“Our perfect honeymoon - we loved it so much we stayed longer!”

Hotel Palacio Blanco
Ranked #2 of 5 Hotels in Velez-Malaga
Reviewed 16 August 2011

I have never missed a hotel before after leaving - but I miss the Palacio Blanco! I glanced at a photo of the rooftop pool the other day and I think I heart lurched at how much I wished I were there.
My husband and I spent the first week of our honeymoon at the Hotel Palacio Blanco and could not have had a better time. It was exactly the honeymoon we wanted, always having the option of a quiet day reading by the pool, or a day of activity exploring Velez-Malaga and nearby towns.
The owners, Nick and Lesley, are friendly, charming and neverendingly helpful. Providing excellent service for their guests is their top priority and it showed every day we stayed there. They helped us with excellent suggestions on where to eat, how to use local transport and what to see in the area. Plus they are just plain friendly people, always with a happy hello and a bit of a chat in the morning at breakfast.
The hotel itself is stunning. Impeccably clean, inviting and comfortable. It also feels very private whether having breakfast in the courtyard or sunning yourself on the breathtaking pool deck. It truly has that special feeling of a boutique hotel.
There were days we barely left the hotel at all - the honesty bar, sun loungers on the rooftop deck, and the pool were enough to keep us happy. But the days we ventured out we had a lovely time. There is plenty to see in the area, whether you just want to explore a quaint andalucian village, visit the beach or explore the nearby caves at Nerja you won't run out of activities.
My husband and I left the last few days of our honeymoon unbooked because we figured we would pick up some local tip of a nearby gem of a seaside town we might visit to close out our trip. By the end of our first week we knew we just wanted more of the Palacio Blanco so after visting Granada we went back to Velez for an extra two nights at the Palacio Blanco. It was heaven and we will definitely be going back on an anniversary in the future.

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank KirstyJefferies

Reviewed 15 August 2011

We can't really add more than to say that the previous good reviews are to be believed. Very friendly welcome, lovely building and surroundings. We really enjoyed the authentic Spanish town of Velez Malaga and the local cuisine. Agree with the previous reviewer that the beach club at Torre del Mar also worth a visit, it's very friendly, the fish on the menu was superb every day. One of the most surprising things about our visit to the area was how cheap it was to eat out. No tourist rip off prices in the local restaurants. We managed very well using public transport including trains, trams and bus. We would definitely go back to this hotel again.

Stayed: August 2011, travelled with family
1  Thank SophieG1
Reviewed 5 August 2011

We celebrated my wifes birthday here for three nights July 28 to 31st . After seeing the Grand Desgns program all those years ago.

Everything at this hotel is as expected from the excellent reviews. The building is extremely unique and superbly furnished with contemporary yet comfortable design.
Captivating artwork adorns the walls and the ambience is of a peaceful retreat which instantly transforms you into a relaxed state, we wanted to move in!

Nick and Lesley were perfect hosts and on our arrival picked up exactly the type of stay we wanted a relaxing few days away from it all. I can confirm that the hotel is only 30 Mins. From the airport which means you can get the most out of a short stay and get settled in quickly. Nick recommended a beach club reachable by taxi at the end of the street for 10 Euros which was excellent and close by. It had a bar waiter service, luxurious sunloungers and delicious food, we liked it so much that we stayed right through to the night on the first visit and went down again on our last day [Have included a picture]. If you speak to the barman he will organise a Taxi to collect you and take you back to the hotel. Can recommend the first Tapas Bar on the left for lunch as you turn right down the street and also the new Italian Restaurant both really good value and very friendly service. Would have liked to have spent more time meandering around the town but ran out of time as there are lots of squares, churches and interesting bars to enjoy.

We had bedroom 7 on the roof terrace a stunning room with a very comfortable double bed, seating area and huge walk in shower, I can highly recommend this room.

Celebrated my wifes birthday in the Jacuzzi with a bottle of complimentary Cava from Nick and Lesley in the evening overlooking the rooftops, a perfect ending to a perfect stay. A five star weekend, simple, intimate and authentic, book it and enjoy!

Room Tip: An authentic spanish town not for people who are looking for english tourist establishments.
  • Stayed: July 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 12 July 2011

We can't praise our stay here highly enough. Nick was extremely welcoming, & after a thousnd kilometre drive, it was great to be immediately offered a cool drink. Our room was beautifully furnished, & the bed wonderfully comfortable. I can also recommend the tapas bar down the road. Unfortunately I lost my note book on this trip, but I remember part of the name- "de las monchas"!
Nearly forgot to mention the tasty breakfast and the painting we bought as a permanent reminder of our stay.

We would certainly stay here again.

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Sednem
Reviewed 6 July 2011

Have just returned from a five day break in the wonderful palacio blanco hotel in Velez. Had a wonderful time. Palacio Blanco cannot be faulted as a place to spend a break away. Rooms exceptionally comfortable, spotlessly clean, beautifully furnished. Lesley and Nick could not have been more welcoming. We were two females there to celebrate a significant birthday and found Velez a charming area, not touristy which lent itself to experiencing a real taste of Spain The local people were friendly but we found that there were very few people who spoke English in this area so a language book could be useful but Nick and Lesly are more than helpful with advice for where to eat and how to find various places. Would highly recommend Velez for a girly weekend, it was relaxing and entertaining and we will definitely return.

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled with friends
2  Thank TJCOOL
Reviewed 4 July 2011

My partner and I stayed at PB in April for a short break. The hotel is a true boutique hotel in my view, in that it is individual, private, small and stylishly unique. The rooms are very spacious and atmospheric with extremely comfortable beds that make it hard to get up in the morning. The location is great in that it gives you a flavour of the real traditional Spain with Tapas bars that cater for the locals and therefore are truly authentic and offer good value. There is a tram from the centre of the town which takes you down to the beach (approx 10 minutes) which is unspoilt and of higher standard than most of the touristy beach strips further down the coast. And last but not least I found the proprietors (Nick and Lesley) to be highly professional and personable ensuring a first class service without ever being intrusive.
I will be going back!

Stayed: April 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 11 June 2011

What sold me on the Hotel Palacio Blanco was the wonderful feeling of relaxation which washed over me within minutes of arriving: I could have happily spent weeks sitting on a comfy giant bean bag on the roof terrace drinking an ice cold beer watching swifts diving and swooping overhead. The room was exceptionally comfortable - I've never slept in a better hotel bed and I reckon I'm very fussy. The relaxed atmosphere was ensured by the easy hospitality of Nick and Lesley. Great breakfasts and coffee.

Room Tip: Ask Nick & Lesley for tips on local tapas
  • Stayed: April 2011, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Kateorams
Also consider these accommodations in or near Velez-Malaga
B bou Hotel Cortijo Bravo
#1 of 1 in Los Romanes
Miraya Hotel
Miraya Hotel
#3 of 5 in Torre del Mar

Been to Hotel Palacio Blanco? Share your experiences!