“Should have stayed at home and cooked!”

Restaurant at The Piddle Inn
Price range: US$51 - US$51
Cuisines: International
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Yeovil, United Kingdom
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Should have stayed at home and cooked!”
Reviewed 5 April 2013

I'd reserved in advance but needn't have, there were only about 12 other customers there. The owner had a brisk manner from the start and we were repeatedly pestered to make our food choices which made us feel like a nuisance. When the food arrived it was all badly overcooked. My partner's Italian pasta bake was burnt on top and the pasta contained had dried out. The chicken breasts in the other 3 meals were all like rubber and impossible to chew like they were over microwaved. My parents ate what they could but I chose to send mine back as it was very unpleasant. They offered me a replacement meal which I declined because the idea was to eat together. The desserts are clearly bought in pre-packed, tiny and tasteless. We were all disappointed by the experience. Obviously I did not pay for the meal that was sent back and the owners did not charge for my sweet as a gesture. The bill was over £65 so I think they did pretty well really for bad service and bad food. Seriously there are so many other options people - just don't go there!!

• Visited December 2012
1 Thank ShelleyB18

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room Tips
Eastbourne
“Not up to the standard of the accommodation, unfortunately.”
Reviewed 4 March 2013

We stayed at the Piddle Inn, and the accommodation was very good, but the restaurant just didn't reach the same standard. We were going to eat in the bar on the first night (we had a dog with us so couldn't take her into the restaurant) but with the TV on it just didn't have the country pub feel so we went down the road to Cerne Abbas. To be honest, the TV's (there were 2 in a fairly small area) seemed to be there for the benefit of the staff rather than the customers, except when the rugby was on when 2 people came in to watch. On the second night Mario kindly said that we could leave the dog in the room whilst we ate, so we tried the Friday night offer of a sirloin steak for £9.95. The presentation was poor, with chips, mushrooms and tomatoes but no peas, and the steak was not at all tender. At least mine was cooked OK, but my husbands was overcooked and very tough so we sent it back and didn't pay for it. The whole meal, from quality to the way it was presented, was very poor. It was a shame, as the restaurant itself is quite nice. It just lacks the professional touch - for example, tidy up the handwriting on the blackboards. On weekdays there is a happy hour and the place gets quite busy with locals but no-one seems to stay to eat - like us, they seemed to go up the road. The standard of the food would need to dramatically improve for the restaurant side to reach its potential. What a shame!

• Visited March 2013
Spean Bridge, United Kingdom
“Good value for money”
Reviewed 25 February 2013

Went for a lunchtime drink and food (also to watch the rugby match on tv), the greeting was very warm and the food menu vast. We all tried something different and none of us were disappointed or hungry once we had finished. We all enjoyed our visit and would definitely go back if in the area.

• Visited February 2013
Birmingham, United Kingdom
“Hardly Italian ..”
Reviewed 4 February 2013

Decided to grab something quick to eat at The Piddle Inn, as it was a nice place to have a pint or few. Had a lasagne tihnking i would be safe, as it's typical pub grub and also cooked by the Italian owner/chef. It was the weirdest lasagne i had ever had and was also probably the most greasiest thing i have ever had!Really didn't enjoy any of the food and felt very sick for the rest of the night. Was massivly shocked that an Italian would serve up food like that!

• Visited August 2012
Melton Mowbray, Leics., England.
“Mouldy food!”
Reviewed 28 September 2012

My wife & I, together with my step-father visited here recently, not knowing it had changed hands to what is now basically an Italian restaurant selling beer.

Being an elderly gentleman who prefers to stick to good old UK meat and two veg type meals, my step-father was quite lost with the Italian menu, but I noticed there was steak & kidney pie available. I wasn't prepared to taste it as I cannot stand the taste of kidney, so can only accept what he said was valid in that: - "That was the worst tasting pie I have ever eaten!"

I enjoyed my halibut, I must admit, but their downfall at this place came when they served my wife (a just recently retired chef in a four star hotel) a lasagne with at LEAST an inch of green mould growing on the top.

My wife bitterly complained and apart from a cursory "I am so sorry, I'll tell the chef to get a new pair of glasses", she was offered no other form of compensation or apology. Whilst her replacement meal was OK , though in her own words , "It wasn't as good as my own lasagne, and in any event, the serving of the bright green carpet completely put me off my meal."

AS we left, I told the owner that instead of telling the chef to get new glasses, he ought to go to Specsavers himself and get a new pair, seeing as he'd served the lasagne to my wife and hadn't apparently noticed what looked like a tennis court on top! I also made the comment that he ought to use his newly acquired glasses to find himself a new chef.

After leaving The Piddle Inn, my wife advised me on the food quality checks that are standard in all decent food establishments, such as food rotation in freezers and temperature probing etc.
She stated that it was obvious no such checks were being made at this place, because in order to get a growth of mould one inch high it would have taken at least a week. She's been in the catering industry since she left school in 1964 and finally retired last February as chef in a very high ranking hotel. She assured me that such things should not and could not happen if food rotation checks had correctly been carried out, and that it appeared the management of The Piddle Inn were simply not keeping tabs on the kitchen staff in order to ensure they were doing their daily checks.

I was so disgusted that when we arrived back at my step-fathers flat, I personally telephoned the local Environmental Health Office who said they would arrange to make an unannounced visit and inspection. I've not yet heard back from them, but would sincerely recommend that
no-one even THINKS of eating here unless they are assured that a new chef in in residence, and possibly, better still, new owners.

Considering the old adage that "The book stops at the top", I doubt very much indeed if any of us would ever again visit "The Piddle" whilst these two Italians are still in charge.

They obviously don't know how to control their kitchen staff.

2 Thank Meltonman