“Friendly and Welcoming”

and 1 more site!
Gouvia Hotel
Ranked #16 of 17 Hotels in Gouvia
Reviewed 30 April 2011

We stayed there for 1 week during their greek easter a wonderful time full of celebrations.
The hotel which is under new managementl had been recently renovated and the staff was very friendly and helpful. With a great choice of food and local wines it was a perfect stay. The beach just 150 mtrs away and central for bars clubs and tavernas. We will definitly come back .

Room Tip: Central location ideal for touring the island
  • Stayed: April 2011, travelled as a couple
5  Thank deblew100

Reviewed 27 January 2011

I ve stayed in Gouvia hotel for one week in october 2010.Although it was end of season the hotel was in a good condition, friendly atmosfere and we had choice of food in our evening meal and the breakfast was quiet good.The swimming pool was very clean,but the water was a bit cold.We ve been told that the hotel was renovated the winter of 2010 and has a new manager.
The money we payed was good for this hotel for what we get.
Maybe once more in the future.

Giorgio Rogeri

• Stayed: October 2010, travelled as a couple
4  Thank giorgiorogeri
Reviewed 15 September 2008

I eventually came to like this hotel in a strange way. As I was on a budget and only using the hotel as a base in a central resort, I was prepared to put up with a lot. The location is great as it is right in the centre of quite a pleasant resort of Gouvia. Shops, bars, and two nightclubs are within a few steps, and yes there was a bit of noise as result, but not that intrusive. The room was small, basic but clean. The bathroom was poor, barely room to manouvre, the shower attachment and curtain were like something you’d see at a car boot sale. No soap, no hairdryer, no toiletries. As with most of Greece, shower curtains are there for modesty rather than retaining water, so expect a wet bathroom floor. There were water marks on the bathroom ceiling that just needed a fresh lick of paint, redundant wiring left loose, and what really was an aweful thought, a redundant soil pipe coming out of the wall that you could hear voices from some other bathroom. The owner could have those things tidied up by a tradesman in about an hour, but looked as if it had been like that for years. The attention to detail was to say the least was zero.

The breakfast ‘buffet’ was miserable. White bread, butter, jam, 2 dispensers of cheap brand cornflakes, preformed ham, rubbery thin cheese, Tea, coffee, orange squash & milk. And that was it, nothing else. The milk for the cereal was usually at room temperature. Again, they could so easily have made this experience much better just by having choice of cereal, a toaster, and for goodness sake, keep milk refrigerated!.

However, if you go for half board, you get a much better experience. Evening meal was a set menu, you don’t get a choice, nor told what you’re getting until its put in front of you. I’m a fussy eater, and was able to eat the 3 courses, but I would have liked to know what I was about to be served with and possibly given a choice. Wouldn’t it be nice for them to put the menu up on the wall before dinner.?

I could see many ways of improving the customer experience at this hotel for very little investment, but the never smiling receptionist was bigger than me, a chain smoker and quite grumpy, so I kept my suggestions to myself and made a dignified exit. Would I return?, only if I couldn’t find anything else at the price I wanted to pay. It was only just ok.

• Stayed: September 2008, travelled solo
1  Thank trevorcaroline
Reviewed 13 September 2008

I would just like to warn holidaymakers who may wish to book this hotel in the future. We stayed for two weeks commencing 4th July 2008 on a half board basis. However what the description of the hotel failed to mention was that breakfast and evening meal where to be taken in the Mythos restaurant which is directly below the Gouvia hotel. Breakfast was cornflakes or bread and cheese, the evening meal had to be taken between 6pm and 8pm as we realised as the holiday went on the restaurant wanted the hotel guests out of the way before the paying public came in. There was no menu choice in the evening our food was just placed in front of us (take it or leave it) dessert on one evening was a peach, on another a banana just served up on a plate. I have complained to medhotels about it but they just said we should have told the rep when we were there, which is ridiculous because they would not have served us a different meal to the rest of the hotel guests. Please do not waste your hard earned money at the Gouvia!

• Stayed: July 2008, travelled with family
1  Thank Reynolds7
Reviewed 30 July 2008

We arrived to Gouvia Hotel on the 15 july, the entrance was from the hotel restaurant. We first got scared because the halls were a real mess but then we realized it was the hour when the rooms were cleaned and that was the main reason why the corridors were so dirty.
Our room was fine, with a nice balcony, pretty comfortable beds, a TV, air conditioning...the bathroom could have been a little bigger as you didn't had enough space to breath and I was almost every time making shower with the door open.
The breakfast was...let's say boring...same things every day: cheese, ham, jam, milk, cereals and coffee...so we didn't had breakfast from there the last days...
dinner was fine...not good, not bad...just fine. The waiter who served our dinner a nice old man who was always very funny :) just for his presence :))
The pool is great, warm clean water...it was a pleasure to come late in the afternoon there and relax.
It's a hotel that deserves his 2*+...maybe 3...
The place it self was cool. Its very nice for young people as there are a lot of places you can go at night to have fun. Plenty of clubs, bars, lots of young people...
The Gouvia beach was bad...cold water, bad view, rocks beach...high prices for the sun beds...mhh.
But if you rent a car you can go to the sandy beaches in Sidari in only 45 minutes, or see the beautiful views from Barbati and many more.
For me it was more than ok and I will go there again for sure.
The bad thing is that I've lost there my beautiful sweetish mermaid David...oh well:D

• Stayed: July 2008, travelled with friends
1  Thank AuraAura
Reviewed 5 July 2008

Myself and my 14yr old daughter stayed here for 1 week. The cab dropped us off and I thought he had left us at a restaurant, but no, it was the entrance to the hotl thru their restaurant.
We arrived midday to find no-one ( and there never is) at reception, the barman came and checked us in, not a problem.

To the room we went, basic, comfy clean and a view of the street. Aircon worked ok. TV as always has the bbc news and little else.

The bathroom let the room down as I felt like i was sitting in the shower instead of on the toilet, bad designs.

Never ate breakfast after the first day, bread and jams with either cheese or ham and tea or coffee, that really is the choice, not joking.

We ate most nights at their restaurant outside, always helpful friendly and cooked well, not the cheapest on the strip but half bord meant we only ever paid for lunch.

Staff were friendly except the old dude, he never cracked a smile.

It was quiet when we were there, travelled around by bus alot looking for decent beaches, that was hard to do ! the local beach really is crap, shingle and cold atmosphere and costly to rent beds and brollys.

The hotl pool was good, only ever us there all day and the sun gets it most of the day.. downside the pool is bloody freezing, does not walm up all day.

Liked it here and would go back but not in high season as the resort is too small to cope with drunken brits and 18-30 kiss me nows !

• Stayed: May 2008, travelled with family
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
3  Thank lamio01
Reviewed 10 June 2008

We arrived at the Gouvia Hotel late on a Friday night and were warmly welcomed. The rooms were basic but had everything we needed for a short stay. Although we didn't use the pool it looked very nice. Having a late drink we asked for olives and crisps only to have freshly olives and freshly prepared potato chips produced within minutes - outstanding. We were also told we could keep our room until whatever time we wanted the next day until our yacht charter was available. The breakfast was basic but adequate. You get what you pay for and this was good value for money and the service was excellent. We'd definitely go back again for a short stay.

• Stayed: May 2008, travelled with friends
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1  Thank Val101