“For Your Very Own Taste of Melaka in Penang”

Mama Lissa's Restoran Nasi Lemak Tradisi
Ranked #529 of 1,852 Restaurants in Penang Island
Cuisines: Malaysian
Description: Facebook page: http://www.facebook.com/MamaLissas
Description: Facebook page: http://www.facebook.com/MamaLissas
Reviewed 4 June 2012

I happened upon Mama Lissa's while exploring Bukit Jambul Shopping Complex & a combination of the aroma of freshly cooked spicy chicken & their inviting green semi-alfresco environment persuaded me to stop for lunch.

The saying 'When in Rome' is always at the forefront of my thinking when it comes to food selection so I followed my nasal perception with the fried chicken & accompanied it with their signature Nasi Lemak.

The essence of pandan leaf was evident in the fragrant coconut rice & the accompanying sambal delivered an initial sweet taste that was very pleasant followed by a delayed sense of the heat from the chillies; wow! Although it reminded me of the Thai style 'sweet & hot' this was a very Malay dish & it was totally moreish.

Quite often I've found fried chicken to be much better from small independent restaurants than the big chains & happily Mama Lissa's chicken was quite delicious with a taste of fresh lemon grass & ginger filtering through the concoction of herbs producing a very satisfying taste sensation.

My wife opted for the Melaka favourite dish of Asam Pedas & she was not disappointed as she wolfed it down pausing only for the occasional purr of culinary contentment.

I find it kinda obscene that we enjoyed such a fantastic meal & yet the bill was under RM15 & that was including drinks! Absolutely fantastic value:-)

2  Thank JamesJazz