“Insotel, we will return!”

Insotel Punta Prima Resort & Spa
Ranked #2 of 6 Hotels in Punta Prima
Wrexham/Oxford
“Insotel, we will return!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 October 2012

Myself, husband, 2 grans and grandpas and a baby girl (18 mths) travelled to menorca mid September this year. We booked and travelled with first choice, who were great all the way through, no problems at all. On our arrival frommanchester, we were shown to the transfer bus and travelled the short journey to the hotel. We were pleasantly surprised at what greeted us - aesthetically pleasing and friendly, the insotel is a large, low level hotel, near the sea and with some beautiful views. Our check in experience wasn't great to be honest though, there were large queues and typically for me, I was at the back:-( I felt the very least the hotel could do was provide some refreshments for those waiting to check in. When I did get to check in, all was fine, we have to wear those awful AI bands, but there you go. Only one room was ready, so we all piled our things into there, we were in the 3000 block, which was brill, more to the lower end of the hill that the top, with a cracking view of the sea. We went for lunch straight away and were delighted with was was on offer. This continued all the way through the holiday, those people who struggle to eat here must be very fussy! Reception rang shortly after to allocate the rest of the party their rooms and we were all in block 3000 which was great. The pools were gorgeous, albeit a little chilly and my daughter did chatter a bit in there. But with the beautiful sun, she soon warmed up. There were loads of families with children of a similar age, which was excellent, as she had plenty of little pals to play and share toys with, around the pool and in the play parks. You do have to reserve beds, sadly, as if you try to get 6 beds together after breakfast, you haven't a chance. So I'm afraid it was a case of if you can't beat em...
The pool bar was great with loads of selection and snacks. Wasps are everywhere, but strangely they didn't sting(!) and they were just a nuisance more than a danger. The main bar in the entertainment block is well stocked, but my goodness, what a hassle trying to get served. One evening, I waited for over 20 mins to get served, and even then my mum had to shout to the barman "we're next!" I'd hate to think what it'd be like in peak season!! Also, the attitude of some of the bar staff, men particularly, was a bit haughty and stand offish.
We went to the beach one morning which was lovely, although I'm defo more of a pool girl. My little girl loved the sea and sand and was able to paddle and swim out with me quite far. Lovely and clean with vigilant lifeguards on duty. Punta prima itself is a very sleepy and quiet place, with a handful of tavernas and shops but its perfectly adequate.
The animation team at insotel worked very hard, with daytime and night time activities. People have criticised the team before on TA, but these people work all day and night, day in, day out, for the while season, with a big smile and a cheery disposition. Give them a break, some of their activities and shows are great fun and some of the people are really quite talented. If you want west end, go on a cruise!
So, we had 7 blissfully hot and sunny days at he insotel, getting to grips with the jingle and having a brilliant holiday. Yes it has its issues, but that's me being picky and there are plenty more pros than cons! Go there, you won't be disappointed! We will be back! :-)

Room Tip: Ask for 3000, 4000 or 5000 if you don't want to do the hill !!
3 Thank sianbo1
InsotelHotelGroup, General Manager at Insotel Punta Prima Resort & Spa, responded to this review, 21 February 2013
Dear Sianbo 1
thank you very much for your time in writing your experience in Insotel Punta Prima Resort. We have understood that the first impression with the check in was not great. When we have this massive arrivals some of the guest must wait, as it hapens in the airport for the check in. Nevertheless, we should improve this waiting time so we will take that into account. Of course the bands are necessary, but if you do not want to wear them, tell us and will provide a solution in your next visit. About wasps, it is dificult to stop them, because it depends on the external weather and temperature, but we are working on to avoid them in our installations. Do not hesitate to contact us again in case you come back in order to improve with your suggestions. Best regards from Menorca.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (511)
  • Polish first
  • Slovak first
Wakefield, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 October 2012

We were here for 10 days at the end of September 2012, and we had a very good time. This hotel caters for families very well and if you have young children it is a superb hotel to stay in.
The food was very good quality with a good selection, the drinks were nearly all branded with a good selection.
We had very good weather during our stay with the odd shower ( to be expected at this time of year ) the rooms were ok but to be honest were not 5 star but adequate.
The beach is a short walk away along with the few shops and bars of Punta Prima.
The staff were all pleasant, Gabor the waiter was excellent and earned his tip, he never left us with empty glasses and was always pleasant even after a 12 hour shift !
This holiday was all we expected it to be from the flight from Doncaster all way to our return to Doncaster we cannot fault any of it.
We had a few issues with our last holiday booked with Thomson on a Platinum basis but these were sorted by Julie at the Pontefract shop ( Thomson customer services should take advise off their own shop staff !! ) We will be booking this again for next year and taking more with us !!!

Room Tip: If you have a buggy ask for the low level rooms.
1 Thank gadget1966
InsotelHotelGroup, Guest Relations Manager at Insotel Punta Prima Resort & Spa, responded to this review, 7 October 2012
Dear gadget1966,
we are very pleased to read your comment and glad to know that you had a good holiday.
We are looking forward to meeting you in Punta Prima next year.
Best regards,
basildon
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 October 2012

Had two weeks here from 12/9/12. Great weather and location. The whole holiday experience was very good. Apartment clean and comfortable, the resort was spotless, gardens kept lovely and the views beautiful. The food was good with a wide choice of meats fish and salads. Lovely fresh bread everyday and a great choice of cakes and desserts. Drinks were always plentiful and again the choice was good. Thought all the staff were friendly and attentive, nothing was to much trouble, and made everything enjoyable. A big thankyou to the restaurant and bar staff who all worked really hard, and at times were really busy. Would recommend this resort. A very good all inclusive.

Room Tip: first floor apartment in the 2000"s halfway up hill.
2 Thank rhoda m
Dear Rhoda,
on behalf of all our staff members many thanks for your feedback. Our main satisfaction is to know that our guests appreciate our efforts in giving the best service.
We really hope to meet you again in Punta Prima next year.
Best regards,
perth
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 October 2012

My partner and I managed to get 2 weeks off ..a miracle so we looked and booked. 10 days all inclusive, well except for the safe and wifi - which only worked if sitting in immediate area of the reception or one of the bars, well if you could get a seat.
Room not bad, except single beds shoved together , creaked, hard bases with thin mattresses, I ended up sleeping on the sofa one night. Missed a kettle so could make a coffee in am. Also not sure if drinks in fridge was part of the inclusive or not.
Food was of good variety, but sadly was rather like being in a kindergarden canteen - screaming kids and food being tossed about and yep there was quite a few irresponsible parents and that includes at the pool area.
Weather was good, drinks great, Nice resort and would love to go again BUT feel needs adult area - no kids and that includes meal time. Felt that we would have better attention in dining area if did have children, staff fell over themselves. So might look at adult/couple only or even try hire villa.
Oh and a 3 1/2hr wait for a room on arrival was just a bit too much, reception staffs attitude was TOUGH. even when it was 35 mins after 2pm room time - was hot, tired and felt like shaking them.

Room Tip: Take train to Binibecia and bus it around Island as saw the real sights.
1 Thank roo2mom
Dear Roo2mom,
thank you for yor comments: we will take note of them in our effort to give a good service.
Bes regards,
Romsey
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 October 2012

My wife and I are in our late sixties and wanted some sun after our poor summer at home. We have visited Insotel in Ibiza five times over a 25 year period so expected this hotel to be good when we booked it at two weeks' notice. We weren't disappointed. People seem to differ over whether it is 4 or 5 star. It depends on what you count. The rooms and facilities are of good quality but it is a club style hotel so don't expect 5 star service. The room we had was a one bedroom apartment with two sofa beds in the lounge and was more than adequate for the two of us and would have been fine with two children but not for two more adults. We had a partial sea view almost as far as you can go from the main buildings which, being fairly fit, was not a problem for us. It is however not somewhere for those with mobility problems though we did see some people in wheel chairs who seemed to be managing OK.

The restaurants were efficiently run and the food was plentiful, variable and of good quality. The Italian where guests can eat once a week on all inclusive was also good but in an odd location next to a swimming pool and bar that had served snacks all day so not quite the place for a special evening meal though the food was fine We had two complaints about the main restaurant. The wine served was appalling and no other wine list was offered although I understand they have one. This seems strange as the drinks in the bars included a wide selection of premium brands. I stuck to beer in the restaurant and brandy in the bar.after dinner. My other complaint in the restaurant is the lack of a dress code although when one hairy chested middle aged man turned up for lunch with no shirt he was turned away. Old fashioned I may be but I do not like looking at sweaty hairy arm pits and tatoos when eating so at breakfast and lunch time a decent short sleeve shirt should be required with long trousers in the evening. At breakfast one morning my wife had a view in front of her of the completely bare backside of a middle aged man who was I assume unaware that his trousers had slipped down. I was tempted to plant one of the artifical flowers that were on our table. I've often wondered which fashion idiot thought that low slung trousers were a good idea on men. Whether the hotel is 4 or 5 star is one thing, some of the guests fall well below that and clearly obesity is not exclusive to North America.

As we were outside the school holidays we only had to contend with the young children who in the main were not a problem although I have often wondered why parents think it a good idea to let their youngsters run around unsupervised when the cabaret performers are doing their bit. It's discourteous to other guests and to the performers and although we had only singers and bands, for performers such as jugglers and magicians (I'm one of the latter) it can be really off-putting and in the case of the former even dangerous if they are juggling with knives, fire etc.

We enjoyed our break but won't go back as the hotel is really too big to make friendships as you seldom see the same people around. It's great for families but for couples and older people there are more suitable places

Room Tip: Try to be near the sea. You can pay more for a sea view but I doubt it's worth it. Some of the...
2 Thank Elmsley
Dear Elmsley,
many thanks for your comments: we will take note of them in order to understand better our guests' needs.
Hoping to meet you again in one of the Insotel hotels,
best regards.
Rugby, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 October 2012

Hotel is very well situated approx 25 minutes from Airport and lovely views towards the sea. Our apartment was situated at the bottom end of the resort - for the less mobile I would suggest they ask for an apartment half way up as it is quite a walk up to the top of the resort. Apartment could do with updating, although no complaints about the cleaniness- cleaned every day and clean towels, which we really didn't need every day. The choice of food in the restaurant is exceptional, you would be hardpressed not to find anything to eat. I would recommend the IL Faro restaurant, we were in two minds to go but it was worth the visit. Slightly disappointed in the evening entertainment - went with a friend so tried to miss the 'Mini-Disco' hoping for some entertainment once the disco had finished. The two tribute acts we saw were ok, but the team that put on the shows need to try harder and also as there were an awful lot of brits there - more english please!!! A quite bar in the evening would be a good idea as previously mentioned in one review, although I am a parent I am slightly out of touch with little ones. Everywhere is kept very clean and all the staff we came across during our stay were very helpful.

• Stayed September 2012, travelled with friends
1 Thank nellsie
Dear Nellsie,
thank you for your comments: we will take into considerations your suggestions for the next improvements and your appreciations to keep on giving our guests a good service.
Hoping to meet you again in one of the Insotel hotels,
best regards.
Essex
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 October 2012

We (myself, husband, Dad, Mum & 20 month old toddler) have just returned from a one week stay at this hotel. There are some mixed reviews on here and although we were sure we would have a good family holiday we were concerned about some of the comments made. We really shouldn't have been.

I will try to cover all of the main areas in my review below but overall I would not hesitate to recommend the hotel to any of my friends with kids.

Food & Drink
As others have already said, this was plentiful and for the volume they are catering for, of quite good quality. We mostly ate in the buffet restaurant for breakfast and dinner - breakfast really did set you up for the day with fruit, pastries, toast, cold meat & cheeses, hot items and omlettes/eggs/pancakes cooked to order. They have a very clever system of rotating the three restaurants based on capacity so it never seems overcrowded or too busy at any time of the day. We ate here for lunch one day which was quite similar to the dinner.

At dinner there was always soup, freshly cooked bread, roast meats, pasta cooked to order, fresh fish/meat cooked to order, fries, veggies, potatoes, salad items and a huge variety of desserts. There was also a kids station which had the usual chips, nuggets and pasta with some vegetables but our daughter tended to eat from the main sections. There was beer, wine (yes, this is terrible and one thing they could definitely do better considering the quality of the other alcohol) and water/soft drinks with dinner. All soft drinks were branded.

We did eat in the Il Faro bar a few times for lunch and this was a nice change as it was table service and good food (pasta, pizza, burgers, sandwiches etc). We also ate in the Il Faro restaurant for dinner one evening which was again a nice change as it was table service but not very different to lunchtime to be honest. It was nice but my husband definitely preferred the buffet for dinner. And book early - it is the only a la carte out of season as the other is closed and has very limited space. We managed to get booked for our last night - and we booked on day two of our holiday!

As mentioned above, the alcohol was one of the most impressive things about this place (not for me as I am 21 weeks pregnant but my husband was very pleased!) as it was all named and a HUGE variety to choose from - Disaronno, Jim Beam, Ricard, Tia Maria, Baileys, lots of Whiskeys, Drambuie - you get the picture! Measures were equally impressive, not like you get in the UK!

Pools & Activities
There were two pools to chose from - the South Pool at the bottom of the resort and the North Pool up at the top of the (steep!) hill. The South Pool had more going on and had music throughout the day, with a little splash pool for the kids at one end and a deeper pool at the other. The North Pool was much quieter with a separate kids area to the adult pools and no music. We liked both as did our daughter.

We didn't get to do many activities sadly as we spent most of the time relaxing and entertaining our daughter but they had lots on offer and there was no pressure to get involved. A polite no was enough. They also had a rainy day programme which was well thought out.

Entertainment
The childrens entertainment was great. As other reviews have said, all the staff were amazing and worked so hard to make your stay enjoyable. They were brilliant with the kids and ran the mini disco each evening from 8.15 which our daughter adored.

The only thing to really let this area down was the lack of decent adult entertainment. There were a few professional shows in the week we were there, one excellent (the Temptations tribute) and the other OK (Abba tribute). Other than that, the shows were put together by the staff and although they did work really hard, some were a little amateur and we would have preferred some music instead. They were more suited for kids rather than adults. But I suppose this is down to preference.

Location/Resort
The Island is beautiful and the resort is really close to the airport - 20 minute transfer at most. But we never heard any aircraft noise at all. Punta Prima is small but has all you could need - shops, bars, cafes and a lovely beach which we went to a few days out of the week. The resort itself was very well kept and we saw people tending the gardens every day. There was no rubbish at all around the resort and this made for a very impressive setting.

As others have mentioned, the reosrt is on a very steep hill. We were lucky to have an apartment int he middle of the hill - which was great for the South Pool and bar/restaurant but not so much for the North pool and Il Faro. It was hard going, especially with a buggy and pregnant belly! My husband felt this was the one thing that would put him off bringing buggy age kids back but if you are fit it's no problem and we just took a break mid climb!

Rooms
We loved the rooms and found them to be very clean with everything you could need. Yes, there is no kettle but we just boiled water in the saucepan provided to make tea/coffee. And we found them to be very clean overall. My mum bought flash wipes with her following some of the reviews on here but we didn't have to use them at all. Our daughter was given a cot to sleep in but as she is already in a big bed, after the first sleepless night of her being in it we asked reception if they could make up the pull out bed instead which they did immediately and with no fuss. Sound sleep was then had by all! Rooms had AC and ceiling fans which were controlled in room and we found them to be in perfect working order - in fact too good at times!

Misc
Reception was great, nothing was too much trouble and they even gave us bus timetables on one overcast day when we went into Mahon. All staff we met were friendly and helpful and there was always an 'hola' to greet you.

The restaurant hosts were brilliant and our daughter loved one in particualr - Eva - who always took her by the hand and showed her to our table. She really helped make our holiday and deserves a special mention.

Recommendations
There are a few things we would suggest to make this holiday truly 5 star standard:

- More baby change facilities. It was very surprising that there was no baby change in the main toliets by the restaurants/main bar which led to us having to change our daughter on our laps. Fine for wees but I am not sure others want to smell what else she can produce, believe me......
- Better adult entertainment. More professional shows or just some music/bands would be great rather than the staff having to do their best and coming across as amateurish.
- Quiet bar/venue in the evenings. Our parents love kids but if they had come on their own would have appreciated a quiet bar where they could go to have a nice drink, maybe outside, away from the main venue where the shows/discos took place.
- Better quality wine! It's amazing that they would offer top shelf sprits but crap wine, particuarly in Spain.
- More english TV channels on the main TV. We had a good choice in our bedroom but only news and BBC2 on the other one. Always useful for rainy afternoons/nap times.

Despite these points, we would come back in the future, probably once our babies are able to walk themselves as otherwise my husband may get a hernia! A great family orientated resort in a beautiful location. Oh, and one more thing - I really wouldn't recommend it for couples wanting a romantic, kid-free break - this really is one for families!

Room Tip: We stayed in block 38-- which are in the middle of the hill so quite central. They were both ground...
3 Thank luvlyjubly101
Sol Falco All Inclusive
Sol Falco All Inclusive
#5 of 13 in Cala'n Bosch
4.0 of 5 bubbles 1,831 reviews

Been to Insotel Punta Prima Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!