“Lovely food & great atmosphere”
Review of The Blue Vinny

The Blue Vinny
Ranked #1 of 1 Restaurants in Puddletown
Price range: US$23 - US$32
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Reservations
Description: Roly and Helen Harries took over this traditional village pub in Puddletown, near Dorchester in May 2013. Keeping the very best of the old, they set about combining its warm, friendly country ambience with a cool, airy modern interior - part of a style that is reflected in their approach to the food and hospitality. Something for which this bar and restaurant is rapidly gaining a first-class reputation.The food is home cooked, and where possible the ingredients are seasonal and sourced locally from friends or trusted specialist suppliers. The wines have been chosen to complement the menu, and there is always a range of excellent guest ales on tap.Together with Head Chef Danny Durose and his team, they've created a menu that reflects their personal tastes, with a truly international approach - a style that owes as much to the hot islands of the Mediterranean as it does to the classic and everyday dishes of Britain and mainland Europe. Roly and Helen with Children Thomas and Benjamin are passionate about producing the very best food at accessible prices, as well as extending a warm and friendly welcome to locals and visitors alike.
Reviewed 31 May 2014

Took mum & friend here for a meal and we weren't disappointed. I had beef stroganoff - nice sized portion - served with rice & garlic bread. Mum had steak, which she enjoyed very much, and her friend had belly pork. Their portions were a little too much, but they both enjoyed the food. For sweet I recommend the stem ginger & honey cheesecake. Despite it's name this is not too sweet & extremely light.
I recommend booking as the place was extremely busy, all tables having 'reserved' on them.
If you are looking for food in the Puddletown area, do try the Blue Vinney.

RolyHarries, Owner at The Blue Vinny, responded to this reviewResponded 16 June 2014

Thank you for your review. Anthony our head chef was glad you all liked your meals and he said sorry that the portions were too big ! But he has just created a new pudding menu with a vannila cheese cake on ready for your next visit. Thank you, Roly Harries.

Reviewed 31 May 2014

We booked an evening meal at the Blue Vinny at a friend's recommendation and we were not disappointed. There was a warm welcome, food was of a high standard and we really enjoyed our evening.

Thank you for your great review. Its always nice to know that you had a good night and I have told Garth our manager about your review so that he can let all the staff know. Roly Harries

Reviewed 28 May 2014

We had heard lots of good reports about this restaurant and whilst it wasn't bad, it wasn't quite as good as expected.
The place was crowded when we arrived for our reservation, and this probably explains why the service was a tad slow.
The menu had many interesting dishes and there was also a good selection of daily specials. All the food we ate was cooked very well but some didn't seem to match the descriptions. My main course was Confit of Duck, with Apple Mash and Cider Jus; The duck was superb but I never got the slightest twang of apple in the mash or the Jus! My wife's starter of scallops lacked any flavour but her main course of sea-bass was described as delicious!
I would definitely give the Blue Vinny a second chance if we were ever in the area again. It isn't far away from being very good.

Thank you for your review. I have spoken to the chef who has taken your comments on board. We look forward to you trying us out again when you are in the area so that you can let us know if the changes have worked. Roly Harries.

Reviewed 24 May 2014

The food was Ok nothing amazing but also nothing awful. I ordered the lamb casserole and was deeply disappointed by the measly portion served in a ramakin dish. Husband had the burger which was a good sized portion, so maybe I just chose wrong. Wouldn`t go back as I think there are far better places to eat. Also we felt it was very pricey for what it was.

We are sorry your meal was not as large as you would have liked. We have always been known for our large portions so I am not sure what happened here? If you do give us another try then please just ask the staff which of our meals are the biggest and this may help your choice. We pride ourselves on local fresh produce which comes at a slightly higher cost. Roly Harries.

Reviewed 24 April 2014

Just 5 minutes off the A35 East of Dorchester, this is a real find! Extremely friendly and welcoming staff greeted us warmly despite it being a very busy lunchtime service.
We had booked and this seems a good idea for both lunch and dinner times and especially at weekends. My wife and I had a good size table for 2. Wines were reasonably priced and there was an excellent range of local beers. We could choose from a large "board of the day' including a range of baguettes all with excellent chips, and a lunchtime 3 course menu.
We were spoilt for choice but not disappointed by the good service or by the generous portions and beautifully cooked food. My scallops with samphire, bacon and new potatoes were perfectly cooked. I also noted that my excellent cup of expresso coffee was half the usual price in most restaurants. Thank you 'The Blue Vinny'.

1  Thank dinners

Its always nice to hear when you are doing something right so thank you. Roly Harries