“Adequate”
Review of Commodore Hotel

Commodore Hotel
Ranked #21 of 26 Hotels in Argassi
Reviewed 17 September 2010

Man I wish I had checked the reviews before going. We went self catering and on the whole it was fine. The beds, towels, bathroom and main room was always clean and tidy. Staff seemed relatively friendly but were a bit more concerned with their mates who hung around the bar/reception than customers. I would unfortunately like to reiterate the feelings expressed by many other reviewers of this hotel. It is a predominantly Eastern European hotel. We were not informed of this, expecting at the least a nice mix of cultures. We were however consistently frowned upon, glared at and ignored by all others using the hotel. Fortunately myself and my partner are a hardy sort and we weren't put down to much by the cold reception we got every time we passed people in the hall, went down to the pool or even held a door open for someone! However I can really see it spoil others holidays. The funny thing is the only small group of British people we did see also staying at the hotels (by themselves, in a part of the hotel predominantly abandoned by the non-English speaking customers) were immediately more welcoming, and despite not even introducing ourselves to each other made polite greeting and goodbyes.

Don't get me wrong I love experiencing other cultures, however I didn't go to Greece to be ostracized by Eastern Europeans. We ended up being overly-nice to people to see if we could get some sort of reaction out of them, other than the glaring stares! Short answer: it was kind of amusing to see them so confused when we smiled and said our 'hellos', 'pleases' and 'thank yous' as sweetly as possible. Its more than we got from them.

Other reviewers have commented on how the managers of the restaurants will stand in their doorways and call at you to come in, offering special deals and generally peddling their wares. I happen to think this is very quaint and in fact what I have come to expect from this kind of holiday. It can be quite hard to say no to them sometimes, but I one mediocre meal the entire time I was there and we ate out once or twice everyday for a week. They shouted from their doorways 10 years ago when i went as a teenager with my parents, and they'll hopefully still be doing it in 10 years time!

Lovely island, and the Greeks are generally very friendly and speak great English (as we knew no Greek!). Unfortunately the same can not be said for the other customers of the Commodore hotel. Nice enough, but I definitely wouldn't bother again, and neither should you.

Oh and yes it is half way up a hill. But I found that great for burning off that big meal we ate down in the main town.

• Stayed: October 2009, travelled as a couple
2  Thank SBailey84

Reviewed 8 September 2010

I went with my partner and 13 year old daughter for 2 weeks self catering. Firstly self catering is non existent, we had 1 knife, 2 spoons, 2 glasses and not alot else!!! The room was actually ok as they gave us a 1 bed apartment on the top floor with a view of the ocean which was lovely to wake up to.

This hotel is definatley geared up for eastern europeans, the staff are eastern europeans, the animation team are eastern europeans and all the signs at the bar etc and in eastern european!!! We were among a VERY small amount of English people, hence we hired a car for the whole period and spent 2 days max at the pool arera, even finding another hotel with a lovely quiet pool for the days we didnt go out and about. We must have covered the whole of the Island by the time we left.

Not sure what the all inclusive was like, but if you do go self catering and want to buy a drink at ther bar its 1.50 for a small plastic cup!!!!! Daylight robbery if you ask me.

Not a very well kept hotel and all the floor areas were very very slippery, alot of people fell over injuring themselves. Didnt see the pool being cleaned once while we were there although it was ok for the time we spent there. However the Captains pool which you can also use and is very close by was disgusting.

The entertainment was awful, again if you spoke in an eastern european it was probably fine.

To sum it up, lovely island but awful hotel!!!!

• Stayed: August 2010, travelled with family
1  Thank pasteljayLondon
Reviewed 20 June 2010

Rooms ok but not ground level as there is no privacy and lots of noise from kitchen and reception.Worst part was the food it was pretty disgusting and was like eating in a works canteen.The hotel caters for eastern europeans which make up 98 % of clientelle.Arrived sunday by wednesday the thought of eating there again was turning our stomachs so ate out for rest of stay,even though we were fully inclusive.What was not eaten for one meal was re-cycled for the next.Nice pool ,friendly reception staff but would not go there again if it was offered free.

• Stayed: June 2010, travelled with friends
1  Thank WilkoWales
Reviewed 16 January 2010

After staying at The Commodore for one week, i can only come away describing it as a dump.
As the coach rolled upto the hotel, we prayed it wasn't our stop!!!! Sadly it was. Our room was grotty and the bathroom worse. Bathroom also seemed to have an ant problem! Room was sweltering hot, we were told our room had air conditioning, but felt mislead as there was actually an extra cost, so it would have been really expensive! Toaster was broken, asked for replacement, and all we got was another broken toaster!
Polish kids were outside our room all night (until atleast 2am) shouting and singing on our balcony, very irritating!

Be warned, the bars and restaurants close to the hotel harrass you constantly, shouting at you to dine in their restaurants, we were so fed up with the money grabbing restaurant owners we had to find new routes back to the hotel, we did EVERYTHING to avoid them, we even talked in other languages etc, not to mention the Rossi Bar, AVOID AT ALL COSTS! don't be enticed by free drinks!

Forget your chances of a lay in, the cleaner flings the door open at the crack of dawn (without warning!) Towels werent changed, neither were the bins. Was awful as in zante toilet paper has to go into the bin rather than toilet. On the last day the cleaner wanted us out of the room, and there was no subtle hinting about it. Her and the manager were had a full blown arguement infront of us, in the end we were left packing our suitcases on the balcony!

I asked the receptionist if i could see the guest book, to which i got a blunt "no". She said i couldn't see it because she thought i wanted to write in it........ ( says it all really!)

TAKE EVERYONES ADVICE AND STAY AWAY FROM THIS PIG-PEN!!!!!!

• Stayed: July 2009, travelled with friends
2  Thank fandrewsNorwich
Reviewed 19 October 2009

Stayed here last year, Studios are basis but clean. Pool area is clean and tidy, it's one of the few pools I have ever went into but I enjoyed it. Hotel is located on a fairly steep hill, but very central to the resort. Plenty of shops and cafes in vicinity of hotel. Some of the apartments do not have a view at all, you could be facing the main complex end wall. Overall in my opinion the hotel is adequate for your needs, but I would not go back to it because of it's location.

• Stayed: July 2008, travelled with family
Reviewed 6 October 2009

Yes hotel is geared towards East Europeans. This is not to criticise these people but I feel the food is well below par. Nothing is labelled, little choice for every meal and dinner is simple, nothing special. Some staff standing arms folded watching Poles clear their own tables! Empty food in a trolley bin while 1 waitress was overworked. The rest, mainly men stood watching. Rooms are adequate but very basic. We had a single size room with a double bed & fridge, banging our legs to walk around it to get on balcony. Bathroom really small with shallow shower tray that can easily flood room, its about 2 inches deep. Drinks are ok for A.I. standard. Entertainment is ok as you don't get free entertainment in all hotels. You have a choice of pools in the Captains/Commodore complex. These are adequate but I hasten to add not once did we see anyone clean them or add chemicals. To clarify I think this hotel needs a good clean, some staff are excellent while others seem to do as little as possible. Management & owner need to spruce it up a bit, spend a little money repainting and on basic fixtures likes new doors. Some stff need re-training to come up to basic 3* standard customer service. We have visited Greece before in both 3* & 4 * hotels and I would down grade this to a 2* at present. It has all facilities but lacks the final touch in service, food and cleanliness.

• Stayed: May 2009, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 26 September 2009

Eastern Europeans rule this hotel. They party untill 3am. Play vollyball in the pool at 4am. Every the afternoon their Reps will remove life saving rings from the pools & tie them to the pool vollyball net so as they can be used for water polo matches (so drown in the morning if you must). A lot of Argassi has closed down due to all inclusive hotels taking the business according to the locals. The rooms are dirty, broken, smelly & damp. Towels & sheets are old & stained & don't look at the state of the pillow under the pillow case unless you have a vomit bag handy. We booked through Thomas Cook & feel we were misled.

• Stayed: September 2009, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Elvisthecockatiel
Also consider these accommodations in or near Argassi
Hotel Admiral Argassi
#13 of 13 in Alykes
Alexander Hotel
Alexander Hotel
#58 of 73 in Laganas

Been to Commodore Hotel? Share your experiences!