“Relaxing when you want - Exciting when you want”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Velez-Malaga
Bambu Boutique Apartments Exclusively for Women
Mannheim, Germany
“Relaxing when you want - Exciting when you want”
Reviewed 18 June 2014

Don't let first impression fool you. Remember that when you arrive you are tired from a day of travel and something of a rather confusing drive. We arrived late in the evening and I was a little taken aback by the apparent remoteness of the resort. In the end, that first impression wasn't really accurate.

Twenty minutes drive to the nearest beach. Ten minutes to stores (20 if you want a really big shopping area). And everything else well within reach for people who like to adventure a bit.

The resort itself is quiet and secluded. The kitchens are equipped with cook-tops and electric kettles. Coffee gets made in a cafetiere which was a nice difference from home and lent to the "otherness" of our relaxing getaway. We had two rooms while there, The first was a larger apartment with a view to the back. It was spacious and comfortable...almost making us reconsider the upgrade to the private terrace suite we had booked for the second week (it was occupied in the first week). The private terrace suite was even better than the first suite which was a really nice surprise. Well worth the little bit extra and the wait.

We went to five different beaches while there and all were very nice - some more secluded and quiet, some more commercial and active. We ate in Nerja and Torre del Mar frequently. Truthfully, I had a hard time spending money. Everything was so inexpensive compared to home (Germany). Anyway, I could give you lots of advice about this and that restaurant, but I should just say that the best tapas are on the square in Nerja and the best atmosphere is in either Malaga city center or Torre del Mar. I must make a special comment about Tanit in Torre del Mar. Aside from the great service, the food was extremely interesting and well-presented. Give it a try.

Service at Bambu was unobtrusive, but available when required. The pool is crystal clear and excellently maintained. The snacks, beers and wine at the cash bar are cheap. If you need a Coke in the middle of the night or you run out of beer, you won't feel set upon by the prices and you will never open an empty fridge.

Overall, I recommend it. Remember what you are buying. This is not some city center five star. I think, however, it is more than luxurious enough for all but the fussiest of people and I was every bit as satisfied, perhaps even more so, with Bambu as I have been with any other vacation hotel.

Room Tip: Number 6 is very good (I don't remember the name), but Maroma is WELL worth the extra money! You...
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Melissa M

Families
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (37)
  • Polish first
Reviewed 15 June 2014

I had a brilliant week at this beautiful place. I went on my own and I appreciated the well organised programme as well as meeting some lovely women. Everything you need is provided by the friendly, capable hosts, but you never feel intruded upon. Highly recommended, now that I have discovered it I would definitely go back, maybe for another writers' retreat or to try out one of the other holidays.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled solo
Birmingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 12 June 2014

This is a perfect place to stay if what you are after is a relaxing holiday in a beautiful location with like-minded women. You can meet people from all over the world and spend as much or as little time with them as you/they want! Don't go here if you are after 5* luxury and amenities on your doorstep. This is not what its about. The nearest shop is a 20 minute walk and a car is very handy for restaurant trips in the evening (although those with a car are usually only too happy to offer lifts, so a car is not a "must have"). Its all about peace & tranquility in the daytime (except for the volleyball game with was a little loud!) and the evenings are what you make of them. I was here for my anniversary and one of the hosts, Catherine, went out of her way to help me plan a Champagne surprise for my partner. To balance this review, my only quibbles would be that some of the decor needs a little attention. The mosquito screens and sun loungers are past their best and the mattress in room 1 is not the comfiest.

Room Tip: Terrace room is best in resort and room 1 is the only room with an oven in its kitchen
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
Raleigh, North Carolina
Reviewed 11 June 2014

Bambu felt like Mount Olympus, surrounded by avocado groves and a spectacular view. It's secluded from the usual touristy resort area, but an easy drive to Malaga, the beach or Granada. We also ate at a fabulous Indian restaurant about 30 minutes away. The apartments are clean and well stocked. The hosts friendly, but not intrusive.

It's the perfect setting for a group of friends.You can each have your own rooms for privacy, but enjoy communal meals at a huge tiled table in the courtyard. The pool and honor bar stocked with beverages and snacks is perfect to hanging out together.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
Northampton, United Kingdom
Reviewed 16 May 2014

...they would probably be like the one I went on in April at Bambu!
I booked a holiday at Bambu on a bit of a whim, and I'm so glad that I did. A brilliant week, and just what I needed. Bambu is a great little place run by a lovely couple who will go out of their way to make you feel welcome without being imposing. It's not fancy five star accommodation, it is a little retreat near a village in real Spain where you can relax with fellow lesbians in beautiful surroundings. I felt at home as soon as I arrived at Bambu in my hire car when I was greeted by Catherine who helped carry my somewhat overweight suitcase to the terrace room. Best room in the place, with great views from the terrace.
The other women on the week were lovely and we had such a good time together, despite the fact that we were all of different ages and from very different lives. Somehow, it just worked! The walks on the week were of a fairly easy standard yet offered amazing views. Myself and a fellow guest decided to go on a walk by ourselves on one day, to the top of nearby La Maroma. A slightly more arduous walk but completely doable and well worth the effort. I believe Catherine and Susanne will be offering this as an optional walk for the next walking holiday. If you're fit enough, do it!
I saw a review on here that moaned about the décor and that Bambu is isolated etc. Without wanting to be rude...well what did they expect? Bambu doesn't pretend to be anything it's not! The décor is to Catherine and Susanne's taste, which obviously won't appeal to every single traveller, and yes it's isolated, that's kind of the whole point...maybe think about reading the website of the place you are visiting before booking your next holiday.
The only thing I would say...just so that the review sounds balanced...be warned there are wheels on the bed in the terrace room, (but not to my knowledge in the other rooms) May be these could be removed or breaks put on them? Every time I tried to sit up in bed and lean on the headboard the bed rolled across the room! I suppose it kind of added a level of excitement to my morning tea in bed!
Thank you Catherine and Susanne for one of the best weeks of my life.

Room Tip: If you can afford it and are OK with walking up a very short flight of stairs go for the terrace roo...
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled solo
2 Thank ktm19852014
Ipswich, United Kingdom
Reviewed 28 April 2014

One week at Bambu and it changed my life, I went there on my own and met seven complete strangers and now have seven friends for life, varying ages and from all over England, our paths would never have crossed back here in blighty, the week was amazing from start to finish, Susanne met me at the airport all smiles and made me feel totally at ease, the walks were wonderful and no-one was made to do more than they felt comfortble with, we opted out one day and had a shopping trip to the beach, I laughed so much I cried, the atmosphere was relaxed and I felt safe and secure, I went there a complete emotional wreck but everyone had stories and they made me feel so confident and it was good to talk to like minded ladies who didn't judge, the views were amazing, Susanne and Catherine couldn't do enough for you, they are a great couple and very helpful, I met someone special so it was life changing in more ways than one, I will return but hopefully next time as part of a couple and not on my own.........highly recommended, can't wait to go again :-)

• Stayed April 2014, travelled solo
1 Thank Tracey C
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 16 March 2014

I had been meaning to visit Bambu for ages and I'm so glad I finally did it. The alternative was Barbados but not meaning to sound trite but Bambu was on a par if not better! I went as a solo traveller and luckily the three other German guests staying a couple and a singleton were lovely and made me feel very included. I even learned some German. Susanne was away but Catherine was there. she picked me up from Malaga airport no trouble at all. Another day she drove us all to the Alhambra which we visited while she went skiing in the mountains. It was a 1hr 45 min drive. We all had supper in benomocarra later. I also spent one night in Malaga but was so happy to return to the tranquility and beauty that is Bambu. Highly recommended and this is from someone who has travelled a lot and stayed in some fabulous places.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled solo