“A lovely stay”

The Piddle Inn
Bicester, United Kingdom
“A lovely stay”
Reviewed 29 July 2012

My wife and I recently spent two nights at the Piddle Inn. Leaving the children with grand parents we were looking forward to some peace and quiet to which we received. The pub its self is traditional without being stuffy and our rooms were clean and well turned out. The staff were friendly and attentive while the twist on the Italian food was a refreshing change. The area offers excellent walks with the beach being just a short trip away. All in all a most enjoyable stay.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Gareth C

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (10)
Merida
Reviewed 28 July 2012

We are spanish and decided to take my daughters with me for a trip through the south of England ( I have visited the Uk in many occasions since 1977 but always to derbyshire) when we stopped just to spend a night at The Piddle Inn. My daughters 14 and 18 years old, were so delighted with the warmth and care that Joanne showed to us and the great dishes offered by Mario that I could not less than stay for 3 more days. I not only recommend this wonderful place, but I also have an excuse to come and visit these two wonderful hosts as soon as I can.
Martin Mayo

• Stayed June 2012, travelled with family
Shaftesbury
Reviewed 15 July 2012

I come down from North Dorset every few months to eat at this pub with friends because it has always had exceptionally good food and a nice atmosphere. I think the new owners may have made a mistake moving from central Manchester to a rural idyll. The food was mediocre (although the prices had remained the same) the atmosphere was lacking, the new owner Mario did not smile once throughout the evening and the service was dreadful - dirty glasses and crockery, table not set with enough cutlery and no condiments, even when requested. This pub has always been busy and buzzing when we've gone before. I wonder why the owners are moving away from what has been a very successful business that people have travelled to visit, into setting up, what appears to be a pizzareria?? Sorry, but we won't be going back

• Stayed July 2012, travelled with friends
4 Thank Sarah D
Cherry Hill
Reviewed 21 May 2012 via mobile

My wife and I spent two glorious days at the Piddle Inn. Joanna and Mario were excellent hosts. The room was airy, spacious, and well appointed. Loved Mario's breakfast and had some great ales as well. Loved the view of the beautiful countryside from our room.

Stayed May 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank chache47
Leeds, United Kingdom
Reviewed 17 May 2012

The food was lovely, home made and the lasagne the best ever that my husband had tasted. New owners of only 5 weeks and seem to have settled in really well. They had the well deserve night off on one of our nights and as a result there was a difference in how the food was served. Just under £6 for 4 rings of calamari seemed expensive but very tasty.

Two main complaints in addition to the service - only 2 coat hangers in the room and whilst Mario is from Italy the load Italian music over breakfast was too much!

I am sure they sort out the little problems and wish them all the best

• Stayed May 2012, travelled as a couple
Truro, United Kingdom
Reviewed 5 May 2012

We stayed for one night on the way to the Isle of Wight. Great welcome. Really great room with loads of space. The gorgeous barman sorted out the problem with our TV sound without fuss so it was sorted by the time we got back from having our dinner -food was fab too. Superb beer served from the barrel Breakfast was very filling and beautifully cooked. We were amazed when the boss told us he'd only been there for four weeks. A locals pub which also welcomes travellers. We'll come again if we're going that way.

Room Tip: Room 1 is very spacious. We didn't see the others though.
  • Stayed May 2012, travelled as a couple
Royston, United Kingdom
Reviewed 7 November 2011

We stayed for four nights at this Inn & can honestly say there was nothing to complain about (maybe the cheese biscuits not to my husbands liking). All the staff that we encountered were nothing but polite & very willing to help. The room was clean & well equipped. It had an amazing bath, my husband is 6' 4" & he could lay back & soak........the water was extremely hot. Breakfast offered a good variety as did the evening menu. All well cooked & piping hot. Set in a lovely location, racehorses wandering through the River Piddle in the morning..most unexpected. They are also a dog friendly establishment. Will most certainly use them again if in Dorset.

Room Tip: We were in the Blue room.....bed massive but a touch on the hard side.
  • Stayed November 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank GillRoystonHertsUK
Also consider these accommodations in or near Piddletrenthide
Best Western Wessex Royal Hotel
#3 of 45 in Dorchester
Brace of Pheasants
Brace of Pheasants
#1 of 1 in Plush

Been to The Piddle Inn? Share your experiences!