“Terrific Seafood”

Dining options: After-hours, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Amersfoort, The Netherlands
“Terrific Seafood”
Reviewed 18 November 2011

This restaurant was booked by the receptionist of L'Orque Bleue, the hotel on walking distance both at the harbour/canal. We did visit it twice already and again it was SUPER. Fresh and tasty seafood of high quality and the prices are more than acceptable! Local wines are a surprice. Do not let the waiters rush you; step down on the speed otherwise you will be out in no time and there is lots to enjoy and looking at. If you tell them to slow down then they understand and let you have a wonderfull evening eating out and enjoy life at it should be in the south of France.

• Visited June 2011

New Bern, North Carolina
“Fabulous experience”
Reviewed 29 May 2011

I arrived early (7pm) since I had not eaten lunch and was starved. The sous chef was kind enough to interpret the entire menu to me (my French is horrible) and make some suggestions. As a result, I can only describe the food the way he described it to me.

I started with a "funny little cheese dish" that was made as follows: carmelized onions slathered between two halves of a brie round then swallowed in phyllo dough and baked in a hot oven. The phyllo was perfect, the cheese "just" melted and the onions devine. In all, my "funny" little starter looked like a Christmas cracker. I had a ovely white wine with it (whatever he brought me).

Next came the fish. Seemed like a snapper or trout. Filleted and sandwiched with salmon mousse and a very light and savory sauce. This was served with tiny crepe rolls filled with black and green olive tapenade. The baguette was perfect. Crisp but not dry and definitely fresh not chewy. The dessert was a sampler tray with fresh fruit (strawberry, star fruit and melon), a white chocolate mousse with dark chocolate top, fresh coconut nougat (not too sweet) between layers of chocolate crumb and top. Then this phyllo filled wigh custard -- I thought I'd died and gone go heaven. Of course thee was the obligatory espresso. The chef also came out to make sure I was happy.

The meal was 28 Euro, plus wine and cofffee.

• Visited May 2011
London UK
“Very good value”
Reviewed 22 April 2011

We stayed for 5 days in Sete in early April – it was a fairly quite time of year with not all restaurants open – Once we had got our bearings it appeared that the main road for Restaurants is Quai General Durand – it overlooks the water front and is lined with Restaurants.

Some are better than others – some are very large and have very large menu’s catering for all tastes – others are much smaller and more personal with smaller more refined menus most though specialising in fish which they buy from the fish market 5 minutes away.

Le Marie Jean is on Quai General Durand – it’s a smaller restaurant with a very good value but small menu – 14.90 Euro’s for three courses including a glass of wine.
We started with oysters & fish soup, I had a lamb dish & my wife had mussels stuffed with pork & pasta and we finished with chocolate tart.

The service was very quick and the food was excellent – so for a cheap meal we would recommend this restaurant.

• Visited April 2011