“Covers the basics”

Ranked #17 of 17 Hotels in Gouvia
Sunderland, United Kingdom
“Covers the basics”
Reviewed 20 August 2014 via mobile

I'll try and cover everything about this place as fairly as possible:

This hotel stay will entirely depend on you as a person and what you want from your holiday.

If you like modern fittings and mod cons, stay clear, you won't enjoy it here. The place was built in the 70s and I don't think it's changed since.

Personally, I've got no problems with it. A hotel for me is a base for your trip and you sleep and wash there. The WIFI is free in case you need that and it works very well.

The rooms are basic rooms with two beds, wardrobe and a mirror, very typical across Greece. There is air con in the rooms @€5 a night. It worked perfectly for us. The 1st floor balconies are long and spacious looking on to road, not sure about poolside. The bathrooms are TERRIBLE, I'll hold nothing back here, they're TINY. Ridicuoulusly so. But the shower was good and toilet flushed etc.

The hotel in General is clean, well kept, staff are good, small restaurant to the front is basic and average food.

If you're staying b&b the food is as follows: bread cut too thick, jams, boiled eggs, cheese, meat and tomatoes. Basic cereal selections and the worst tasting coffee, tea and oj going. We nipped bakers down road most days for big croissants and a latte.

Despite the downsides the place is just what we needed for our trip and is as basic as most budget Greece accommodations and if that's what you're after then it's good, if you want some luxury then it's not.

Some reviews have been unfair IMO and I've tried to be as impartial as possible

Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
4 Thank CraigS14

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (20)
  • Greek first
  • Polish first
Glasgow, United Kingdom
Reviewed 30 July 2014 via mobile

Currently staying at the Gouvia Hotel . Family run hotel. Small and friendly with wonderful helpfull staff . Owner Yannis could not do more to make our stay nice. Hotel very basic but clean and comfortable and food excellent . Good value for money . We only paid £600 each 2 weeks half board and for that price you get what you pay for . Would definitely come back to this hotel x

Stayed July 2014, travelled with friends
6 Thank jean s
Leeuwarden, The Netherlands
Reviewed 16 July 2014

Gouvia hotel was very basic, but clean. The rooms were cleaned every day. The rooms were very small though, especially the shower. Beds were a bit hard. Breakfast was poor; bread, jam, (old) boiled eggs, cheese and tomatoes, coffee was horrible, tea was ok. The hotel looked really nice though, with all the plants and flowers, and the restaurant is nice. The staff is very friendly and helpfull.
Gouvia is touristic and there's not much to do, except for some bars and restaurants, but it's a great location if you decide to rent a scooter. It's near Corfu city and go up North or West for some really lovely beaches.
We've had a really lovely holiday at Gouvia Hotel and I would stay there again.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Evelienv87
Strathpeffer, United Kingdom
Reviewed 19 June 2014

Just came home from a stay here.
CONS. Beds are concrete slabs, rooms small but clean, shower space extremely cramped even for the skinniest of people. Certain waiters only attentive to pretty ladies ! Also which disappointed me greatly is that I only drink Jack Daniels and after the first they saw fit to give me a cheaper version of bourbon......hoping I wouldn't notice , so I stopped drinking there.
If on half board basis which we were it is a set menu every night there isn't a choice.( didn't know this on booking !) Morning coffee is like dirty dish water , no taste of coffee.

PROS. Terrific location, everything on the doorstep.
Spyros the manager although straight faced is a lovely man.
Evening meal is great, really good food, varied menu and big helpings !
The waiter Tsakis is worth his weight in gold, works 10 times harder than the rest and is very helpful and efficient !
Overall a good cheap option in a great location, we loved the food and would certainly eat there again, but not stay.

Room Tip: Choose a pool side room as you don't hear the road. If you like a hard bed and can cope with a...
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
3 Thank wolfclan
Reviewed 3 October 2013

Just returned from Gouvia hotel corfu , hotel ok , staff very good , rooms clean ,Maid was very good, cleaned and emptied bin every day ,breakfast was poor and bland, hotel Manager not very friendly , hotel very close to beach and other Restaurants,and bars , just 50 metres away was a excellent Bakery called Chocos food was second to none excellent, also the owner spoke excellent English and very helpful give it a try you will not be disappointed

Room Tip: The rooms over looking the pool might be quieter , we were in the main hotel very noisy , they have...
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
6 Thank Vincent M

Travellers are raving about these Gouvia hotels

Liverpool, United Kingdom
Reviewed 3 October 2013

I stayed at the Gouvia Hotel in Corfu on 20th September for a week. I booked a deluxe single with bed and breakfast. The room was an ordinary basic twin, which was quite adequate for me, although some people may expect more with the word deluxe included in the description. There was no kettle in the room, I was not to bothered though as I always take my own as some hotels say it's provided and it's not. Very annoying when you just want a cuppa on the balcony. I had the pool view which I had asked for, that was nice.

The hotel was spotless, my room was cleaned and the sheets were changed every day, I have never had this anywhere before. The public area's were nice and the restaurant was beautiful with all it's foliage and statues. I didn't eat there but I heard the food was very good.

The breakfast was very basic. Bread, cold meat, jam, cheese, tomatoes and boiled eggs. There was no toaster. The orange juice was very nice but the tea was very weak.

Gouvia is a nice little resort. The hotel is on the main street and right on the doorstep are bars, gift shops and various eateries. Even with the close proximity of everything, it was not noisy.
The beach is stony and just a 2 min walk away, not the best, but there are plenty of them on this lovely island.

The bus stop was a two min walk away. There were the local blue busses every 20 mins to Corfu town and there were timetables for the long distance green busses. I got around quite well.
I chose Gouvia for it's central location and it did not disappoint. I would choose to stay here again to see other parts places I didn't get around to visit this time.

In other reviews there were comments about the grumpy manager. He may appear like that but he's a nice man and let me keep the room till my pick up at 5pm, so I was able to shower and change.
Yes I would recommend this hotel :-)

Room Tip: Pool view would be preferable to street view as music may be heard'
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank AnnPen13
Tallinn, Estonia
Reviewed 30 September 2013

We stayed there in the end of September for 1 week. The staff was very friendly, rooms were clean and I really enjoyed the food, what they served in the evening.

When you have HB then in the evening you will get a starter, main course with salad and a dessert or some fruit. AND we had opportunity to choose if we want dinner in the evening or for lunch- so we had dinner in other places too. One time they didn't had food ready at lunchtime and they made "special lunch" for us. Very nice :)
The house wine was also very good, compared to other restaurants we went there. And the atmosphere was very-very good, many evenings we sat there for long time and drunk wine.
Unfortunatley the breakfast was very poor: bread, ham, cheese, tomato, milk, cereal.. and that's it...

Our room was located in the other side of the pool, and it was spacious, we had a nice balcony and a pool view. The cleaning lady was really funnt- every time she knocked, then quickly opened the door and said: "Hi, clean, tomorrow?" - Eventully she had to clean our room only 2 times, because when we told her :" You can clean today, we can stay at the pool," she didn't undrestand us, but still she gave us new, clean towels :)

The staff coud speak more than 10 languages (expect the owner) and they made our stay there very memorabe and good. Last day our check out time was 12.00, but flight 23.30 and they let us stay in the room without paying anything.

I would recommend this hotel definately! :)

Room Tip: Other side of the pool + ask for pool view
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple