“My 2 months with the Liquid family.”
Review of Liquid Dumaguete

and 1 more site!
Liquid Dumaguete
Ranked #5 of 16 Hotels in Dauin
Reviewed 12 February 2014

I've spent 2 months at Liquid Dumaguete for my Divemasters, and I've gotta say it will be a 2 months I will never forget. During my stay, I felt like I was at home, everyone was so friendly and kind like a big family.

The Divemaster course that I did was extremely fun throughout, with crazy scenarios to do, and the Instructors that took part in helping me develop my skills were fantastic, highly sociable, kind, and work really hard to make you the best Divemaster possible! Thanks to this, and from all the feedback and practice I had with real Open Water classes, I managed to get top tier score for my Skills demonstration, which I did not expect!

If you are looking for an extremely high quality Divemaster course, where you will make lifelong friends in a beautiful location, then Liquid will be for you. The staff at liquid are like family, they take care of you and make sure you are happy throughout and will always be there for you.

The atmosphere is so friendly too, during dinners especially everyone who takes part for dinner would all sit together and chat and share experiences and stories. This was also an amazing feature of being at Liquid, and I enjoyed learning such huge varieties of experiences from a highly diverse group of customers and staff.

As someone who loves turtles, Liquid is the place to be. Trips to Apo Island were fantastic, and I had the oppurtunity to experience some of the most beautiful, well aged Green Sea Turtles, Hawksbill Turtles and Huge Sea Kraits. All of these species are left alone at Apo Island and they grow to impressive sizes! And they are just beautiful, as they swim along the high quality coral which is also found at Apo Island too. Also the dives along Dauin are fantastic for muck-diving, with plenty of tiny sights to see from Clown Frogfish, Wunderpus, and the Flamboyant Cuttlefish!

I am definitely going to go back to Liquid to do my IDC Course in the near future!

Room Tip: The Divemaster lodge rooms are great for its value! This is really good for the budget traveler!
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled solo
2  Thank BenKentaroBowes
LiquidDumaguete, Owner at Liquid Dumaguete, responded to this reviewResponded 5 March 2014

Ben, what can I say!! We loved having you as a part of the Liquid crew and miss you now that you are no longer here. We all look forward to your return one day for your instructor course - so work hard and save that money :D Very happy you felt like part of the family, that is exactly how we hope our Divemaster Candidates feel. Thanks again and see you soon.

Reviewed 1 February 2014

I stayed at Liquid at the same time , I think, as the two previous reviewers and had an excellent time.

Believe me , the only budget aspect of this resort is the cost....the lodge, the gardens and the beautiful cute cottages have been created with love and care and attention to the smallest detail.

Zoe answered my zillions of questions before and after my arrival with the patience of a saint. The weather was less benign than it should have been at this time of year , but we still managed an awesome 3 dive trip to Apo Island with its fabulous pristine coral gardens.

The variety and very high quality of the beautiful imaginative food on offer is incredible for such a small resort.I was lucky enough to have had an 8 week trip and the food at Liquid was by far the best.The cottages are so lovely and extremely comfortable. I just loved hearing the waves at night and then the starlings in the roof in the morning.

Hope to be back again soon.

Stayed: January 2014, travelled solo
1  Thank ire123

Hi Geraldine, thank you for your lovely review. We are very happy that you enjoyed your stay with us even though the weather was not so great! Our family dinners are something that we are very proud of so knowing you thought the food was good with a lot of variety is lovely to hear. We all hope to see you back here at Liquid one day soon. Thanks again

Reviewed 27 January 2014

We're pretty seasoned travelers and had an fantastic time at Liquid. We read the reviews before arriving and knew what we were in for - excellent diving, three course meals every night, 6 options of local and western lunches each day, breakfasts that rival any U.S. diner, and a private hut with it's own bathroom/shower at a "I've never paid this low a price for a vacation in my life" expense. The layout of the resort easily allows you to dive for half or the entire day, get back to the compound, rinse your gear thoroughly and efficiently, then get ready for a night of great food, inexpensive beer and cool conversations with fellow divers from around the world. Oh, expect the Divemasters/Guides to be friendly and professional. On every dive we saw that they were interested in making sure everyone's dive experience was fun and SAFE (the safe part was particularly comforting). The DM's were quick to pick up on everyone's experience level and were knowledgeable of both the elements of diving and the geographic areas in which we dived/dove. This is a resort I'd recommend to both experienced and amateur divers.

Room Tip: We were in Hut 8, it had an awesome view during sunrise and sunset, a great breeze from the ocean to...
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
LiquidDumaguete, Owner at Liquid Dumaguete, responded to this reviewResponded 31 January 2014

Hi Marc and Krstina Thank you for the lovely review. We had a blast with you guys and are very happy that you enjoyed your stay with us. Great to hear that our divemasters looked after you both so well. We are very proud of our local staff and will make sure they receive the compliments. Looking forward to seeing you both back here soon.

Reviewed 27 January 2014

My family and my wife's sister and her family take a vacation every year to get away from the cold Alaska winters. This year, the choice was the Philippines. Our main requirements are that we find a place with good diving for myself and my brother in-law; have a good pool the kids can play in; and have good beaches and interesting places we can go explore inland.

The diving here and all the dive masters are top notch. There are several shore dives you can do which means you aren't walking out the door at 6am to catch a boat for a 2 hour ride to the dive site, or they take you to Apo Island which is one of the premier diving destinations in the Philippines - yes, this one requires a boat ride (you don't leave until 8!), but it's only about 45 minutes and well worth it as you get a good 3 dives in before heading home.

The pool is nice (no shallow ends, so bring floaties if your children aren't great swimmers yet), but they also have a small, separate kiddie section too, so even the little ones can get in on the action. It's also located next to the bar and since the drinks are extremely reasonably priced, you don't really have to worry about how many times you are 'putting it on the room'!

There were several excursions that our wives were interested in taking advantage of, but unfortunately, we only had time to do one of them. My wife and her sister and the kids also went into town for the weekly local market and experienced some great, fresh local food. The very friendly staff can guide you on all the local stuff you should take advantage of if you are looking to branch out a bit.

The beaches here aren't really the kind with a bunch of people laying out as they are a bit rocky, but the kids got to build sand castles and find lots of cool shells.

We also loved the way they set up dinner time. They have a happy hour where you get to chat and have a good time with other people staying at the resort and that's followed up with a very tasty meal served 'family style' with everybody eating together. Loved the many conversations with fellow divers and other vacationers each night over drinks and dinner.

All in all, we had a fantastic time while at Liquid and would definitely go again. They are very straight forward with how their accommodations are set up so we didn't have any unrealistic expectations going in. That said, they exceeded all the expectations we did have! Thank you to all at Liquid for a great time!

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled with family

Hi guys, thank you so much for the great review. We are glad that your family enjoyed their stay with us. Our kids certainly loved having other children the same age to play with every day! Hope you all enjoyed the rest of your Philippine holiday and it would be great to see you all back here one day!

Reviewed 10 January 2014

This was our third stay at Liquid Dive Resort and it just gets better and better. My husband and I are well seasoned travellers around different parts of the USA, Australia, Africa, Europe, Thailand, Indonesia and now the Philippines. We don't want air-con and mini-bars, we look for fare price and somewhere we will experience what the country has to offer. So in USA it was International hostels, in Australia it was a camper van, Africa it was small resorts and Safari, Europe it was Caravaning, Thailand was Island hopping, same in Indonesia and finally small not overly commercialised resorts in the Philippines. Unfortunately due to health issues my husband no longer dives. So as a couple we look for places that offer both a high standard of organisation and safety for diving and a friendly resort that is well positioned for day trips, quick visits to town or indeed just relaxing by the pool. Liquid not only ticked all those boxes, they made your stay really special. We were unsure of being away from home and family over Christmas but Tim, Zoe, family and staff, all really made it a Christmas and holiday to remember. We think that Liquid's success is due to the vision, passion and care that the Owners, Tim and Zoe put into this resort and their staff team. It is a simple resort with a big heart, safe diving and delicious food.

Jim is their dive shop manager and he runs an impressive team. They are prepared to put time and effort into helping everyone to enjoy diving from support with private equipment problems to helping someone conker their fear of water. We witnessed it all. I enjoyed 18 dives during our stay and nothing was too much trouble.

Darlene and Al, Tim's Mum and Dad moved to the Philippines having worked in the food industry in Canada for years to oversee the running of their restaurant. The food is delicious, well presented and hot. Unlike many restaurants in the Philippines, the food is served hot and together. Darlene's cakes and pastries are to die for. Something that is often missing for those of us with a sweet tooth. Have you ever gone on a dive trip and been offered homemade chocolate chip cookies or lemon drizzle cake after a dive? We stayed at Liquid for 3 weeks and didn't have the same menu twice. We loved the social aspect of eating all together in the evening and the live music for Christmas.

All in all it was a fabulous holiday. Many thanks to everyone, we will be back. I agree with previous reviews, it is a 5 star experience. No worries regarding the Typhoon, as mentioned before, all is well and safe. Huge thanks, Anna and Steve or as we were named "Mama Anna and Sir Steve"!

Room Tip: All the rooms are sea facing and offer same size etc. There are only 8 rooms so take your pick.
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple

Thank you Anna and Steve for such a lovely review. We are glad that we keep exceeding your expectations and are looking for your next holiday. Xmas is a special time here at Liquid and we are glad that you both felt like one of the family. See you both again soon!

Reviewed 12 December 2013

Liquid its very budget place so :
-no air con only fans -when is hot outside is hot inside
-no tv/radio - not a big problem but its nice to hv it
-only 1 small socket to charge ur electronic stuff
-toilet with half open door so if u doing number 2 unpleasant smell fill the whole cottage
-wifi works only in the common place and its one of the slowest one I ever encounter in Philippines

Don't be confused - place its not located in Dauin but around 2 km from it, but thats not the point. Liquid its absolutely in the middle of nowhere with road straight from hell. Road its so bad that drivers charge extra and if u wanna go to eat smth normal (or street food) u hv to spend at least 700 pesos to go / back to Dumaguete.
Place is strictly design for divers, I cant see family with kids using swimming pool (very depth), shallow part has maybe 3square metres.
For some unknown reason they served meals only with specific timeframe. For example lunch only 11-14 , once I came back from dives, had shower went to restaurant (was literally 14 10pm )but they refused to prepare meal.
Dinner (if u wanna heave normal meal ) its served strictly at 19 ( kind of like in the army ) I asked about separate table for my gf and myself, they refused coz "everybody has to eat together".
Also was kind of strange when stuff in very morning asking what I wanna hv for dinner. Well I decide what to eat when its time for dinner not 10 hrs in advance.
When I asked staff about strange meal hrs they said "cook needs to rest" Seriously ?
"Liquid" has 8 cottages so maximum 16 ppl can stay there and its such a big effort to cook for 16 ppl ?
Gz in my short cook's history I was cooking (on my own) for 25 ppl.

diving -they dont hv dedicated speed boat so it takes around 1 hr on super bumpy road to get to the local dive sites instead of minutes by boat. Liquid dosn't pay for table on the beach so when they offer coffee/ tea (for free )it serve on the ground which was bit awkward, obviously when u wait between dives there is no toilet and embarrassed divemaster advise to pee in the ocean (not sure what people should do if they wanna do number 2 )

Liquad has a normal big boat which I didn't use so I cant write about but i believe its solid and nothing to be complain about it.

Do I recon this place?

Simply I cant, I wanna freedom what I eat (very limited menu) and more precisely when. I hv been many secluded resorts where u were stuck but at least they have big menu and full time chief and working generators.
I dont wanna be mean coz staff is super nice and owners are nice folks (home made carrot cake one of the best I ever had) but I simply cant see point off going there. Truth u save on accommodation but u are force to eat in this resort ( no way u can cook smth in the cabin or eat cheap street food in the village) so saving money its a big "no".

Even if u on budget pick another place or stay in Dumagege and all dive resorts will happy pick u up from there for diving . (most of the stuff lives there so easy to arrange pick/drop off)
Don't be confused by TripAdviser ranking I was tricked as well.

ps:
Guys if u can't afford to buy limes (from Robinson )for mojito don't bother to keep it on menu list coz mojito with calamansi its not a mojito and taste like %#%# !

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled with family
7  Thank manstain
LiquidDumaguete, Owner at Liquid Dumaguete, responded to this reviewResponded 13 December 2013

Thank you for your interesting review, to be honest we were expecting this review from the minute you arrived as Liquid was obviously the wrong resort for you. It is very difficult for us to keep guests happy especially when they are looking for a totally different resort. We have never professed to being a 5* resort and state quite clearly that we do not have those amenities. Our staffs tried their hardest to keep you happy but honestly were rather intimidated by you. Let me comment on your issues -

- We clearly state on our website and in all email correspondence that we only have basic fan rooms with no air con and no additional amenities. There are many other resorts in Dauin that have ac and TV's but there prices are of course a fair bit higher than ours.

- The Wi-Fi in the whole of the Philippines can be slow at times and fast at times, there is unfortunately nothing we can do about this. We have recently changed to a different provider who in our opinion is much better than our previous provider.

- According to our official address we are based in Dauin, just not in Dauin Town where all the other resorts are. We also clearly state on our website that we are remotely located, this is something we like as there are no noisy karaoke bars or resorts near us; just the sound of the ocean, occasional cockerel and slightly insane cow.

- We do agree about the road it is not very good and we have to drive up and down it on a regular basis. The local Barangy Captain has been telling us the road will be fixed in September!! We are just not sure what year! We do inform all our guests that a private van from Liquid to Dumaguete is Php700 and a local tricycle is Php350, this way everyone knows in advance.

- We do advertise as a dive resort and yes this is our main activity. However we have had many families and guests with young children and none divers stay here and no one has complained about the pool depth or the facilities. In fact children including our own love the fact that the pool is deep enough for them to jump into, plus we have plenty of pool toys, noodles, kid’s life jackets and games to keep all ages happy.

- One of our most advertised aspects of Liquid is our family style dinner and set restaurant and bar hours. This is written on our website and further explained in our email correspondence. When you arrive at Liquid it is once again explained to you in your meet and greet. I am confused that you somehow managed to miss all these explanations and still tried to order off menu and at odd hours. We are more than happy to extend meal times for late arrivals and divers who get back late from dives, strange that our staff would not accommodate you. The reason we ask our guests in the morning if they will be joining us for dinner is because we buy all our products fresh for that evening’s meal, and many of our guests are out all day on dive trips or local tours. We ask guests to inform us by 3pm if they will be joining. We also advertise the night’s meal a day in advance giving our guests plenty of time to choose if they would like to join us or to eat out. Once again this is clearly stated on our website, through email correspondence and during your meet and greet.

- As far as I know there are only 2 resorts along the Dauin Coast that have speed boats! We have a large comfortable Bangka (the same as everyone else) plus a dive jeep to accommodate our divers. I am not sure where in Dauin you can rent a table on the beach, nor do I really understand why you would want to. There is a toilet on our boat and one public toilet at Poblacion. No other dive sites have toilet facilities, which is not something I have ever thought about before. Having dived for over 12 years, unless I am out on a boat for a day trip, I have never really thought too much about will there be a toilet at the dive site!

- Happy to hear that you thought our staff are all nice and helpful, we are very proud of all of our staff and most have been with us since the very beginning. Darlene (Tim’s mum) makes all our cakes and desserts and we get many great comments from guests about them.

- To sum up - I am sorry you did not enjoy your stay with us, but if you had actually researched our resort properly you would have come to the conclusion that Liquid is simply not the place for you. As I previously stated we have never claimed to be a 5* resort and we are very clear in our advertising that we are a budget resort based in a remote location with limited meals and our main activity is diving.

- As for the mojitos, they are Philippine Mojitos and are one of our best sellers!

Reviewed 3 December 2013

I will try to make this short.
I traveled solo and stayed for 5 days.

Pros:
1. Great service and attitude. One of the best I have encountered.
2. Flexibility - great (I never saw a boat go out with 3 divers and two divemasters before).
3. Very good value, you get a 5 star experience for a great and cheap price which no place would match.
4. When you stay here you are part of the family and you get this great feeling that you are welcome that is very good for solo travelers and anyone social.
5. divemasters are professionals and the service is great during the dive, helping you and assembling your gear always with a smile.
6. Great diving sites near by. Don't miss apo island.

Cons
Really there are none. Its hard to fault the place for anything. Just note that there is no air con in the room, instead thete is a ceiling fan witch in December was no issue and they clearly state it on their website.

This place will cater anyone:
groups, families, couples and solo travelers alike who are looking for value for their money and a nice family atmosphere and welcoming. If you are a backpacker this might be just a little bit too expensive so check the rates ahead, but most people will find it cheap especially if you compare it to what you are getting and to other resorts in the area. Will definitely be coming back!

Thank you Tim, Zoe and all the staff for a truly wonderful stay - daniel.

tips:
if you are worried of the recent typhoon don't be it had no effect here

Try the frozen ice tea at the bar

Coconut cookies are the best!

• Stayed: December 2013

Thank you for your lovely review. It is great to hear that our guests enjoyed their holiday with us. Our main goal is to be a friendly family resort where we do our utmost to meet the needs of out guests, yet within a budget environment. I am happy that you feel we obtained this level and that you had a good time with us. Hope to see you back here in the New Year!

Also consider these accommodations in or near Dauin
Mike's Dauin Beach Resort
Hotel Essencia
#14 of 35 in Dumaguete City
Vida Homes Condo Resort
Atlantis Dive Resorts Dumaguete

Been to Liquid Dumaguete? Share your experiences!