“Very Friendly”
Review of Te Nikau Retreat

Te Nikau Retreat
Reviewed 16 June 2014 via mobile

Went for a drive from Chch and got a little carried away. Arrived in Punakaiki at 1900 with no where organized to stay on Queens Birthday weekend. No clever. Rang around and could not find anything. It was recommended that I try Te Nikau. They had one dorm bed left. Not normally my scene since the Army lol bit beggars can't be choosers. Very warm welcome. Lovely buildings and very cozy, comfortable and warm. Even have the best and biggest fresh muffins for $2 each and German bread which is baked every day. The setting is just fantastic with heaps of native bush. Will be back with my girl friend to stay in a cabin. Reasonably priced, cozy and friendly. Great place to stay for your Coast experience.

Stayed: May 2014, travelled solo
1  Thank adventureguyNZ

Reviewed 13 June 2014

We stayed for one night at the Tui Cottage in April 2014. We reached post sunset so it was a bit dark and its a bit difficult to locate (take GPS co ordinates). The Tui Cottage is a bit away from the main facility but what a location! Its in the midst of your own personal rainforest (see pic). It felt amazing. The cottage itself was small and cosy. Well located to visit Punakaiki and the beach. Wish we had more than one night.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 25 May 2014

It was late and dark when we arrived Punakaiki, so we didn't want to drive around looking for accommodation, but it was a really pleasant surprise when we drove into the area, very unique place surrounded by trees, very nice and quiet, we stayed in Te Ruru Lodge, I think there were about 4 rooms and we happened to be the only guest for that night which was really nice (the other guests were in other types of rooms separate from Te Ruru Lodge). Kitchen and living room were very nice and cosy. We could even look at stars through our room's window. There were 2 lovely cats in the lodge :)
In the morning we took a walk to the beach but we got a little lost trying to return to lodge, suggest that there be more signages to direct guests back to resort.
I would loved to stay there longer if I could, would definitely go there again!

Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank snowcat21
Reviewed 27 April 2014

I am so glad that I had the opportunity to stay at the Retreat. The dorm rooms were fairly empty when I stayed so that made it quiet and peaceful which was nice. I loved the layout of the room with the beds on the floor. It was cozy and welcoming.

The staff came to pick me up in the town when I called so it was nice that they were so flexible otherwise I wouldn't have had a way to get there.

The kitchen was one of the nicest I came across in NZ. With coffee/tea, oil, utensils etc. It was fully stocked and clean. Someone cares about this place and it's obvious. If I could have, I would have stayed more nights!

Thanks for a wonderful stay.

Room Tip: The privates are very unique and nice (I saw them!) but I stayed in the dorm section and that was fi...
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled solo
Reviewed 22 April 2014

If you dream of staying in a cabin in the middle of the rainforest and 5 min.walk from the beach, this is the place! great room: clean, simple and surrounded by lots of trees and birds. The beach is just 5 min.away. the common facilities are very handy (kitchen, washing machine) and the staff is super nice. We were greeted by Mauro who was very hospitable, friendly and professional. We will definitively recommend this place to others.

Room Tip: all the rooms are different and with their own charm.
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 15 April 2014

I had stayed here a few years ago and really loved it. This time was a lot different. The management have changed and it seems to be a bit of a mess.

I stayed in a seven bed dorm in Rata Lodge. The fire alarm was faulty and went off a few times in the middle of the night. Not a great experience.

The woofers did a good job keeping the place clean and were friendly. The house was pretty busy when I was there, but there was enough room to get your own space.

I also asked if I could get dropped off at the bus in Punakaiki on the morning I was leaving. I then went and waited in the main house. I almost missed my bus because the manager left the hostel and left a note at the reception saying she would be back at 1:30pm. An hour after my bus to Fox Glacier would leave. Luckily I found one of the woofers who managed to get in front of the bus which had already gone, and stop it.

The hostel has bought two extra houses on the site and I hear they plan to make these into places for younger backpackers. I hope this doesn't turn into a party place. It will completely destroy the whole idea of it being a retreat.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled solo
Reviewed 2 April 2014

I stayed there for only one night at the Hideaway and I wish and soooo wish that the stay could have been longer. We were living right in the middle of a rainforest and it is an experience that is incomparable to anything. You can hear the roar of the sea and chirping of the birds. I loved everything about the place. The communal kitchen is a minute away and if you are not carrying your own groceries- worry not. You can donate money to the tiny budhha and buy stuff like pulses, rice, onions, etc. The herbs have been provided for.

I would highly recommend to every nature lover.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Punakaiki
Paparoa Park Motel
2 mi away
Hydrangea Cottages
Hydrangea Cottages
#1 of 7 in Punakaiki

Been to Te Nikau Retreat? Share your experiences!