“Fabulous”

Chateau Golf des Sept Tours
Reviewed 1 June 2014

My journey to the Chateau didn't start well as they clearly mark the golf, but not the chateau name. So I went to turn around and, with all the rain we had for the past week, got stuck. In calling the hotel to seek help, they called a tow truck AND the reception clerk came to see if I was ok. He stayed with me until I was out and then I followed him to the hotel. Then he carried my two suitcases upstairs and made my dinner reservation. The wait staff were friendly and helpful. My meals - dinner and breakfast - were excellent. The grounds were beautiful - other than the golf course you are truly in a forest. The birds sounded nice, especially the cuckoo I heard! And no it wasn't a clock. My room was clean and plain but the bathroom was sumptuous, with a robe waiting for me. Except for their lack of good signage, everything else was excellent and I would highly recommend it. If you are bringing children, there will not be much for them to do.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled solo
1  Thank Ellen F
There are newer reviews for Chateau Golf des Sept Tours

Reviewed 6 August 2013

My husband and I stayed at this chateau in mid-July, 2013. We had a difficult time finding the chateau as we were not coming from any of the "major" cities that were listed on the website's access page. (As a side note for "mapquest" or "google maps" users: The chateau does not appear on their sites correctly and driving directions are not accurate. My advice: Get a GPS unit for your rental car!) Eventually, we found the chateau and had a speedy check-in. The woman at reception was very friendly and helpful. I have been studying French and practicing the "essentials" for check-in/out, dinner orders, etc., but she was happy to switch to English when I struggled with a phrase or two.

If you have mobility issues, this chateau may not be the best for you. You will need to climb the spiral staircase to your room, with your luggage. This was not a major problem for us as I made my husband carry all of the heavy bags! :) However, I could see where this could be a problem for others. Our room key was a monster of a thing! It was very large and heavy but I am certain that if you were leaving the chateau, they would hold on to it for you so that you would not have to lug it around while you sightsee.

The outside of this chateau is exactly what I envisioned when we decided to stay in a chateau. The exterior is really beautiful and charming. I felt as though we could have been characters in a fairy tale as we explored the grounds. We were able to take a quick dip in the pool before our dinner reservation. They also have a hot tub which would be lovely on a cool evening.

Our room was certainly spacious enough for the two of us and overlooked the golf course. There was no closet but for one night, we did not need a closet. There was a rack for clothing items if you plan to do some unpacking and are in need of hanging space. The bathroom was in good shape and updated nicely. Like most of the hotels we stayed in while in France, there is a detachable shower head and a tub which should meet the needs of just about anyone.

So now...to explain the title of my review...

I had previously read reviews which indicated that the chateau has no central air conditioning or room air conditioners. This would not have been a problem (we encountered this in other areas in France as well) except that our stay was on one of the hottest days of the summer, leaving our room extremely stifling and uncomfortable. We were able to open the large window, but with no screens, our room became a haven for every type of insect you can imagine. It would have been an entomologist's dream! My husband was up at 1:00 AM swatting at the bugs that were swarming our faces. We ended up closing the window which then left us with no fresh/cooler air coming into the room. The chateau did provide a fan, which we used, but in extreme temperatures, this did very little to moderate the heat.

If we had visited in the fall or early spring with cooler tempertatures, I am certain our stay would have been more enjoyable. I still very much enjoyed the experience and love the fact that I can say that I have stayed in a true French chateau. This was not the most luxurious place I've ever stayed, but it was certainly charming in its own right.

Should you stay here? If you want to stay at a charming, romantic, and unique chateau that is reasonably priced, then you book the Chateau des Sept Tours. If you are looking for a five-star experience, look for something else. My husband and I would certainly stay again...as long as we didn't stay during the hottest part of the year!

Room Tip: As far as I know, there is no air conditioning except on the main floor at reception. No screens in...
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
3  Thank chocolatelabmommy
Reviewed 3 August 2013

My husband, my 15 year old son and I stayed in this hotel for 5 nights at the end of July. The first two days the place was deserted and we wondered how they stayed in business, but as soon as August started and the schools broke up/and workers clocked off, it soon filled up. As far as I could tell, most of the negative reviews came from the French themselves. Perhaps they are more used to chateaux in general and the beauty of the Loire Valley and their expectations are higher. However, we, as a family, were enchanted by the place.

The castle itself is stunning, ivy clad with towering spires. The pool is smaller than the photo (aren't they all), but we didn't have to compete for sunbeds or space and it is right outside the hotel. There is a club brasserie which sells a very decent lunch and doubles as a pro shop.

Our room wasn't perhaps as sumptuous as the photos might have suggested, but it was decorated tastefully with a good sized bathroom, huge fluffy towels and immaculate bed-linen. A shuttered, casement window provided wonderful views. We ate in the hotel restaurant one evening and the food was delicious. Again, perhaps the French have a more exacting palate, but it was cooked well and the puddings were scrummy. I agree with the Nespresso machine problem and having to pay for the coffee capsules, but really - when you're leaning out of a chateau window gazing at acres of gorgeous grounds and sipping coffee, it's a little nit-picky. If the owners cared to spend £5m or so on re-vamping the chateau (and probably losing half its character), it would probably preclude even the averagely well-off from staying there. If you're looking for a neon-lit night life and wall-to-wall luxury, then this probably isn't for you. If you want beauty, total peace, tranquillity and a relaxing break, with a little golf thrown in, then I recommend it highly.

The location is remote, but there is a pizzeria 10 minutes away and several villages within half an hour which have restaurants. The town of Tours - about a 45 minute car ride away - is awash with bistros, restaurants, clubs and bars - the old town was buzzing with atmosphere, Vespas zooming round every corner. We will definitely return.

Room Tip: It would appear that Groupon bookers don't have much of a say in their choice of room. We trave...
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 13 June 2013

The building is amazing, the hotel is huge, perfect to whom wants to learn how to play golf. All rooms are quiet, especially because the hotel is located in the middle of a forest. Perfect for relaxing, with a very nice swimming pool. The breakfast is very good.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Jule2008
Reviewed 24 October 2012

While the rooms are in need of upgrading, the service was exceptionally efficient and nice. We had some issues with our car, which they promptly resolved by bringing in their own mechanic who fixed the problem and didn't even want a tip. The personnel at the reception were courteous and delightful, warm and extremely helpful. If the rooms get a make over, this place could be a gem.

Room Tip: the location is nice and quiet, I prefer the golf side rather than the pool side. Rooms need improve...
  • Stayed: October 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 24 September 2012

I stayed here with a group. While the grounds and chateau itself were lovely, the harried staff had trouble keeping things organized. The supposed wi-fi was either sporadic or non-existent. No one seemed to know why this was the case. The bellman doubled as a bartender, the desk clerk had to run off to "stir the eggs," well, you get the picture. 2 women in our group had all their stuff moved to accommodate other guests, without their permission. Our room was borderline seedy, with curtains that were completely sheer (at least it faced the golf course, so no one could see in). Yet other rooms were lovely. So there was some inconsistency, there. I can understand the spotty wi-fi service, since this is a bit out in the country. Might be a nice place if you like golf. Personally, I'd not stay there again.

Room Tip: Get a room with a queen bed or larger. Twin rooms are not as nice.
  • Stayed: June 2012, travelled with friends
Reviewed 15 July 2012

A pretty chateau hotel located in an ideal stop-off point if you are travelling down to the western/central Loire Valley area around Angers/Saumur/Chinon/Tours/Amboise and your schedule makes the thought of the last 60 minutes driving into the above cities/towns unappealing - particularly if you fancy a round of golf to boot.

This is exactly what my party were intending and we got more or less what we expected - no more no less. Specifics:

The chateau is attractive, as the pics suggest, and is in typical condition for such a place in a slightly out of town position - ie the cashflow generated by the business will be unlikely to enable a complete reno of the building unless a "corporate" decides to make it a destination in its own right. In some parts of the world (my home area included) this building would be such a destination resort but, being located adjacent to a top 3 collection of world heritage, renaissance buildings anywhere in the world, it is reduced to the status of just a nice looking hotel.

In my opinion the rooms are what you would expect for the price/location. They were comfortable, spacious, good outlook over the estate/golf, quiet and with some atmosphere. They are also just a little tired but this should not put you off in isolation.

The dining is limited, as there just don't seem to be enough guests to get is really "cooking". We were one of only two dining parties (in July on a Sunday) and had pre-arranged a table d'hote meal that was of limited choice but perfectly well presented and reasonably tasty - with no problems.

Continental breakfast was fine for us (4) but another guest, later to the table, had to complain that the food had been sitting around for ages and not been refreshed before some decent cooked food was provided.

The wine is another story. the list is short and the prices are ridiculously high (double to triple normal value - Sancerre 60 Euros!) - had we not been "captive" we would not have bought any at all.

The bar area outside the clubhouse/pool/former stables is very good and the bar food was good.

The golf is a pleasant course and is a game of 2 halves - 9 original holes are a real challenge,attractive, wooded and great fun; 9 more recent additions are more bland but not unpleasant. Overall better than average for the area I would think.

The staff were all helpful, friendly and attentive without exception.

Overall I would recommend this as a stopoff point on the road to the Loire valley or as a base if you want one place from which to visit the towns above and the UNESCO chateaux.

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled with friends
Also consider these accommodations in or near Courcelles-de-Touraine
Chateau d'Artigny
#1 of 2 in Langeais
Le Haut des Lys
Le Haut des Lys
#1 of 4 in Villandry

Been to Chateau Golf des Sept Tours? Share your experiences!