“Temperamental owner” 1 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #8 of 12 Sale B&B and Inns
Ifrane, Morocco
“Temperamental owner”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 December 2012

For the first two days I thought this was a really nice riad. It is clean, rooms on the ground floor are comfortable (albeit a bit stuffy, which is a consequence of rooms not having any real windows - though, the outside humidity might not make things better any way), the owners seemed nice. On my last day, however, I ordered breakfast for 730 am because I was leaving around 930 and wanted to have enough time to get ready, pack, etc. Fatima, the female owner, didn't mention anything about this being too early the night before when I ordered it. As I sat down in the morning Stephane stormed into the breakfast/reception area and started chiding me like I was a little child and yelling at me why would I want to have breakfast this early if I wasn't leaving till much later, that I would wake the entire riad up (when in fact, he was doing that...), that breakfast was between 8 and 10 (which no-one mentioned to me before!), and then left huffing and puffing. Yes, he actually puffed a few times. I felt completely humiliated. He ruined my entire stay in his hotel and I swear I will never again return to his hotel or recommend it to any one. Needless to say that I have not received an apology, either in person or in writing.

• Stayed November 2012, travelled with family
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
5 Thank Katja Z
belleetoile, Propriétaire at Riad a la Belle Etoile, responded to this review, 14 December 2012
We have a very nice but small hotel and to preserve the quietness of our hôtes, we have some fiew simple rules. For exemple, we propose an "à la carte" breakfast from 8 to 10h30 that is notify on the list we ask to complete on check-in. Sometimes we have some clients coming to work and needing an early breakfast. Naturally we accept to do it with pleasure. But you, madame, you ask for a breakfast at 7h00, Fatimzahra accept to prepare it at 07h30 and, on the morning, we did not see you before 9h00, probably in hollidays isn't it? You could receive respect from someone you are going to respect. Sincerly yours Stéphane.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (5)
Utrecht
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 November 2012

This a place to rememeber. Not easily to find in the narrow streets of Salé, but once found: paradise!
Stephane and Fati are best of both worlds. Silence is great, tranquility is heaven, roof terrace is made by Allah. Tramway stop (to Rabat) is 5 mins. walking, food stalls are abundant. Great roast chicken is around the corner.

• Stayed November 2012, travelled as a couple
Sea Girt, New Jersey
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 October 2012

A lovely little riad, lovingly restored, that made us feel like we right at home. Stephan was a gracious host, helpful and informative. His staff was just as gracious and helpful. Home cooked meals on the rooftop terrace were a delight and the view of the setting sun over the Atlantic is hard to beat. Our stay on the first floor, off the center courtyard was very quiet even though there was a family with a small child right next door.
Located close to the center of town and a short walk from the tram into Rabat it's ideally situated in Sale. We throughly enjoyed our all too short stay there.

Room Tip: Rooms on the second floor might be a bit quieter, but even on the first floor, we found our room to...
  • Stayed October 2012, travelled as a couple
San Francisco, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 October 2012

Riad à la Belle Etoile is a beautifully architected home with large rooms and tasteful decorations. The courtyard is a traditional Moroccan style veranda with beautiful tiles, plaster work, and wooden accents. The hotel staff is genuinely friendly and makes every effort so that the guests feel right at home. The bathrooms are well-equipped and have all the modern upgrades. Riad à la Belle Etoile is conveniently close to the medina of Sale and the tram station. Our stay was very enjoyable and in particular, hearty breakfasts on the roof were a memorable highlight.

• Stayed October 2012, travelled with family
New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 April 2012

Riad à la Belle Etoile is a gem near the edge of the medina in Salé, which I only stumbled on by accident, as I needed a place to stay convenient to catching an early morning flight from the nearby Rabat-Salé airport. I did not require much and was not expecting much in the accommodations, I just needed a clean, safe place to catch a few hours' sleep. Nevertheless, I was overwhelmed by the comfort of the room, the beauty of the interior décor of the riad, and especially the service of the staff. I was especially touched by the accommodation of my need to catch a taxi at 5:00am: not only did they arrange for the cab pickup and give me a polite wake-up knock on the door, they went out of their way to provide an earlybird coffee and breakfast that I had just barely enough time to enjoy before dashing off to the airport.

My only regret is that I could not stay longer, to have seen more of the Riad and of the port of Salé. I hope to remedy this omission on my next visit to Morocco. I highly recommend Riad à la Belle Etoile, so glad I could stay there on my final night in Morocco!

• Stayed March 2012, travelled solo
Dakar, Senegal
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 July 2011

this is a very nice place to stay! but a bit far from Rabat.
they were very responsive to my e-mails
Service was good: one of the staff took me to the bank when I realised they did not take credit cards.
As a business traveller, this is a bit small & far: you're not going to meet a lot of people there & they need to know in advance if you'll eat there: not always easy to plan! & no in room internet

• Stayed June 2011, travelled on business
Manchester, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 March 2011

We loved Riad à la Belle Etoile. There was no request we made that the staff did not do everything possible to accommodate. The Riad is an oasis which surpassed all of our expectations from setting, the beautiful decor, the service. We would absolutely recommend this place to anyone.

• Stayed January 2011, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Conrad007
Also consider these accommodations in or near Sale
Riad Marlinea
Sofitel Rabat Jardin des Roses
Belere Rabat
Belere Rabat
#13 of 41 in Rabat

Been to Riad a la Belle Etoile? Share your experiences!