“Poor service, bad food and not a pleasant experience.”
Review of The Poachers Inn

The Poachers Inn
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Peterborough
“Poor service, bad food and not a pleasant experience.”
Reviewed 5 August 2014 via mobile

On arrival we felt the atmosphere in the restaurant was lacking. .. especially for a Saturday night. .. No music and lots of flies. I ordered a poached egg on asparagus with hollandaise sauce but the hollandaise was clearly split as it was lumpy. I mentioned this to the waitress who apologised but nothing was done. My main meal was described on the menu as roasted sliced peppers, roasted garlic and slow roasted tomatoes on a bed of cous cous. What arrived was a plate full of raw peppers, raw red onion and spring onions with a tower of cold cous cous in the middle. I was not expecting the dish to be cold and it did not taste nice. I complained and was offered another meal but I'm vegetarian and the only other option was risotto which I didn't want. I felt that no effort was made to help me and I was then charged for both meals that I did not eat. My husband had pork belly which was not very well cooked either. Overall our anniversary meal was such a disappointment. The manager did take my main meal off the bill and listened to my concern but again nothing was done. We would not return.

• Visited August 2014

Bournemouth, United Kingdom
“Good Steak”
Reviewed 5 August 2014 via mobile

Very impressed with the Steaks, cooked to perfection and seasoned very well. I could not fault anything in this place, we will be returning.

Preston, United Kingdom
“Good service but poor meal”
Reviewed 27 July 2014

Seven of us dined in the restaurant in mid July and not one of us could say the food was any better than a 3/10.
The food in the restaurant doesn't come cheap and one would expect food with taste, on that we were all very disappointed. The service by the young staff was excellent but the meal rates alongside those served up in a works canteen.
I will not be dining there again.

• Visited July 2014
1 Thank nam-thip
west norfolk
“Vaguely disappointing”
Reviewed 27 June 2014

We visited the Poachers in June 2013 and it was so good we went twice in one week. So, when we found ourselves quite nearby again this June we booked to go back. Whilst the place is still immaculate and the service efficient and friendly, we were a bit disappointed. Firstly, there was absolutely no atmosphere in the restaurant - not even piped music. All in all a bit of a silent affair! The food was fine but quite frankly not up to last year's standard. Three of our party particularly wanted the Belly Pork dish that they'd so enjoyed last year. However. The chef has changed and so has the dish - it was pretty fatty and came with mash and carrots, as opposed to the parsnip chips of last year. Also, it was served with two miniature toffee apples which quite frankly challenged the teeth and weren't worth the effort. The beefburger is still as good - quite obviously home made, although the chips were so-so. The smoked haddock was just a little tail-end piece of fish which made the dish look pretty expensive for what it was. The desserts were mostly fine - the strawberry cheesecake and lemon tart were good and the ice cream still of good quality. One of our party had the sticky toffee pudding however which was found to be rather dry and lacklustre - not sure if it was bought in but it certainly appeared so. So, all in all, whilst the food was acceptble it was a disappointment after last year and we wouldn't make such an effort again, particularly as we didn't like the silence and lack of atmosphere. What a shame.

• Visited June 2014
1 Thank familygroup98
Bournemouth UK
“Never a disappointment”
Reviewed 18 May 2014 via mobile

Having visited The Poachers Inn before, today was no exception, as always the staff were most helpful and
the Sunday lunch was above expectations, a most pleasant place for a country visit, with no need to rush your meal and all in very pleasant surroundings with the river Piddle flowing fast through the grounds of this lovely country inn.

Visited May 2014