“Was once a great hotel”

Messina Resort Hotel
Ranked #2 of 3 Hotels in Kalo Nero
Reviewed 2 July 2013 via mobile

What can one say this hotel has past it's due date. I am sure that this hotel has seen better days.
Positives excellent location on the beach close yo all restaurants. The restaurant directly across the road Zephores is great try the stuffed sardines and eggplant with feta and tomatoes amazing food. Other positives good wifi large room.
Negatives room maintainable is poor with doors falling off hinges dark outdated furniture. Bathroom has bad smells from drains. Musky smell in room because of carpet. Lovely terrace but no privacy. Service is poor its obvious that staff is lazy and customer service does not mean a great deal to them. We asked for two extra pillows and this caused a major issue. We received two pillows that were used by other guest and smelled like a garbage bin. These were given back immediately. We believe that this had became a package tour hotel as we had 165 Russian tourist staying at this time and therefore the staff were feed up with tourist in general and I guess we fell into this same pigeon hole.
Overall we would not recommend this hotel and do not be fooled by the outside appearance as this is definitely NOT a 4 star hotel

• Stayed: July 2013
2  Thank Lavite1954

Reviewed 4 April 2013

I visited last summer this hotel with my friends and we were impressed by the beauty of this resort. It looks brand new and everything is nicely designed. The rooms are great and it has very good service. Access to the beach is good, but food is just ok.I think breakfast could be a little improved, but besides that, everything else was perfect. Garden and sea view mostly! Wanna go back, for sure!

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled with friends
1  Thank NateB972
Reviewed 22 September 2012

The hotel was build about ten years ago, and on a grand scale, but it now looking rundown, and its management is far from efficient. So dont be fooled by the photographs on hotel website: they either depict an era long gone or they are willfully misleading.

The rooms are generous size: ours was a maisonette, with the bedroom on the second floor with its own balcony. But we didnt use the balcony as it was overlooking other hotel rooms and gave no privacy. Apart from the size of the room and friendly reception staff, nothing good to report. Bedding smelled like chemicals, and the small bathroom has that classic musty hotel bathroom smell. Furniture is dark and old, some of it even falling apart. Breakfast was poor quality and coffee came out of the nescafe machine. The pool that is made to look so glam in the phots in reality is a shallow paddling pool right next to the bar and restaurant. It is clearly not a well-managed place: the cleaning staff turned up at our door when the sigh outside it said do not disturb, and my request for beach towels was fulfilled so begrudgingly I wished I never asked.

My advice, for couples and families with children alike, is to give this hotel a miss and drive on to the beaches of Filiatra, Gialova or Pilos. This is what we did, and found a delightful self-catering apartment 5 minutes walk from a white sandy beach, for exactly the same price as this fake three start hotel.

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank os243
Reviewed 27 August 2012

I stayed in the 4 bed maissonete with a friend and our two 4-year olds. The hotel complex was newly built in pristine condition. The gardens were well maintained and clean. The rooms were very spacious, well equiped and comfortable. The top room had a double bed while the ground room had a reclining sofa bed. My friend told me that it was quite comfy too. The hotel being built inside the village means that it does not boast large grounds, so the buildings were rather crammed, although this did not disturb us a bit. The swimming pool was clean and the kids loved splashing around. One negative point is that shady places were sparce. Poolside was also a great place to relax with a drink in the evenings, as it also had a fantastic view over the bay.
What I particularly enjoyed in the hotels were the meals. Very well prepared and presented. Buffet for breakfast and dinner, a la carte for lunch. Ok, the service was not extremelly professional but again, this did not affect us at all.
The only two negatives I saw in this hotel were first the lack of a play area for the children and the light switches at the top room of the maissonete. Both are just minor glitches, so overall I would strongly reccomend this hotel to anyone who is not looking for a special treat but for a nice pleasant holiday by the sea at affordable prices.

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled with family
2  Thank altiport
Reviewed 19 July 2012

We visited with my boyfriend and had reserved a double studio. We were given a room adequate for the handicapped, which wouldn't be a problem if it weren't for the open shower that made it very uncomfortable to shower and wet the whole bathroom. We asked for a different room but they told us that all other rooms were occupied.
Keep in mind that there are no double beds but twin beds in many of the rooms, so if you go as a couple you will not be sleeping on the same bed. The twin beds though, were very comfortable.
The pool was beautiful and very clean. The breakfast had variety but not quality. The juices were unacceptable and if you wanted a fresh juice you had to order from the bar and pay 3.50 euros. There were no other fruits than apples, kiwi and oranges while there are so many delicious fruit in Greece in July. The time of the breakfast is until 10. Not a time that you want to wake up when you are on vacation and the worst of all is that if you go 10-15 minutes before 10, you will find everything cold as they turn off the machines.
The location is very good, very nice sea view, the garden was very well taken care of and the complex is nicely structured. The rooms have been neglected though, kitchenette does not work, mini bar door does not close...
If the hotel paid more attention to the interior of the rooms and the breakfast, it would be a great place to stay at.

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Loula11
Reviewed 7 June 2012

After a long drive we were desperate to settle down for the night. A local suggested Kalo Nero and as soon as I spotted the hotel (well kept and extremely cleaned, and beautifully designed) I was certain we would stay there, even if it cost a bit more. We were pleasantly surprised over the cost - very reasonable for a hotel across the sea, given the room size and facilities (microwave, fridge, oven, stovetop, and sink). This is a perfect place for a family to settle for their holidays. The beach was very clean and the location was within a reasonable distance to major attractions (i.e. ancient Olympia).

My only complaint was that 2:50am our hotel room door was opened by a staff member (with new guests). I was disappointed that upon check-out I didn't receive an apology and there was no mention of the incident until I brought it up. I would have expected a small discount off the room (10%, a free meal, or just simply an apologize) but wasn't offered anything other than an explanation that it was the staff member's first day and he got the rooms confused. This was inexcusable given my loss of sleep but nevertheless I would return to the hotel as the benefits outweighed that experience.

Room Tip: Sea View is amazing
  • Stayed: June 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank aekbabe
Reviewed 19 November 2011

I had no idea how the rooms in this hotel would be since i hadn't checked it on the internet beforehand. So when they showed me my room i thought i was dreaming. Extremely spacious with lovely wooden furniture and a view to the sea that was but a few paces away, The location was excellent and the breakfast yummy :-) .Also, the staff was really kind and helpful. An excellent opportunity for a little luxury. Definitely recommend it.

Room Tip: upper floor has more spacious roof
  • Stayed: October 2011, travelled with friends
The Westin Resort, Costa Navarino
Artina Nuovo
Artina Nuovo
#1 of 3 in Marathopoli

Been to Messina Resort Hotel? Share your experiences!