or resorts near us; just the sound of the ocean, occasional cockerel and slightly insane cow.

- We do agree about the road it is not very good and we have to drive up and down it on a regular basis. The local Barangy Captain has been telling us the road will be fixed in September!! We are just not sure what year! We do inform all our guests that a private van from Liquid to Dumaguete is Php700 and a local tricycle is Php350, this way everyone knows in advance.

- We do advertise as a dive resort and yes this is our main activity. However we have had many families and guests with young children and none divers stay here and no one has complained about the pool depth or the facilities. In fact children including our own love the fact that the pool is deep enough for them to jump into, plus we have plenty of pool toys, noodles, kid’s life jackets and games to keep all ages happy.

- One of our most advertised aspects of Liquid is our family style dinner and set restaurant and bar hours. This is written on our website and further explained in our email correspondence. When you arrive at Liquid it is once again explained to you in your meet and greet. I am confused that you somehow managed to miss all these explanations and still tried to order off menu and at odd hours. We are more than happy to extend meal times for late arrivals and divers who get back late from dives, strange that our staff would not accommodate you. The reason we ask our guests in the morning if they will be joining us for dinner is because we buy all our products fresh for that evening’s meal, and many of our guests are out all day on dive trips or local tours. We ask guests to inform us by 3pm if they will be joining. We also advertise the night’s meal a day in advance giving our guests plenty of time to choose if they would like to join us or to eat out. Once again this is clearly stated on our website, through email correspondence and during your meet and greet.

- As far as I know there are only 2 resorts along the Dauin Coast that have speed boats! We have a large comfortable Bangka (the same as everyone else) plus a dive jeep to accommodate our divers. I am not sure where in Dauin you can rent a table on the beach, nor do I really understand why you would want to. There is a toilet on our boat and one public toilet at Poblacion. No other dive sites have toilet facilities, which is not something I have ever thought about before. Having dived for over 12 years, unless I am out on a boat for a day trip, I have never really thought too much about will there be a toilet at the dive site!

- Happy to hear that you thought our staff are all nice and helpful, we are very proud of all of our staff and most have been with us since the very beginning. Darlene (Tim’s mum) makes all our cakes and desserts and we get many great comments from guests about them.

- To sum up - I am sorry you did not enjoy your stay with us, but if you had actually researched our resort properly you would have come to the conclusion that Liquid is simply not the place for you. As I previously stated we have never claimed to be a 5* resort and we are very clear in our advertising that we are a budget resort based in a remote location with limited meals and our main activity is diving.

- As for the mojitos, they are Philippine Mojitos and are one of our best sellers!

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (57)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Polish first
earth
Reviewed 3 December 2013

I will try to make this short.
I traveled solo and stayed for 5 days.

Pros:
1. Great service and attitude. One of the best I have encountered.
2. Flexibility - great (I never saw a boat go out with 3 divers and two divemasters before).
3. Very good value, you get a 5 star experience for a great and cheap price which no place would match.
4. When you stay here you are part of the family and you get this great feeling that you are welcome that is very good for solo travelers and anyone social.
5. divemasters are professionals and the service is great during the dive, helping you and assembling your gear always with a smile.
6. Great diving sites near by. Don't miss apo island.

Cons
Really there are none. Its hard to fault the place for anything. Just note that there is no air con in the room, instead thete is a ceiling fan witch in December was no issue and they clearly state it on their website.

This place will cater anyone:
groups, families, couples and solo travelers alike who are looking for value for their money and a nice family atmosphere and welcoming. If you are a backpacker this might be just a little bit too expensive so check the rates ahead, but most people will find it cheap especially if you compare it to what you are getting and to other resorts in the area. Will definitely be coming back!

Thank you Tim, Zoe and all the staff for a truly wonderful stay - daniel.

tips:
if you are worried of the recent typhoon don't be it had no effect here

Try the frozen ice tea at the bar

Coconut cookies are the best!

• Stayed December 2013
Thank you for your lovely review. It is great to hear that our guests enjoyed their holiday with us. Our main goal is to be a friendly family resort where we do our utmost to meet the needs of out guests, yet within a budget environment. I am happy that you feel we obtained this level and that you had a good time with us. Hope to see you back here in the New Year!
London, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed 3 November 2013

My boyfriend and I contacted Liquid to inquire about a divemaster internship, we were so bowled over by Zoe's informative and enthusiastic response that we signed up and arrived on 1st September for 6 weeks.

We were picked up from Dumaguete and and greeted on arrival by the resort manager Jim, who was to be our instructor. Jim has a great teaching style, he is very approachable, engaging and from day one he really made us feel like part of the team. He was a mind of information regarding the theory elements of the course and we had a great laugh with him during our practical skills.

The resort provides the option for the DM/IDC interns to stay in what they advertise as dorm style accommodation but you actually get your own room. The bathroom is shared and there is also the added bonus of a small kitchen with fridge so that you have the option to cook for yourselves.

Liquid are a very sociable lot, dinners here are served family style with a set menu every night and there is always at least 1 member of the team eating with the guests, This gives a great atmosphere and sets the tone for the next day of diving. We had some great meals and in particular loved the Mexican dishes that were served - Darlenes cakes and cookies also deserve a special mention.

Tim & Zoe are the owners and have worked in the dive industry for a long time so what they don't know about diving isn't worth knowing. They pride themselves on being an affordable
resort for the modern traveller, but I think they are much more than this. They are warm, friendly hosts who always go that extra mile to ensure that everyone is having
a great time and enjoying themselves. We personally experienced their genourosity on many occaissions and seeing the amount of customers that come back repeatedly we are not the only ones who think this.

We absolutley loved our time at Liquid, it was so hard to leave that we stayed for 8 weeks. Everybody made us feel so welcome and we know like so many other guests who have been before that we will definately be coming back.

If you love diving or are thinking of taking a course then you should eat, sleep, dive, live Liquid and you will not be disappointed.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
LiquidDumaguete, Owner at Liquid Dumaguete, responded to this review, 19 November 2013
Jason and Sarah, thank you both very much for your lovely review. We are so happy that you both enjoyed your DM with us, we really felt like you became part of the family here at Liquid, and we are holding to your word that you will be back in the new year for your instructor courses!! Come back soon, we miss you both!!
Singapore, Singapore
Reviewed 3 November 2013

This review is soooooo late.....(sorry Zoe)...but we had a magical time at Liquid back in April of this year. We had wanted to take a trip up to the Philippines to do some relaxing and scuba diving. Also, there was another life changing purpose - I had mentioned to Zoe that I was going to propose to my girlfriend while scuba diving at Apo Island.

I can't say enough about Zoe and her staff - they made our stay absolutely amazing - from giving us the secluded bungalow right on the beach, booking a day trip to go canyoning, to her staff helping me organize the underwater proposal. They helped choreograph and film the entire proposal!!!

Like other reviews, you first wonder where you are headed when you take the road to the resort, but once you get there you see how awesome it is. A true B&B, right on the beach with amazing sunrise views, friendly people and a total laid back culture.

The food was also great! - especially the great group dinners where you can get to know Zoe, Tim and family as well as the staff and other guests. Something you never get at big resorts or hotels. Every morning, my Fiancee and I would wake up and eagerly check the blackboard for the meals of the day - All the meals felt like your mom had cooked them! FYI - Darlene's baking should be on the food network!

Our room was nice and simple and any issues we had, were taken care of right away. There was nothing like hearing the waves crash at the shore while you started to fall asleep and then hearing the same thing when you woke up in the morning!

The 5 Star PADI resort is exactly that - truly professional and incredibly informative. All the dives were well organized and safety was always a top priority.

Zoe also set up a great day trip to visit the Kawasan River for canyoning! If this trip is available, we would highly recommend taking it. It is a full day trip of hiking, swimming, trekking and jumping through the Kawasan River canyon. It was a pleasant surprise that this trip was available - as it was something we did not even consider, but that is just how Liquid is - they really try to make your visit a memorable one in all aspects

Thanks again Zoe and Tim - we had a great time! Can't wait for our next visit!

Room Tip: Ask for the separate bunglalow - it is next to the others and right on the beach! if there are any...
  • Stayed April 2013, travelled as a couple
Thanks guys for such a lovely review! We are very happy that you both enjoyed your stay with us, and congratulations on your engagement!! We are glad that we could help make the day special for you both!! You have to promise to send us a photo of your wedding day! Darlene promises to make you lots of yummy cakes when you both return! Thank you once again and we look forward to your next holiday with us!
Dublin
Reviewed 1 November 2013

My friend and I stayed at Liquid in October 2013. We had a thoroughly enjoyable few days.

The road to the resort from the main road was in shocking condition and we were wondering what kind of a place we would find at the end of the journey there. We were very pleasantly surprised!

I would highly recommend including Liquid on any itinerary in the Philippines. It is a resort for divers. They organise day trips on Negros too but if you don’t intend to dive I would stay elsewhere.

Some reviews say that this is a “budget resort and you get what you pay for” – Yes, I agree with the budget part. The room rate is a very good deal but the resort is not particularly basic is my view. The bar and restaurant area above the pool and dive centre is beautifully done and affords lovely views over the resort towards the sea. Sunsets are fantastic from this vantage point. The grounds are meticulously manicured and maintained. The cottages are lovely too…I was very impressed with the whole set up.

In particular I loved the personal aspect of the resort. The resort is small – only 8 cottages – and it is family run. This is the aspect that I loved. The owners, Zoe and Tim were extremely welcoming. The staff are quite simply, wonderful. After a few hours at the resort we felt like part of the furniture. It is so easy to get to know the staff and other guests. The family style evening dinner is well worth attending as it is a tasty and relaxing way to get to meet others. The owners and staff seemed to us to get on extremely well…happy staff lead to happy guests!

Special mention must go to Tim's Mum, Darlene who is not only a great baker (the cookies are yumm!) but also great fun to chat to. ;-)

Room Tip: All are well located
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled with friends
Thanks Steve for taking the time to write such a nice review. We are very happy that you both enjoyed your stay with us and that you felt like one of the Liquid family! This is exactly how we want our guests to feel. We are still working on getting the access road improved, we were informed it would be done in October - but no one gave us a year! and so far it is still a little bumpy! Darlene is still baking up a storm in the kitchen. You will have to come back to try out some of her new cookies! Thank you once again and hope to see you back at Liquid one day!
Berlin, Germany
Reviewed 20 October 2013

I did my PADI DM course here and all I can say it was superb. Very professional way of teaching and the DM dorm where I stayed which is actually a own room with a bed exceeded my expectations. Very good value for money. The owners and instructors made me feel like home and the food was fantastic thanks to the unbeatable skills of the grandparents of the owners. Of course the entire staff was smiling constantly and this brings you in a good mood all day long. Can highly recommend that place and I have seen a lot of diving schools and can honestly say it was one of the best. I will come back. For sure.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank Henrik V
Hi Henrik, thank you for your lovely review. Very happy you enjoyed your DM course with us here, we certainly enjoyed having you stay and are looking forward to your return! Remember you promised to come back for either a long holiday or your IDC!!! Enjoy the rest of your travels and we will see you soon!
Encinitas, California
Reviewed 4 October 2013 via mobile

Really nothing bad about the spot! Great owners who love to interact with their clients! Really homey atmosphere! Diving gear for rental is really nice. Cottages are roomy and nicely built. Really built this spot great, put some money into it! Food is also really killer to top it off!

Thank you guys for a great experience!

Sean & Christian
9/27-10/1-2013

Stayed September 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank CostaKid
LiquidDumaguete, Owner at Liquid Dumaguete, responded to this review, 10 October 2013
Hey Sean & Christian, thanks for the lovely review. We had a blast with you guys and are very happy that your enjoyed your stay with us. Canasta is waiting when you come back! Hope to see you both again soon.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Dauin
Mike's Dauin Beach Resort
#7 of 15 in Dauin
Atmosphere Resort
Atmosphere Resort
#2 of 15 in Dauin

Been to Liquid Dumaguete? Share your experiences!