“Excellent Stay!” 5 of 5 bubbles

Te Nikau Retreat
Waterloo, Canada
“Excellent Stay!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 April 2014

I am so glad that I had the opportunity to stay at the Retreat. The dorm rooms were fairly empty when I stayed so that made it quiet and peaceful which was nice. I loved the layout of the room with the beds on the floor. It was cozy and welcoming.

The staff came to pick me up in the town when I called so it was nice that they were so flexible otherwise I wouldn't have had a way to get there.

The kitchen was one of the nicest I came across in NZ. With coffee/tea, oil, utensils etc. It was fully stocked and clean. Someone cares about this place and it's obvious. If I could have, I would have stayed more nights!

Thanks for a wonderful stay.

Room Tip: The privates are very unique and nice (I saw them!) but I stayed in the dorm section and that was fi...
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled solo

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (35)
miami, fl
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 April 2014

If you dream of staying in a cabin in the middle of the rainforest and 5 min.walk from the beach, this is the place! great room: clean, simple and surrounded by lots of trees and birds. The beach is just 5 min.away. the common facilities are very handy (kitchen, washing machine) and the staff is super nice. We were greeted by Mauro who was very hospitable, friendly and professional. We will definitively recommend this place to others.

Room Tip: all the rooms are different and with their own charm.
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
Swindon, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 April 2014

I had stayed here a few years ago and really loved it. This time was a lot different. The management have changed and it seems to be a bit of a mess.

I stayed in a seven bed dorm in Rata Lodge. The fire alarm was faulty and went off a few times in the middle of the night. Not a great experience.

The woofers did a good job keeping the place clean and were friendly. The house was pretty busy when I was there, but there was enough room to get your own space.

I also asked if I could get dropped off at the bus in Punakaiki on the morning I was leaving. I then went and waited in the main house. I almost missed my bus because the manager left the hostel and left a note at the reception saying she would be back at 1:30pm. An hour after my bus to Fox Glacier would leave. Luckily I found one of the woofers who managed to get in front of the bus which had already gone, and stop it.

The hostel has bought two extra houses on the site and I hear they plan to make these into places for younger backpackers. I hope this doesn't turn into a party place. It will completely destroy the whole idea of it being a retreat.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled solo
Mumbai (Bombay), India
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 April 2014

I stayed there for only one night at the Hideaway and I wish and soooo wish that the stay could have been longer. We were living right in the middle of a rainforest and it is an experience that is incomparable to anything. You can hear the roar of the sea and chirping of the birds. I loved everything about the place. The communal kitchen is a minute away and if you are not carrying your own groceries- worry not. You can donate money to the tiny budhha and buy stuff like pulses, rice, onions, etc. The herbs have been provided for.

I would highly recommend to every nature lover.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
Turku, Finland
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 March 2014

This place was quite unique and nothing special to complain about. It depends in which lodge you are staying, the first one up on the hill was modern and had amazing views. The lodge where I stayed was just in the middle of the bushes. And it was quite hot to sleep. One night was quite enough :)!

• Stayed February 2014, travelled solo
Arizona
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 March 2014 via mobile

I can just about guarantee that you've never experienced anything like this, because Te Nikau is completely unique. The developed space is minimized while the rainforest is maximized. Hideaway cabin is cozy, barely enough room for one large bed, 1 small bed and a small couch. Minimal cooking facilities in room but communal kitchen is about a two minute walk away. We loved this place. Could hear the muffled roar of the wild surf nearby and surrounded by birdsong. But probably not for everybody. I was told "no keys" when we checked in even though there was a locking mechanism on sliding glass door, so there was no way to secure belongings in room. Also no screens on wndows so you can expect some insects to get into the room. They were not bothersome to us. Also no toiletries in room so bring your own soap and shampoo. Beach is five minute walk away via Truman track. We liked the vibe of this place, sort of the communal feel. Overall recommended, just be aware of what you're getting into.

Stayed March 2014, travelled with friends
Singapore, Singapore
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 March 2014

in the middle of the rainforest. It is a unique experience and I'm happy we stayed there, though it's so remote that we wouldn't have stayed there longer than 1 night within our 7-year old.
The beach a few min walk away has a stunning view of the sea. It's also not far at all from the pancake rocks by car.
This place could be improved though by extending the wifi range beyond the reception area, especially since we had no handphone reception. The room was also the smallest we had (we stayed at 6 different places) which, considering that there is lots of space around, is too bad.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Antoine977
Also consider these accommodations in or near Punakaiki
Paparoa Park Motel
#2 of 7 in Punakaiki
Beach Hideaway
Beach Hideaway
#1 of 3 in Barrytown

Been to Te Nikau Retreat? Share your experiences!