Hotel Varmahlid
  • Restaurant
  • Free Internet
Hotel Blanda(Blonduos)
  • Breakfast included
All reviewslambplace to stayfriendly hotelconvenient locationample spacelong drivehot waternorthern lightsreykjavikhillshowersupermarketfurnishingsvalleychallenge
Reviewed 16 May 2014

I booked this hotel back in October for a stay in May through Booking.com. We arrived early in the afternoon and would have been close to the first to check-in. Our room was at the back of the hotel with a view into a residential back yard. This was the first hotel since we left Reykjavik where we didn't have a fantastic view. The view towards the front of the hotel is beautiful and our booking stipulated views. The windows were fitted with block-out curtains and no sheers so for privacy we had to have the curtains shut.

This was also the first characterless hotel we stayed at in our more than a week travelling around Iceland and one of the more expensive. The hotel boasts a complete renovation in 2012 but the bathroom was original and very poorly designed and cramped. The duvet consisted of some nondescript material (certainly not down) and was blue inside a white cover.

Dinner was unpleasant and I felt ripped off for the high price which was equivalent to what you would pay in Reykjavik. Breakfast was very basic.

My advice would be to continue driving as there is probably no other choice here.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 29 September 2013

Just back from an 18 day tour of the ring road. This was one of the best places we stayed. It's also an excellent place to break the long (and not very interesting) drive between Reykjavik and Akureyri. Warm and friendly staff. Free bottle of wine and chocolates waiting in our room on arrival, as they knew it was our birthday (my partner and I share the same birthday). Free entrance to the local swimming pool up the hill from the hotel. Fast, free wifi. Kettle in room (can be a rarity in Iceland!). A fantastically-powerful, sulphurous shower! Curtains that actually shut the light out. Good breakfast, including hot porridge (the only hotel we stayed in that served this). Excellent restaurant - the rhubarb pudding we had was one of the best puddings I have ever had in my life.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 1 September 2013

Hotel is located between Reykjavik and Akureyri along the road nr 1. Perfect place to stay when travelling along road nr1. Free entrance to the local swimming pool for guest who stay in the hotel. Good free WiFi internet. Nice and clean rooms.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 28 July 2013

We stayed here for one night on our trip around Iceland. The woman who checked us in was friendly and welcoming. I think this was the largest room we had in any of our hotels. The bed was comfy and the blackout drapes were the best of any hotel we stayed in. It actually was dark in our room when I closed them!

The room had a kettle for making coffee and tea--and something I saw only here--decaf instant coffee. I was beginning to think nobody in Iceland drank decaf!

The room was spotlessly clean. The only negative--and this isn't the hotel's fault--is that the shower smelled more of sulfur than at any other hotel we were in. The shower is nice and hot, but you won't want to linger in it.

The restaurant was wonderful. They use local suppliers and organic products when available. We had a good dinner--my lamb was outstanding and the chocolate trio dessert was a chocoholic's delight! The breakfast the next morning was excellent, with a nice variety of fresh breads along with the usual cold items.

I definitely would stay here again!

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Kathy49NJ
Reviewed 1 July 2013

Hótel Varmahlíð does not win any points for architecture but makes up for it with its warm, gracious staff and an exceptional restaurant. The rooms are comfortable and very clean. Wifi internet and a lovely breakfast are included in the room rate. One stays here to either punctuate a long drive or to explore the scenic offerings of the Skagafjörður area nearby. I have stayed here before my latest stay this June and have carried very pleasant memories on every occasion.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled solo